Respected Contributor

Cleaning the inside of a vintage Coach bag

I just ordered a vintage bag off eBay and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Smile I've armed myself with all of the products to clean/condition the outside of the bag but the inside is unlined and is suede so I was wondering if any of you ladies have any recommendations for cleaning/conditioning the inside of the bag. Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaning the inside of a vintage Coach bag

Go to The Purse Forum. They have detailed information on rehabbing Coach bags. It will be interesting to see if the inside is actually suede. My coach bags from many many years ago are unlined so that means it is the back side of the finished cowhide. Not suede.
Respected Contributor

On 8/12/2014 Shawnie said: Go to The Purse Forum. They have detailed information on rehabbing Coach bags. It will be interesting to see if the inside is actually suede. My coach bags from many many years ago are unlined so that means it is the back side of the finished cowhide. Not suede.

I thought that the other side of cowhide WAS suede.

Respected Contributor

Suede block,suede brush, dryer sheets to tuck inside to freshen smell if it's stale.

Honored Contributor

On 8/12/2014 Texasmouse said:
On 8/12/2014 Shawnie said: Go to The Purse Forum. They have detailed information on rehabbing Coach bags. It will be interesting to see if the inside is actually suede. My coach bags from many many years ago are unlined so that means it is the back side of the finished cowhide. Not suede.

I thought that the other side of cowhide WAS suede.

it is.

Honored Contributor

I have several. I'd do as little as possible. Just maybe wipe it off with a very slightly damp cloth.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

I think I would either call a Coach store or go to one if you have one in a nearby mall. I have some oldies but have tried to keep them close to perfect over the years. Enjoy your bag!

Respected Contributor

Well you learn something every day! I have never done anything to my insides but vacumm a bit. Found this about suede and cleaning-- Maintenance Suede is more “high-maintenance” than smooth grain-side leathers. It shows stains easily, its nap wears off and it cannot be oiled as smooth leathers can. Oil simply stains suede and ruins the nap. To clean it, you must purchase cleaners and conditioners specifically intended for suede. They typically contain organic compounds, but not oils.
Honored Contributor

On 8/12/2014 Shawnie said: Well you learn something every day! I have never done anything to my insides but vacumm a bit. Found this about suede and cleaning-- Maintenance Suede is more “high-maintenance” than smooth grain-side leathers. It shows stains easily, its nap wears off and it cannot be oiled as smooth leathers can. Oil simply stains suede and ruins the nap. To clean it, you must purchase cleaners and conditioners specifically intended for suede. They typically contain organic compounds, but not oils.

Ouch! {#emotions_dlg.lol} But seriously, I think vaccuming it gently is an excellent idea.

Shawnie, I really don't think that the inside of these vintage Coach bags is exactly the same as what we commonly think of as suede.

I would never put anything harsh on these linings. I think your suggestion or maybe just wiping it with a damp towel is the most I would do. But then, I did make sure that the ones I purchased (all on eBay) were in good shape inside and out. I looked carefully at the pics.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

On 8/12/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 8/12/2014 Shawnie said: Well you learn something every day! I have never done anything to my insides but vacumm a bit. Found this about suede and cleaning-- Maintenance Suede is more “high-maintenance” than smooth grain-side leathers. It shows stains easily, its nap wears off and it cannot be oiled as smooth leathers can. Oil simply stains suede and ruins the nap. To clean it, you must purchase cleaners and conditioners specifically intended for suede. They typically contain organic compounds, but not oils.

Ouch! {#emotions_dlg.lol} But seriously, I think vaccuming it gently is an excellent idea.

Shawnie, I really don't think that the inside of these vintage Coach bags is exactly the same as what we commonly think of as suede.

I would never put anything harsh on these linings. I think your suggestion or maybe just wiping it with a damp towel is the most I would do. But then, I did make sure that the ones I purchased (all on eBay) were in good shape inside and out. I looked carefully at the pics.

I agree it is not the suede I see and feel on the outside of a couple of pairs of shoes or bags that I have but it must be so...;-)