Super Contributor

Michael Kors Handbag.....Help Me Decide

I have wanted a MK bag for the longest time. I think they are classy and elegant. So here's my problem.....do I break down and buy one? I recently received an unexpected bonus at work so I'm all excited because I know I can buy the bag of my dreams. However, I just can't do it! I've never spent that much money for a handbag. I'm feeling guilty.....people are starving, homeless, etc. and here I am wanting a $500 handbag. Help me decide what to do!!!
Valued Contributor

Re: Michael Kors Handbag.....Help Me Decide

If you have a TJMaxx in your area, check there. They could have the bag at a much better price than most stores. I have 12 of his bags and 10 were from TJMaxx.

Respected Contributor

You could also check to see if there is a MK outlet you can visit.

As for your 'moral' decision.... that's personal. No one needs a $500 handbag, no one needs multiple $200 handbags, no one needs to eat out, go on vacation, buy a fancy car, own a diamond engagement ring, etc. But we all so some of these things.

For me the decision comes down to personal choice and responsibility.... do you pay all your bills on time? Do you have money saved for emergencies and for the future? Do you take care of your family? Do you give to charity, either with time or money? If you say yes, and you don't have outstanding debts, then you are contributing to society and have a right to use a little extra bonus for some personal pleasure. If not, then it's time to re-evaluate how you use your money.

If you are still uncomfortable you can use part of the money toward a new handbag and part of it for charity.

Esteemed Contributor

The nice part of "treating " yourself (with an unexpected windfall) is that when you get up early on a gloomy Monday and have to get to work, a handbag or tote is a tangible reminder of the effort that you put in.

I can't pay full price either...so stalk the discount websites: Nordstrom Rack, 6pm.com, myhabit.com.

Myhabit.com has a whole range of MK bags. When I buy a new handbag, I donate an older one in good condition to charity.

MICHAEL Michael Kors Women's Fulton Crossbody, BlackMICHAEL Michael Kors Women's Hamilton Large North/South Tote, BlackMICHAEL Michael Kors Women's Medium Saffiano Leather Tote, Apple

Honored Contributor

Kors bags can be had for well under five hundred bucks... It all boils down to the actual bag you want. If it can't be found elsewhere at a better price then you have to decide if another bag will float your boat or if it must be this bag... A thorough search would likely turn it up somewhere for less, even if that means waiting for an all-inclusive sale at one of the department stores... As noted, Kors is available at so many places, both retail and discount and I always see a slew of them at the TJ Maxx stores, and their website is worth checking too...

As for whether you should or shouldn't. The bonus is yours. It's essentially 'found' money. I was never fortunate enough to work for an entity that gave bonuses... You don't appear to be the sort of woman that frequently spends money 'frivolously' on things like handbags, so ask yourself if you don't think for once in your life you deserve that 'handbag of your dreams'... I think you do. That bonus, even if applied altruistically, isn't going to solve the world's problems and if you feel compelled, make a smaller donation to something that matters to you and still get that bag you want for yourself... That's my opinion, anyway...

Smile

And incidentally, if you indicate the specific bag you're looking at, some of the women on these boards are notoriously good at being able to sniff out good deals...

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I have several Kors bags and never paid full price. I always check sale sections at local Macy's and Lord & Taylor and have found a few great ones. Also, if and when you get a 25% off friends and family coupon go hunting!

Valued Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/27/2014 tough_kitty said: I like this one....only $287 on sale.... I have it in luggage. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/michael-michael-kors-large-bedford-satchel/3886398?origin=category-perso...

That looks so sumptuous !!! Good deal. I LOVE the organization inside.

Respected Contributor

EnglishRose, If you know the model number or name of your MK bag, check out Ebay or Amazon to see if they have it for less money.

Most of my high end bags I have gotten from those sites.

Contributor

I have yet to understand why women pay these prices for a purse. Just wondering why? Other than you who cares what name is on it. I would rather have the money. If people didn't buy them the ridiculous prices would come down. You are just making the designers more money and you are losing yours.