Contributor

I have read a few reviews where the handle hardware has broken. I'm guessing the little pin that holds the handle has come out. The reviewers sent the bag back. I bought four of these bags and I really like each one. I am glad I have until the end of January for returns if I have a problem, but I'm sort of bummed that there are already "issues" showing up reflecting poor construction. If a handle breaks off, you're pretty much stuck with a useless bag. I would like to hear from others that experienced this.

Super Contributor

Re: GILI Milano handle question

My handle seems secure (at the moment) and I've been really working the portion of the strap that attaches to the side hardware to:

1. stop the squeak 2. I work the leather up over the hardware in order for the strap to fall to the side and away from the bag opening.

Since I have only heard of that one instance of the broken hardware I'm guessing it my be an isolated incident. If more people start posting about hardware breaking then we all need to pack up our bags and return them.

Honored Contributor

I bought this bag for DD for her birthday. She loved it! After she had carried it two days, the handle broke. We're going to try to get another one, but since they sold out she will get a return - if that's even possible. I'm really upset about this. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Super Contributor

On 11/5/2014 beach-mom said:

I bought this bag for DD for her birthday. She loved it! After she had carried it two days, the handle broke. We're going to try to get another one, but since they sold out she will get a return - if that's even possible. I'm really upset about this. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Oh no! well the count begins...this is number 2 (at least for me). I need to really inspect the hardware on this bag. I'm off to find my magnifying glass.

Contributor

I'm very sorry that some have had broken handles! That's gotta be so disappointing I'm sure! I've stored my boxes and receipts in case either of mine breaks (natural ostrich and black). Fingers crossed for quality because I really do love these bags....
Regular Contributor

Beach-Mom, if you don't mind me asking, where did it break? Was it the hardware? I need to read through the reviews to see if there's a common weak spot. I don't want to keep them if they are an accident waiting to happen.

Oryany had this same problem with one of their most popular bags, and eventually changed the hardware, but in the meantime many bags were ruined and people were out the money. Same with the D&B Logo Lock with the lock breaking. So if this is going to be an issue, I want to know before the return time is up.

Valued Contributor

The little pin that holds the handles was loose on one of my bags, on both sides, so I returned the bag for an exchange. It was a brown snake one and fortunately they have it in stock.

I'm giving my bags a try till 1/31 and if the handles break after that period, I am planning to call QVC and demand a full refund since they sold me a defective product.

Regular Contributor

I just found this in one of the reviews: " Not all the hardware is made of metal, some of it is made of a hard plastic or resin."

Since the Roma 2 I've wondered about the GILI hardware, since it doesn't feel like metal to me. I wonder how much of it is metal and how much is resin. There was a discussion about this when the Roma 2 came out and some ladies didn't think the hardware felt like metal. I'm looking through all of my other non-GILI bags and the hardware is all unquestionably metal.

I would be interested to hear if anyone thinks this hardware is not entirely metal, and if so, is this normal.

Honored Contributor

On 11/5/2014 Krissie22 said:

Beach-Mom, if you don't mind me asking, where did it break? Was it the hardware? I need to read through the reviews to see if there's a common weak spot. I don't want to keep them if they are an accident waiting to happen.

Oryany had this same problem with one of their most popular bags, and eventually changed the hardware, but in the meantime many bags were ruined and people were out the money. Same with the D&B Logo Lock with the lock breaking. So if this is going to be an issue, I want to know before the return time is up.

Hi Krissie22 - the two nails holding the handle together on one side came out. She can't find the nails. The other side is fine right now. She thought they were metal, but she wasn't sure. It's just a shame that a bag like this doesn't meet better standards.

Super Contributor

The hardware on mine is definitely metal. It's not the heaviest hardware you can get, but it is metal. It's also been holding up 7-10 lbs of weight I've had in it since Friday without any issues.