Frequent Contributor

I would like some recommendations for a Dooney handbag that would be best for going on an interview. My daughter is applying for jobs and I think having the right handbag would be important in making a good first impression. I appreciate any insights you may have.

Valued Contributor
A big enough to hold a file folder with her resume! Now that may be a problem.... but you can try florentine leather domed satchel or clayton.
Valued Contributor
Duplicate
Honored Contributor

I don't think a handbag is going to make a significant difference to the vast majority of interviewers... Take my word for it. I've done a lot of interviewing in my day, and, being a bag aficionado, while I might notice a prospective employee's handbag, it's the overall appearance that matters. Assuming that's acceptable, what matters most is what comes out of their mouth in response to questions posed. The resume is almost superfluous, because most of the time, it's been reviewed by the time the candidate gets to the interview and it's passed muster or they wouldn't have been called in for a meeting...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor
Stevie is right, but that being said, don't bring a Dooney in violet to the interview Smiley Wink unless it's one of the designer jobs or something....
Respected Contributor

I think a satchel or a hobo or a medium sized tote in a single neutral color would be fine. I agree, avoid trendy colors. Also be sure the handbag is in good shape and is not overpowering. I'd say, avoid cross body bags, back packs and bucket bags. The handbag shouldn't draw attention to itself... good or bad. Another thing, the style should work for your daughter so she is comfortable with it.

Valued Contributor

I agree with everyone's advice and I understand where you are coming from. Being well put together and organized can help with confidence which can make a difference in the overall image you present to others. I would opt for a leather bag in a neutral color and avoid anything slouchy and avoid the signature bags as well (the signature thing is just my preference though, others may disagree).

If I had to choose a Dooney it would be either Dillen or Pebble leather in the Chelsea or Lexington. I also like the look of the new Dooney Pebble Willa Zip Satchel. If you're open to other brands, I really like the Michael Kors Jet Set totes. I work in midtown Manhattan and see a lot of young professionals with them and they always look polished and chic yet they're very practical. Just my opinion. Also I don't own any Michael Kors so I can't speak to the quality. Good luck with your search.

Honored Contributor

What kind of job?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor
On 12/6/2014 foo foo shi shi said:

I agree with everyone's advice and I understand where you are coming from. Being well put together and organized can help with confidence which can make a difference in the overall image you present to others. I would opt for a leather bag in a neutral color and avoid anything slouchy and avoid the signature bags as well (the signature thing is just my preference though, others may disagree).

If I had to choose a Dooney it would be either Dillen or Pebble leather in the Chelsea or Lexington. I also like the look of the new Dooney Pebble Willa Zip Satchel. If you're open to other brands, I really like the Michael Kors Jet Set totes. I work in midtown Manhattan and see a lot of young professionals with them and they always look polished and chic yet they're very practical. Just my opinion. Also I don't own any Michael Kors so I can't speak to the quality. Good luck with your search.

About the Michael Kors Jet Set totes, I have one in black, bought it about two years ago and I use it more often than any other bag because it holds a lot, including file folders. It still looks new and wears very well. They come in the zipper top or the magnet top; I prefer the zipper top for security reasons.

Honored Contributor

Again, the bag isn't a critical factor in an interview, but that said, let me disagree slightly with what others are saying. While I concur that an esoteric color is probably not ideal, I don't agree that the bag should fade into the background or give the applicant the appearance of a clone... While it's probably not best for an applicant to attire themselves as to stand out in a bad way, it can be helpful if they stand out... In other words, while one doesn't want to costume oneself for an interview, looking like every other applicant or employee at the metro stop doesn't give one much of a leg up either. An appealing and not too out-standing but distinctive look will give interviewers something with which to identify the applicant... All assuming, of course, that the applicant has a good interview. Personally, I'd ask your daughter what sort of bags are on her wish list and then select from among them...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...