Honored Contributor

What do a Hermes bag and a skunk have in common?

Apparently, they both stink to high heaven, according to more than 2,000 customers who purchased from Hermes in the past year:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

<h2>Enraged, devastated luxury shoppers are in a tizzy, claiming that their coveted Hermès handbags smell like skunks.</h2>

This is hardly what customers expect from handbags that can cost $10,000, $20,000 and even $60,000 for exotic skins. For years, demand has been so high for the bags that shoppers are placed on lengthy waitlists for months just to buy one of the iconic Birkin, Kelly or Elan bags.

But over the last year, more than 2,200 people have posted comments about how smelly their Hermès purchases are and how devastated it's made them on Purseblog, a site that reviews handbags and hosts forums for customers to talk about them. The New York Post first reported on the frenzy.

Many of the commenters noted that the smell gets much stronger in warm temperatures, and it's almost unbearable in the summer, in direct sunlight or even in the passenger sear of a heated SUV.

"It smelled bad I was sooooo embarrassed to carry the bag in the mall," posted Israeli_Flava, whose bio says she "rocks the croc."

Another commenter, glamourbag, said it was a scent you would not want to be around anyone with, as "they might mistake you for having crossed paths with either an angry...skunk or that your side job is that of a [pot] dealer."

The consensus on the forum, based on a number of posts explaining what Hermès sales associates and store managers had told commenters, is that the bags were made from a bad batch of leather, with something going awry in the tanning process.

A number of commenters were told that the smell would eventually go away, and even advised to put dryer sheets in their $10,000 bags to get rid of the smell. But many ended up having to send their bags back to Paris so that the company could replace them.

This would be a big expense to the company, at thousands of dollars a pop. And it means customers would have to wait several months for a new bag to be made, after many waited a long time to receive them in the first place.

Hermès did not respond to requests for comment.

Israeli_Flava noted that she was sad to see this problem become "like an epidemic" but she was grateful for all the support and messages she received from other commenters. She said she is not rich and worked hard for her bag, and she wants this resolved for all those who have been sold the stinky purses.

"Really, this has been taxing on my spirit," she posted. "I'm really trying not to let this experience steal my joy but it's hard."

P.S. Check out the comments at the bottom of the article. I loved the "Oth-world problems" post -- Stinky Bags

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: What do a Hermes bag and a skunk have in common?

This is just about the saddest thing I've ever heard. I hate to see anyone's spirit taxed.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

LOL! I'm sorry, but I don't believe that "something went wrong" with the tanning process AT ALL. That smell occurs when certain cheap chemicals are used in the tanning process rather than the time-tested methods (which do not produce a smell). Hermes better get their act together and NOT pinch pennies making these bags in order to produce higher profits. The cost of these bags are seriously high and their customers deserve a hand made product that only smells of the richest leather! I would demand a replacement, that smell does NOT get better!

BTW, I've had a pair of Clarks leather boots that smelled like skunk. And the smell gets worse with the heat of my feet! I know exactly what the company is doing (dictating to their Chinese factories how to tan the leather!!).

If your leather product does not smell like leather.... the manufacturer is substituting chemicals for old fashioned tanning. It's cheaper. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

The bags are just soooo stinkin' cute! lol

Trusted Contributor

Love anything Hermes except sh-tink....eeeo. Which part of the animal did they use?
Super Contributor

If you have to have one expensive bag, stick with Gucci. Smells divine, looks gorgeous, totally perfect organization. Best bag ever.
Honored Contributor

Guess that's one way to know it's not a knockoff. ""Oh you know that girl carries a fake. She smells so normal. ""

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

On 10/13/2014 kachina624 said: This is just about the saddest thing I've ever heard. I hate to see anyone's spirit taxed.
Bwahaha!
Honored Contributor

Aren't Birkins made of Italian leather, and made in Italy? There could be a mix up at their factory. It happens. Hermes would not want to lose customers willing to pay a fortune for a purse. The mark up and profit is high enough, for Hermes to make a quality bag. They are undergoing a shift in their merchandising, and will be offering more bags. They could have been experimenting with tanning formulations, so they can do this.