Respected Contributor

Designer inspirations and future of the G.I.L.I. bags?

I am willing to admit to a Purse Thing. Specifically, a big-bag purse thing. More specifically, lush, buttery leather hobo styles. And, as I remind some of my non-purse-thing friends, a collection is NOT an obsession. Purse therapy is real. I'm a scientist, I've checked the data.

[I've got Dooneys, LVs, and GILI's. Many displayed as art on shelves.]

However, hoping fellow GILI sisters might help with my current wonderings: (1) The designer inspirations for various GILI bags, and (2) upon Lisa's December 12 departure, will the Q continue to pursue the line?

The Roma 2 appears to be inspired by the Gucci Soho.

The Milano looks a lot like the Vuitton Selena.

What handbag inspired the Chelsea? The large stirrup hobo?

AND will there be any of these models post-Lisa?

***Commenting Is Closed For This Discussion***

Super Contributor

Re: Designer inspirations and future of the G.I.L.I. bags?

G.I.L.I. Large Stirrup Hobo

inspired by the Gucci Stirrup

Frequent Contributor

You aren't alone Sister, we can only HOPE. Mine are displayed on glass shelves in my make-up room. So pretty!

Respected Contributor

Ooh, thanks rdiazMiami. Yup, direct inspiration. Now the Chelsea, I wonder?

QVCcloset Queen: My hopes for the line continuing were diminished recently, when the Roma 2 suddenly went on Clearance! Yikes. [I grabbed the black pebble to add to my blush and lizard. Incredible price.] *You have a makeup ROOM! Envy.*

Valued Contributor

In some of her shows last week, Lisa said that GILI reflected her style so when she leaves GILI will reflect someone else's style. So one can only hope.... and I actually hope it won't be as pretty because I already have too many handbags Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Several weeks ago, there was a list on one of these boards listing future GILI bags that've already been designed. I suppose the question is whether or not any of them were already in production, and also whether those designs will ultimately be produced. I suspect the line will continue for a time, but also wonder if they might not use Lisa's departure to narrow it down a bit and focus more on clothes and less on jewelry and accessories. I guess we'll see.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Some of the GUCCI bags are $600-800 off.....but still too expensive....
Respected Contributor

On 12/7/2014 stevieb said:

Several weeks ago, there was a list on one of these boards listing future GILI bags that've already been designed. I suppose the question is whether or not any of them were already in production, and also whether those designs will ultimately be produced. I suspect the line will continue for a time, but also wonder if they might not use Lisa's departure to narrow it down a bit and focus more on clothes and less on jewelry and accessories. I guess we'll see.

Maybe someone will resurrect that posting, thanks stevieb.

When they recently put Roma 2 on clearance, it was a horrid indication to me that they are NOT continuing the GILI big bags I love. The Roma 2 was always a sell out, rave reviews (except for those who thought it was toooo big), beautifully made.

Unless, of course, unbeknownst to me, there is a Roma 3 in production?

Frequent Contributor

I'm new to QVC's forums, FB etc so I am not sure where to post this question. I just got into designer handbags in the last year. So far I have 7, 2 of them are G.I.L.I.'s and when and if I can afford another it will be the G.I.L.I. backpack in blush, it is gorgeous! I am wondering how do I store these beautiful bags I have accumulated? I want to keep them in perfect condition. I also want to know do any of you buy leather conditioner and condition your bags? How often? I read on Dooney's info that none of the Dooneys need any special leather treatment or protectant. Is this so with all leather bags? I read on a review of a bag that her issue with the bag could be fixed with "careful, light rolling of the leather", what does that mean? Should I do that? All my bags are leather except the Ostrich embossed HOBO from G.I.L.I., do I care for that differently? Do you waterproof your bags in case of snow getting on them or rain or? I would take my coat off and cover my bag before I would let it be rained on but if it's snowing I don't know if that will harm, or stain the bag or not. Please give me any and all advice so I can keep my growing (hopefully) collection looking new. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

On 12/7/2014 1Professor said:
On 12/7/2014 stevieb said:

Maybe someone will resurrect that posting, thanks stevieb.

When they recently put Roma 2 on clearance, it was a horrid indication to me that they are NOT continuing the GILI big bags I love. The Roma 2 was always a sell out, rave reviews (except for those who thought it was toooo big), beautifully made.

Unless, of course, unbeknownst to me, there is a Roma 3 in production?

As I understand it, there is a Roma III planned, but I think the assumption is that it will be smaller Maybe, maybe not... There were a number of GILI bags listed in the aforementioned list, but I don't recall what they were and didn't copy the list, though I do recall a satchel, among many others, and also to include a number of smaller bags. Again though, it'll remain to be seen whether or not they proceed with production.

In fairness, the Roma II wasn't always met with kudos. Predating the first introduction of the Roma II was the Roma medium, which was a great bag. Either the first or second incarnation of the Roma II was fraught with problems related to cracking around the handles. The issue was addressed and future releases appeared to be better. I think one thing that has hurt the brand was that each incarnation somewhat improved on the one before, (handle attachments, closure mechanism, deeper inside pockets...) and while that's a good thing, what it also said to some was that the bags hadn't been well though out to begin with...

I own two mediums and two Roma II's (different releases), as well as one large Roma and love them all. On the other hand, I sent back both Milano hobos and the triple entry satchel. I like the brand, but have only been highly impressed with the totes, though I would consider ordering the recently released satchel again...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...