Trusted Contributor

Took G.I.L.I. TSV Backpack to the city

So I took my new black smaller version gi.l.i. backpack to the city this weekend and I just wanted to report my review of it as I used it walking everywhere.

My experience was that when I was wearing it as a backpack and having to carry bags on each arm, the straps kept falling off my shoulders and it was rather annoying. I kept having to stop and throw the straps back around my shoulders. If I had just the backpack on my back without other bags, it stayed on for the most part, but still slipped off now and then.

I also think I prefer the larger size. You can get so much more in it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Took G.I.L.I. TSV Backpack to the city

Thanks for you review! I am thinking about ordering the terra-cotta color ... but was wondering if the backpack is more a novelty then a useful bag.

Trusted Contributor

A backpack, while it may seem convenient is not a secure type of bag to carry in a city. It's too easy for pickpockets to open from behind without you even knowing. A cross body bag is safer, and still keeps both hands free.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/7/2015 pas4116 said:

A backpack, while it may seem convenient is not a secure type of bag to carry in a city. It's too easy for pickpockets to open from behind without you even knowing. A cross body bag is safer, and still keeps both hands free.

I agree with you pas4116, I normally would take a cross body bag, but I wanted to try it out. My main comment was to say that the straps don't stay secure on the shoulders while one is carrying other bags and that would apply anywhere, big city or small town.

Esteemed Contributor

The only friend I have ever known to have been a victim of a pickpocket was using a backpack purse.

After that I will never carry one as a purse.

Trusted Contributor

I guess that takes the novelty out of this bag. The backpack would be easy to pick pocket.

I was thinking it would be good for travel...then I would have to put my wallet in another bag.

It is a cute bag though...and would probably be good enough for everyday type of carrying.

Honored Contributor

Backpacks are so not my thing... but were I seeking one, I think I'd seek a backpack that really is a backpack and not one that's really a purse in disguise...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

Same timing for me; I spent two days using it in a major metropolitian area and was very pleased with it. Cognizant of purse-picking issues, I kept my wallet in the zippered pocket that lays against my back and is completely covered by the body of the backpack, making it a very difficult target. Anything else in the purse/backpack would be annoying to lose but not like credit cards, ID, and cash. As far as straps, I had no problems though I didn't carry bags in both arms. When I was in a massively crowded bar and restaurant I carried the bag with the handle over my shoulder. The bag was slim enough to nestle between my arm and side and the handle was long enough for over my shoulder, but I was not wearing a jacket and if I had been it might not have worked. For me, and without a jacket to add bulk, it was perfect. Only negative was the area where the backpack straps hooked together rubbed into my shoulder/back enough to make a slight red mark on my skin. No big deal and not painful, but I noticed when I was trying on clothes in Macys. All in all, I am very pleased with it.
Trusted Contributor

Librisfb...Thanks for your review! It helps to hear how the backpack works in person. What color did you get?
Honored Contributor

When backpacks were "in" the last time around ('90s maybe?) I used to carry them. However, I only carried them on one shoulder, never as a true back pack. It was more of a fashion thing for me. I would never wear one on my back.