Honored Contributor

Structured -vs- unstructured handbags...

I have been carrying D&B for years and find it quite difficult to carry unstructured bags again as I did in my 20's.

...like the TSV and others that 'puddle'...remembering all those BMak presentations.

I realize there are those purse organizers that can help structure the bags...maybe it's just me? I'm sure there are those who may have the opposite problem...going from unstructured bags to using structured ones too...

Please, share your thoughts Smile

Valued Contributor

Re: Structured -vs- unstructured handbags...

I prefer structured to unstructured bags but I also LOVE the hobo style so I get to carry both, depending on occasion Smiley Happy Structured are the best if you carry some paper work but if it's just your essentials in small pouches or something - I don't think the unstructured bag should be an issue.
Honored Contributor

Yes, I've always preferred bags that hold their shape. I don't like bags that just collapse the second you set them down and then you have to search for the strap or handle when are ready to carry it. Which is why I'm always interested in seeing what a bag looks like without the stuffing.

Even the cloth bags I have hold their shape.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I have "bag moods." Sometimes I like structured, sometimes I like mushy.Smile

However, I lean more toward structured.

Respected Contributor

I am very picky about my bags and I always get the structured type. It is very difficult for me to find something I usually need in a hurry in an unstructured bag. Over the years I have also switched to a satchel style bag because even though I liked the shoulder bags I could never get them to stay on my shoulder.

Respected Contributor

There are some that are in-between. Soft but not mushy; the leather is not so thin and keeps shape.
Honored Contributor

I like both. If I had to pick just one, I'd opt for structured bags and most of my bags have some structure, but am glad there is an option. I'd never choose a bag that completely puddles, though. I seem never able to find what I'm seeking without either trying to hold the bag up while I try to peer inside or doing a full search and recover mission, and either way, it's awkward and annoying. As for the current TSV, the one I received doesn't puddle. While it's not a fully structured bag, nor is it completely unstructured, if it was, I'd be sending it back.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Don't care for the "puddling" but I don't like stiff bags. I like some structure, but not like you're carrying a briefcase.

Respected Contributor

I love the look and feel of unstructured bags, but I don't like to use them. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} I find structured handbags to be much more useful for me.... it's easier to find things inside and I prefer a handbag to a shoulder bag. When I do carry an unstructured handbag, and I have some... I always use a purse organizer... otherwise the fact that everything is jumbled inside doesn't work for me.

Respected Contributor

I have both and it just depends on my mood. Sometimes I feel quirky and boho and want something a little edgier (orYany) and sometimes I want classic and business like or extra put together (Dooney). It's nice moving between the two styles,

Deb