Occasional Contributor

I don't know if it's just me or not....I refuse to buy a handbag that costs the same as a car payment. QVC used to carry lines of bags that occasionally came in under $100, but not anymore. Oh, except Travelon perhaps. There are a few Tig bags under $100 but all I ever see on air at the D&B, G.I.L.I. and ORYANI that are all so far out of my budget it's ridiculous. And they all look alike. Am I the only one who feels this way? A little balance please! I tune out Dooney & Burke because they just are too expensive and I don't care how good the leather feels or smells.

Valued Contributor

I stopped buying Dooney when they switched to the interior red lining in all the bags....all the time.

Honored Contributor

Well, as the saying goes...to each his/her own. I only bought one D&B handbag at full retail price...all the others between 30-50% off...most were 40-50% off.

There are lots of brands you can buy that cost under $100 and even those you can get for the same % off/sale prices if you shop around and not buy them on the q since you can also save on S&H since most stores/sites offer FREE S&H.

As for car payments, I don't have any and bought my 89' Firebird used in 1990. My car is 25 yrs old...love my 89' Firebird (Ole' Bessy) {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor
On 10/6/2014 paperheart said:

I don't know if it's just me or not....I refuse to buy a handbag that costs the same as a car payment. QVC used to carry lines of bags that occasionally came in under $100, but not anymore. Oh, except Travelon perhaps. There are a few Tig bags under $100 but all I ever see on air at the D&B, G.I.L.I. and ORYANI that are all so far out of my budget it's ridiculous. And they all look alike. Am I the only one who feels this way? A little balance please! I tune out Dooney & Burke because they just are too expensive and I don't care how good the leather feels or smells.

Honestly, I would like for the day when women would realize how carrying a bag not only looks strange, but also is a hazard to one's body alignment. Why not a small wallet? For lipstick? For personal hygiene reasons? For what, specifically does a woman NEED a handbag? Everything can easily be carried in a small wallet. It's so silly, imo, to drag around (even cross body) a sack of stuff to maintain being able to be seen in public.

But! There is a multi-billion dollar industry keeping that stereotype alive.

Honored Contributor

Oobviously, the profit margin is greater for $300, $400 bags than it is for $59 bags. So, if you cannot find an assortment of bags in your price range, buy your bags somewhere. It really doesn't matter what QVC did years ago or decades ago. Time marches. QVC isn't the only retailer in the nation. I walked through Macy's yesterday and they were having huge sale on handbags. I am 100% that you could find a nice leather bag for under $100. There are many places that sell nice bags at reasonable. You just have to stop grousing about what you can't have and look for things that you can have.

Honored Contributor

*I don't even look at D&B purses - way too heavy and the style is not my taste. B Mak , Oryany , and most of the other brands on QVC are , IMO, not good value for the money. I may watch a tig show but for the most part I now buy my handbags elsewhere.

Honored Contributor
On 10/6/2014 ical said:

Honestly, I would like for the day when women would realize how carrying a bag not only looks strange, but also is a hazard to one's body alignment. Why not a small wallet? For lipstick? For personal hygiene reasons? For what, specifically does a woman NEED a handbag? Everything can easily be carried in a small wallet. It's so silly, imo, to drag around (even cross body) a sack of stuff to maintain being able to be seen in public.

...obviously, you aren't a woman....lol

Honored Contributor
On 10/6/2014 ical said:

why is it a stereotype?

and industries create jobs

you don't have to buy a bag if you don't want to of any kind

Super Contributor
On 10/6/2014 chrystaltree said:
On 10/6/2014 ical said:

...obviously, you aren't a woman....lol

I'm quite the girly girl, actually. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} lol!

It's just fascinating about how many fashion trends hinder females in many ways which make them appear frivolous or crazy--and this is done intentionally, imo.

To try to break away from the "need" of a handbag is too much of a giant step, I do understand. And I will admit, there is much brainwashing that has happened which makes it hard not to be almost "programmed" to want to carry a bag. But really why?

That's all. Smile

Super Contributor
On 10/6/2014 motherinlaw said:

I stopped buying Dooney when they switched to the interior red lining in all the bags....all the time.

Really?