Occasional Contributor

Crossbody bag for larger women?

Can anyone suggest a dressier, cross-body handbag for tall, larger sized women? I am 5'8" and wear an XL/1X and all the cross-body bags hit at my midriff, upper hip. I find it annoying to wear and to be able to access it's contents, especially using mass transportation. I do use a nylon, Kipling bag with an adjustable strap which is great for everyday use but I'm getting bored with it, it doesn't hold ALL my stuff and would like something dressier.

Honored Contributor

Re: Crossbody bag for larger women?

Sounds like you need one with a longer strap to adjust it easier. I don't have any brands to suggest. My daughter wears the same size, altho not tall like you, and she is all about Vera Bradley, but that is more of a casual brand. I think if you find the bag you like, maybe taking it to a shoe repair to see if they can alter the strap. Not sure, but worth a try.

Regular Contributor

Valued Contributor

Perhaps a Dooney crossbody? I find all of their straps too long (5'6"") and have to put in a hole with an icepick to shorten them.
Honored Contributor

I like longer crossbodies. The only place I've come across them is Macy's. Their house brand has some longer bags. When I go, I try on every single one in hopes of finding a longer style.
Esteemed Contributor

You might want to check out the Brighton line. I use Kipling for everyday too, but Brighton has some snazzier, but still lightweight bags, and superior customer service. Their website is good about giving dimensions and sometimes a short video.

I am stuck in a wheel chair for 6 weeks with a broken ankle and I bought one to cheer me up.

Twister Squared Charlie Pocket MessengerKodiak Koda MessengerTwister Squared Blaine Cross Body Bag

I got the heart tote.

Brighton Beat Molly Tote

Super Contributor

I am a plus size gal and I have been using the Vera Bradley solid black Microfiber cross body with the handle on top and it has a long cross body patent strap too. I bought the black one here on the Q, they have it in red and blue now on clearance. I liked it so much that I went to the VB site and bought the hot pink one at regular price since the Q didn't offer that color. I am more than pleased with it. I am a Dooney Gal but I have been happily using this VB bag for a few months now. Will take out the pink one when Spring is here.

Honored Contributor

What length are you looking for in the strap?

Respected Contributor

Try Dooney A260501. I'm carrying this in the ""smoke"" color. It has the strap that can be shortened by taking the middle section out. The bag itself is a nice size for a cross body and the pebble leather is good quality. It is a comfortable bag. It also fits over the ""big coat"" if you live where the winter weather is harsh and winter is long. the price is $188.

Trusted Contributor

Macy's carries a good variety of bags. Try the Fossil brand or The Sak.

I am looking for a larger crossbody bag with the "outside" zip-around wallet. The straps are long enough for me, but the bag itself is too small for what I am needing. Or, I'll see one in a large size but it doesn't have the attached wallet compartment.