Honored Contributor

Are VB bags getting less popular?

I am not seeing as many of them around our town now as I used to.It used to be that almost all senior ladies owned at least one. Now it seems ladies are carrying solid color cloth purses instead. Personally, I have gone to carrying my VB in my purse instead - cosmetics and glasses cases , wallets etc. I live in an area with a huge % of the population are seniors so what is trending with seniors is what I tend to see more of.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are VB bags getting less popular?

I don't think they're so much out of fashion as they are out of season. Even in southern Florida where my winter condo is, there's a difference in how the women dress during the traditionally winter months. That's what I see.

When late February comes and people are anxious for spring, VB will probably be more prevalent. I own just one, but that's when I will use it, not now.

Super Contributor

On 11/13/2014 millieshops said:

I don't think they're so much out of fashion as they are out of season. Even in southern Florida where my winter condo is, there's a difference in how the women dress during the traditionally winter months. That's what I see.

When late February comes and people are anxious for spring, VB will probably be more prevalent. I own just one, but that's when I will use it, not now.

i agree. it is more of a spring/summer look. Except for the quilted solid ones. I have a quilted red one that i use in the fall/winter. But I have several floral brights that I pull out when the weather is warmer. Down here in TX you see them a lot!

Honored Contributor

They will always be popular in beach communities.

Honored Contributor

Texas here. I see them year round and I own several myself. Love Vera Bradley handbags, wallets, and cosmetic bags.
Super Contributor

On 11/13/2014 bbluvr said:

i agree. it is more of a spring/summer look. Except for the quilted solid ones. I have a quilted red one that i use in the fall/winter. But I have several floral brights that I pull out when the weather is warmer. Down here in TX you see them a lot!

I agree with this statement as well. Unless you are carrying a solid color VB, I feel they look a bit out of place for winter. I just put away my Camellia Vera's. (Tennessee here). Love them, but IMO they clash with my winter wardrobe.
Honored Contributor

On 11/13/2014 benzgirl said:

I agree with this statement as well. Unless you are carrying a solid color VB, I feel they look a bit out of place for winter. I just put away my Camellia Vera's. (Tennessee here). Love them, but IMO they clash with my winter wardrobe.

I agree. Solids only in the winter!! I find it's often the people who don't change their bag until it dies who carry a dirty, worn, floral VB in the winter. Looks terrible!!!

Adding: I think they're fine in the winter in a warm climate. Here in New England, not so much.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a recent Vera Bradley fan here in Central Florida, and I think they will look fine year round. My winter wardrobe is long pants/jeans and a top, vs. pedal pushers or capris and a top. I like these purses so much more than anything I found at the stores or at QVC with all their "famous" brands. I want to keep things simple. All the designer heavy leather bags with hardware, tassels, and chains -- ugh -- fine for others, but not for me. And for the life of me, I don't know why women need such huge bags. What all are they putting in there?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I only see them on QVC, I haven't seen a VB or bag like that on anyone since the 1990's. I'm sure they must be popular somewhere but not where I live. A VB store opened up about two years ago in one the upscale malls near me, I never saw any customers in it. No surprise that it closed down a year later.

Honored Contributor

On 11/13/2014 Puppy Lips said:

I am a recent Vera Bradley fan here in Central Florida, and I think they will look fine year round. My winter wardrobe is long pants/jeans and a top, vs. pedal pushers or capris and a top. I like these purses so much more than anything I found at the stores or at QVC with all their "famous" brands. I want to keep things simple. All the designer heavy leather bags with hardware, tassels, and chains -- ugh -- fine for others, but not for me. And for the life of me, I don't know why women need such huge bags. What all are they putting in there?

I think this season huge bags are everywhere. I was looking for a nice Christmas red medium size bag at the mall but all I could find were huge or very small - neither are what I wanted. I have a midi size Stone Mountain red bag so I guess I will be wearing it this Christmas again. I was thinking of donating it to get something slightly larger but not huge - did not happen. We have had a lot of rain since we have been back in Fl. and I'd like to have room for an umbrella. I also have a $$$ limit I don't go above for any bag so that also limits me since purses have gotten out of hand price wise too. Oh well, nothing wrong with shopping my closet.