Respected Contributor

G.I.L.I. Leather Large Roma Tote

Does anyone have the large Roma in grey ostrich?

I love the organization, shape, and look of the Roma 2's (have 4). The larger size is seductive, especially for times when I want to carry a LOT. Wondering what other women have experienced with the larger Roma? And the grey ostrich, in particular (what color is it really and does it soften?).

Trusted Contributor

Let me preface this by telling you I ADORE the large roma, and have it in every color except red, but I have the original, with no snap. I'm sure MANY will disagree with me here, but I didn't like the leather quality used on this bag. I feel the ostrich (ivory and natural) used on original large roma and medium roma was a MUCH better quality than what was used on roma 2, the milano, and so forth. That's why I was so happy to see the large hobos done in pebbled, high(er) quality leather. I ordered this grey ostrich large roma, and I loved the color. It was a true taupe, not grey in my opinion. The skin, however, was reminiscent of the stiff, subpar leather used on roma 2, and I didn't like that.

I am praying for a warm grey, pebbled leather to be offered in the large roma, I would buy it in a second. I would also love a navy in both bags. I bought this large roma in grey ostrich "as is" because my curiosity was piqued, and the feel of the bag didn't work for me. I hope someone can address whether or not this bag softens up. I find that I love the large hobo for daily use, but on days when I know I will need to carry 5 or 6 large folders, I reach for the large roma. You get a very nice depth (think folders stored north to south) from the large roma, and I do like that. I'm not sure how the snap would affect that, if at all. All my large romas are the originals with no snap.

Contributor

With all my Gili bags, it has been a "hit or miss" situation. I am picky about my handbags. I have bought and returned so many just because of a "flaw" of some sort. I really like these bags and that is why if I get one with a flaw, I will return and get another. Some of the "as is" bags have been better than the brand new ones for me.

I love my grey ostrich large Roma. It needed no break-in time, was very nice, easy to carry. I have the natural ostrich and black also. I had to order and return several natural ostrich because of smearing paint, dots literally popped off the bag, but I really wanted the bag and finally got one that was ok for me.

The grey ostrich really is a taupe color to me, but it will probably will easily match anything.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much, nolimitshopping and cofeec! Your descriptions were SO useful.

Of course, now the grey (taupe) ostrich is not available and I'm wondering if the Q is ever going to add supply to the GILI large Roma? [Additional sigh, here, for the increase in price, alas.]

However, my heart really yearns for this bag.

Super Contributor
Anyone know if and when the GILI Roma 2 will come back? I have them in black and cream snake. Great quality etc...
Honored Contributor
On 4/15/2015 MeganRose said: Anyone know if and when the GILI Roma 2 will come back? I have them in black and cream snake. Great quality etc...
I don't believe there are any plans to bring back the Roma2. I agree with you--it's my fav GILI handbag. I'm currently using the lovely blush. It was not included in the master list of 2015 GILI handbags. There is a small stirrup hobo TSV in May-overpriced, and last week I saw a sneak peek of a new backpack with long fringe. From the master list, there are still some new GILI canvas bags to come--they need to release those pronto since it's a summer fabric! I think they missed the boat with the Dooney TSV scheduled for May, the daffodil bag should have been released in Feb not May.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

I think we've seen the last of Roma 2's. The original Roma was too big for me, the Roma 2 is perfect. I own three (blush, black, dark brown) and I love them. I was hoping that QVC would come out with a light or medium blue but I don't don't think that's going to happen.

Honored Contributor
On 4/15/2015 1Professor said:

Thanks so much, nolimitshopping and cofeec! Your descriptions were SO useful.

Of course, now the grey (taupe) ostrich is not available and I'm wondering if the Q is ever going to add supply to the GILI large Roma? [Additional sigh, here, for the increase in price, alas.]

However, my heart really yearns for this bag.

I bought the Milano hobo in gray ostrich, but returned it due to quality. The bag was stiff, but that was not an issue, think it would have softened with use. The ostrich dots were poorly executed-several areas of the bag had visible smears and splotchy dots that looked they were painted by a 5 yr old. I remember reading many complaints about the dots, lots of smears suggesting they rushed the process not allowing proper time to dry/set. I decided not to reorder since there were many complaints, low probability of receiving a perfect bag, and the time involved in dealing with reorders/returns-not worth it. I recently picked up a beautiful Spring Brahmin hobo in a luminous Opal color ;-)

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor
On 4/15/2015 Chrystaltree said:

I think we've seen the last of Roma 2's. The original Roma was too big for me, the Roma 2 is perfect. I own three (blush, black, dark brown) and I love them. I was hoping that QVC would come out with a light or medium blue but I don't don't think that's going to happen.

Yes, ITA. I have 3 Roma2 handbags with the mag closure-cream snake, my fav; blush & black. if they bring it back, it won't be until 2016 with jacked up pricing. The orginal concept for the GILI line no longer seems apparent!

Respected Contributor
On 4/15/2015 Chi-town girl said:
On 4/15/2015 Chrystaltree said:

Yes, ITA. I have 3 Roma2 handbags with the mag closure-cream snake, my fav; blush & black. if they bring it back, it won't be until 2016 with jacked up pricing. The orginal concept for the GILI line no longer seems apparent!

One of the reasons so many of us started collecting Large Romas and Roma 2s that that we love the soft, hanging, squishy feel of the old hobo bags (with the bonus that the GILI bags do have inner pockets). I'm gonna miss these. Grateful for the ones I have. {Hoping the grey ostrich Large Roma would soften with use?}