Contributor

Tin foil over credit cards works just as well as the purses/wallets

We had a special news report that showed a piece of aluminum foil over a credit card works just as well as the wallets and purses they sell with RFD protection. That way I can use my own wallet instead of buying one I don't like.

Super Contributor

Re: Tin foil over credit cards works just as well as the purses/wallets

I'm so confused by the concept of those things, lol! None of my credit cards have those RFID chips in them, anyway. Are they supposed to be very common?

Esteemed Contributor

I am confused too. I have only one credit card with a chip. I cannot get the other card people to even send out this type of card. One told me they would not do it unless THEY WERE MADE TO. And yes tin foil does the trick.

My passport isn't coded. Next time around when I renew it the chip or chip like technology will be there, I am told.

Valued Contributor

A Q host said that our cards eventually will be replaced with cards that have a chip. I'll wait until it happens. I do know they already have those in Europe.
Super Contributor

On 11/20/2014 bonnielu said:

I am confused too. I have only one credit card with a chip. I cannot get the other card people to even send out this type of card. One told me they would not do it unless THEY WERE MADE TO. And yes tin foil does the trick.

My passport isn't coded. Next time around when I renew it the chip or chip like technology will be there, I am told.

Within the last year, 2 of my credit cards expired and I was sent new ones. Neither had the chip in them. When I had occasion to call one of their service centers later, I off-handedly mentioned the chips. I, too, was told that cards with this feature are not routinely issued.

Esteemed Contributor

As more and more card corporations progress to cards with chips, it will be encumbent upon us to realize that we will be at risk, as someone walking by us in the mall with the correct type of device to remove data from the chip, can literally ruin our financial lives. This is no joke.

Also to be considered are those who must wear badges at work with a chip in or on it. Before I retired last year, I had to wear such a badge and was told that the chip contained a whole lot of personal information that would allow the wrong kind of person to create new accounts, etc., should the badge be lost and find its way into the hands of the wrong person.

The use of aluminum foil sounds pretty good to me.

Honored Contributor

Your driver's license will have the chip also. We can't get around it. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

DD's bank card got caught in the Target thing, and she doesn't even shop there that often. I do. She had only been about twice before the holidays, but that was all it took.

Super Contributor

On 11/20/2014 beach-mom said:

Your driver's license will have the chip also. We can't get around it. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

DD's bank card got caught in the Target thing, and she doesn't even shop there that often. I do. She had only been about twice before the holidays, but that was all it took.

Forgive me if I'm misinformed, but I thought the Target issue was due to a breach in their online security (malware?) I didn't know the breach had anything to do with the chips(?)

Super Contributor

On 11/20/2014 Colonel Meow said:
On 11/20/2014 beach-mom said:

Forgive me if I'm misinformed, but I thought the Target issue was due to a breach in their online security (malware?) I didn't know the breach had anything to do with the chips(?)

OK, I just briefly looked it up to refresh my memory, lol! And I'm reading that the breach supposedly occurred on the actual card devices (where we swipe our cards). Would the chips prevent these kind of breaches from happening in the future?

Honored Contributor

Psssst.....it's not a Politically Correct term.