Respected Contributor

S7502 Emma & Sophia Satchel. Who got this? Did you get a RAG of a bag?

So I was lucky enough (or so it seemed at the time) to happen upon this Super Saturday bag when it was available, and I even scored the blush option. The bag arrived on Wednesday. It is a great size, has a shoulder strap and handles that fold down and don't get in the way, and is slightly smaller than the GILI Roma 2. It also looks like it was made in the same factory and from the same hides. This seems especially likely, given that the Emma & Sophia brand is a QVC house brand, as is the GILI line. It's a great style and perfect medium size.

HOWEVER

My bag looks like it was something pulled off of a reject pile and put in the donation bin. The hide is horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE! Huge, criss-cross diamond wrinkles on three of the four panels of leather (the third panel is a nice pebbled leather as advertised). The goldtone hardware has scratches on the O-rings, which are probably caused the tip of the screwdriver slipping as the O-rings were put on the bag. The leather is so wrinkly that I do not think it will ever recover and mind you, this bag was shipped stuffed with no less than eight little tissue paper bolsters inside. Honestly, the bag is a joke at any price. This is the third time I have received a made-for-QVC bag crafted of obviously overprocessed, ultrathin leather. My original GILI Roma 2 blush had the same problem, as did two of the three GILI backpacks I purchased (black and yukky tan).

Did anyone else receive this bag? What are your thoughts? I think the colors were great and I love the style. But there aren't any more available, so a return for replacement isn't an option.

Super Contributor

Re: S7502 Emma & Sophia Satchel. Who got this? Did you get a RAG of a bag?

Good Morning Favorite, I am sorry about your bag. I don't have this bag but it sounds as if the in-house leather manufacturers Q is using, is just making inferior leather bags.

I think that when you have an in-house brand, the usual quality controls may be lax and you are not getting the quality you get when you go with a name brand such as an ORYANY or a Coach or a Kate Spade etc.

I think that if you are unhappy with the obvious quality defects and they are that apparent, then returning it may be a good option. I know it would bother me to carry a bag that I felt was bad quality if I paid a lot for it (I don't know what the cost was). Even if you got it for half off the regular price, it's probably still a good deal of money to pay for a bag that has obvious defects.

As for the donation part of the Super Saturday thing I'd just rather donate some money to the cause, vs. buying a product just for the event that's not really great quality. I would probably return the bag. You'll find other bags you like just as well that are better quality.

Honored Contributor

Favorite Son - Sorry that you got stung again. I'd return it for a refund.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Thanks, guys. I just don't understand why a bag that looks this old and haggard would have been approved at the end of the production line. Or better yet, why the skin would have been approved to be cut into the necessary shapes for the parts of the bag. I am definitely returning it. It sure is difficult to buy a good handbag here.

And ima, I received a defective Oryany Heidi from here, too. I just think that unless the customer is buying a Coach, Dooney, Kate Spade, or one of the even more expensive designer handbags like Gucci or LV, it is really the luck of the draw. I suspect that they are all made in the same group of factories in China. I don't know exactly how the hides get there, because China isn't exactly known for beef and hide production, so they are probably shipped to the factory by the brand that orders the bags. It must be the level of supervision by the brand, either via on-site or post-production inspections, that determines how likely it is that a customer will get a bad bag.

Honored Contributor

I went to look at it and it's no longer available. Maybe there were a lot of the same complaints.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Mmsfoxxie said:

I went to look at it and it's no longer available. Maybe there were a lot of the same complaints.

I don't think it was pulled due to complaints. That isn't the QVC way. I think that the number of purses available was low, since it is supposedly an item donated by the manufacturer and sold at fifty percent off of the retail price. It's just great looking bag and came in two potentially very nice colors.

Super Contributor

Hi Favorite, yes I think it is definitely luck of the draw! It's just taking a chance, that you get a good one.

I think you should call CS and tell them about the defects. They will pay for return shipping of course.

I'm sorry you had an issue with Oryany quality. That is very disappointing to hear. I have had good luck with Oryany so far (crossing my fingers). I don't have that many of their bags but I like the ones I have and they've been nice quality.

Bottom line is you must be happy with your purchase and if you're not, then return the bag. It may be that they get some back in stock later on and you can reorder and hope that one is acceptable. I know that after Shoes on Sale, sometimes shoes pop back in the system if people cancel orders or return them etc.

Good luck. I know what it's like to be disappointed by a bag you were excited about getting.

Honored Contributor

Yet another example that makes some of us think there is no longer any quality control at all prior to QVC's shipping items. I actually received an empty box a few weeks ago...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

What a shame that an item that is supposed to benefit a charity turns out to be substandard. I suspect that some of these companies dump old, unwanted inventory for these charity events so that they get a tax write-off. I would think that it doesn't help the charity at all.

Honored Contributor

Sorry for your experience... I've been tempted to try this brand, but have never happened upon just the right color and style combination, which maybe is for the best.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...