Frequent Contributor

Denim blue transferred to my Gili cream snake Roma 2...HELP!!

I'm new to your board but I am hoping perhaps someone has had an experience similar to mine. I love my bag but I had either a denim jacket or jean that the blue color transferred to one side of my bag. Anybody have a clue how I can clean it or at the minimum, take most of the color out without ruining the bag? Thank you in advance!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Denim blue transferred to my Gili cream snake Roma 2...HELP!!

Take it to a dry cleaner and see if leather cleaning would work or maybe a shoe cobbler shop for his advice.
Respected Contributor

I agree, take it to someone who specializes in leather. It's hard to get dye out of leather and dye transfer from denim is a common problem. With a snake embossed leather you need to be very careful of both the finish on the leather as well as the 'scales'. You can't just rub it with a soft cloth or you will ruin the finish and disturb the scales.

Respected Contributor

I have an expensive light-colored bag. When I use it denim transfers onto it. Even if the denim has been washed and/or cleaned many times. I brought it back to the store and all they could do was clean the bag for me. I use a good leather cleaner and do it myself. I rarely use the bag as this is a pain because I feel I have to be careful. I spoke to someone who deals in leather and said unless the denim is new this should not happen. A light bag might get dirty, but color should not transfer onto the bag.

Trusted Contributor

Your purse should not be absorbing such color. You could return it for a replacement. This is a defect in the product.

Frequent Contributor

Oh how I wish I could get another one but I doubt the Q would believe the bag was defective. It is really weird because it was a several times washed denim that I wouldn't expected it to transfer. Thank God I didn't get the cream ostrich Roma. That would be awful. At least there is some shading in the snake Roma and as long I continue to keep the bad side facing my body. Was curious if anyone else had issues with discolorations that developed shortly after wearing?? I'll take mine to the cobbler. Thanks for your advice.
Honored Contributor

I would try a Magic Eraser sponge very gently. Indigo dye is very difficult to remove.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Has the blue denim transferred to any other leather bags? If not it sounds to me as if there's something on or a treatment to this purse which causes it to "accept" or "pull" the color from the jean, especially if the denim is not new. I would return the bag ~ appears to me to be defective at the very least, certainly not user friendly!!
Respected Contributor

Denim transfer to handbags and other clothing is a major problem in the market now. It's been attributed to the dyes used in the current denim. Don't blame the handbag, you can get denim transfer on a blouse or even on your car seats.

Valued Contributor

I had this happen to a BMak bag and it was 2 weeks past the thirty days. I called QVC and I wanted the same bag in black and they exchanged it. I think the dye problem happened quite a bit with that brand.

This sota girl says pop, duck, duck, gray duck and loves tater tot hotdish