Honored Contributor

Remember all that complaining about B Makowsky bags . . . ?

Compared to my one and only GILI bag, the Milano croco, his bags are far superior. I just went and looked at a couple in the closet. Yes, they are soft. Yes, they puddle nicely if not loaded. Yes, the stitching is perfect. Yes, the dye never bled. I'm keeping the GILI because I need a large bag for flying to Florida. I was assuming the GILIs were QVC's knock-offs of designer high priced bags at a reasonable (under $200.00) price point. What I have with this wavy zipper and stiff leather is a bag that missed by a mile.

Honored Contributor

Re: Remember all that complaining about B Makowsky bags . . . ?

I liked the Romas and the recent satchel appeared to be a nice bag, but I've sent one of these hobos packing and am probably going to send the second in hot pursuit of the first... I'm not sure of the quality and I'm not unsure of it. I simply have no reason to assess that aspect, but as far as function and ease of use, they needed more planning and better design. Nothing against Lisa. One assumes she's not a bag manufacturer and simply came up with a look that someone else should have translated into a workable bag. When the prototypes came out, assuming there were some, someone really should have gone back to the drawing board.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Forgot to add... On the other hand, the only BMak bags I ever owned weren't, to me, 'all that' either and while I'm sure others had better experiences with them, I never much cared for the brand. Certainly, todays BMak bags bear little similarly to the brand when it first arrived on the handbag scene, but even so, after an auspicious start, the brand apparently became somewhat diluted when control of the brand changed hands and the market became saturated with these bags.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

AMEN, girl. You got that right!
Super Contributor

I purchased on BMak when he first came on the scene, as a matter of fact it was his first appearance. The bag was a brandy colored arge hobo. I still own it, the leather is sumptuous and the hardware remains sturdy, shiny and intact. Right out of the gate, it was a superior product to what QVC was carrying at the time; however, as it became mass produced, the quality suffered.
Honored Contributor

makowsky bags never appealed to me - I much prefer a structured bag. Puddling - IMO - is a sign of a cheap thin leather.

Honored Contributor

I looked at B Mak bags in Nordstrom. They were gorgeous. I resisted buying because of how he saturated the market with them between QVC and Marshalls.

He makes a beautiful bag. I love his shoes.

I wouldn't buy a GILI if it cost $1.

Honored Contributor

Whatever. The B.Mak made thousands of bags over the years and like any company B.Mak had it's winners and it's duds. I have two Romas and I'm very happy with them. I chose the smooth leather versions because I just did not trust the snakes and croco versions. They leather had to be dyed, painted, manipulated to get those finishes and I thought those treatments might be problematic. My bags are perfect and I haven't experienced any problems at all. And I am not easy on my bags. The leather is soft and pliable; both bags drape beautifully. And I get tons of compliments on them. If QVC comes out with either a red version or a light blue version in the spring; I will be all over it!

Valued Contributor

So, you are criticizing the GILI bag, but at the same time you are saying you are keeping it?? Guess, it can't be that bad after all, then.

The design of this bag is almost exactly the same as the LV bag, so even for $4,000 you'd get the same functionality, or lack of thereof. Maybe not. I am not sure...

Regular Contributor

You're lucky.... my bright yellow one did bleed on my white linen suit..... Never bought another and gave away the three that I had