Regular Contributor

do you keep handbags out of dust cover for storage?

Have many handbags about 50. I store them in dust bags in Rubbermaid containers. Frustrating going through container and through dust bags to find a handbag. Today I took all spring and summer handbags out of container and dust bags and cleaned off shelf in closet to store them in. Took all fall and winter handbags and place in dust bags in Rubbermaid container. What a job! How do you store and display your handbags. Hopefully this system I will wear more of them this way.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: do you keep handbags out of dust cover for storage?

Oddly....I have never used the dust bags for my purses...I line them up on the closet shelf and there is where they stay....if I am going to use one...I take it down and dust it off...

I don't have as many as you....

Honored Contributor

Oh I have to keep my bags in their dustbags to keep them CLEAN! And I have them each in a window box. To make it easier I photograph my bags and pin a photo of that bag on each dustbag/box. The amount of money I spend on some of my purses I'm certainly not going to let them get dirty just sitting on a shelf in my closet. I'm a fanatic with the care of my bags.

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

If you have a bit of extra room in a closet, you might want to consider a hanging purse organizer. This is what I use for my purses and it's easy to see which purse is which and it keeps them from the dust. There's one here at clearance (H189818) which also includes a shoe organizer but you can use the shoe one for purses too (which is what I did). Smile

Respected Contributor

I have about 20 handbags total. I keep all of them in their dust bags because of the price I paid for them. They were expensive and I baby them.

ID2, I like the idea of pinning a photo to the dust bag so you know which purse is in the bag! Great idea.

Honored Contributor

just the dustbags

Trusted Contributor

I just read an article about leather and you aren't supposed to keep it in plastic. I don't have as many handbags as the OP. I keep them in dust bags on the floor of my closet. It's the only area I have. The shelves are filled with other items.

Super Contributor

I keep mine in dust covers to keep them clean - I live in a high desert climate and dust is an ongoing challenge. The exception to that is my Dooney Florentine bags. They seem to do better if they have air circulate around them. I've had them get fishy smelling when cooped up.

I have an Origami shelf with the fabric cover, and I keep them there.

The down side is that I forget what bags I have. I'm planning to photograph them all like ID2 mentioned, just need to get around to it.

Super Contributor

Nope, never used dustbags. The handbags just hang out in my closet (the door is shut 99% of the time, it's not a dust magnet). I don't keep shoes in special bags, so why fuss over handbags?

Esteemed Contributor

In dust bags or equivalent covers

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau