Respected Contributor

Someone Knowledgeable - Enlighten Me About Handbags

Is it just me, or do many of the "different name" handbag lines look the same, like they are made in the same factory and merely subject to a different nametag at the end of the manufacturing process?

I took a look at the Ora Delphine collection after there was a thread about the recent Good Morning America special. Then I looked at a few Oryany bags, and they looked like a redo of many in the BMak line, and some of the Ora Delphine and Oryany bags look like Banana Republic bags. The GILI line knocks off Gucci and Gianni Notaro with uncanny similarity. Emma Sophia, a line made exclusively for QVC, has a bunch of bags which look a lot like BMak and some of the printed ones look like Tignanello. I also noticed that the Super Saturday Emma Sophia bag, which was offered in blush, looked like the blush color was the same as the blush color in the GILI backpack and Roma 2.

I'm sure there are people on these boards with a lot more knowledge about handbags than me, who can add to this discussion.

Honored Contributor

Re: Someone Knowledgeable - Enlighten Me About Handbags

Some brands have a distinctive look, but at the end of the day, there really are only so many bag silhouettes to go around. Designers tweak them and apply different hardware, etc., to individualize them and yes, there are some companies that apparently make generic bags for individual brands to put their label on.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I buy what I like that is within my budget and pay no attention what so ever to the label.

Super Contributor

I agree that some are distinctive, yet at the same time, some are quite similar. Leather types can make the difference, and embellishments, zippers, etc... I don't care about the label either, buy what you like.

Honored Contributor

The Ora Delphine bags arrived and they are sleek and stylish, IMO. They do not have a lot of "bells and whistles" ... but nicely made with organizational "innerds!" Leather seems to be good quality, and I have two Coach bags and a D&B bag (two never used... why do I have this bag?) The Ora Delphine is large enough to be a large tote... and the streamlined design wouldn't get in the way... in other words, they seem like a flexible style, to me.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

It's a handbag. It needs to be functional as well as look nice, so of course they're all going to look similar because they need to in order to offer that functionality. They also should, hopefully, go with multiple outfits anyone might own because many people can't afford to buy a different handbag for each outfit. (I wouldn't, even if I had millions of dollars. That's just not practical.) You can't really go crazy with them. It's the same way most coats and boots look similar. I rarely see a pair of boots today that make be think, "Wow, how unique, I've never seen anything like them before!" If I do, it's usually got some sculpted heel that wouldn't be practical in my world. Some things must be functional above all else.

Valued Contributor

Yep, what Stevieb said - similar silhouettes are unavoidable... that's why we can pick and choose based on the hardware details and the brand we think we can trust...

I watched the Aimee Kestenberg's handbag show last night and while I found her bags very interesting and functional, I didn't care much for some details, and I am not sure how good the leather quality is for the price, so I am sticking with MK and D&B for now...

PS. Alberti did a fantastic job presenting her bags! I was impressed. He was very entertaining. Ashlee from D&B should learn from him! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Basically a handbag is just a carrier for my stuff. Leather, fabric, or faux -- I have carried and liked all. I want it to look nice, be a pleasing design and color, have decent organization, hold up well, and be reasonably priced. I don't care about labels, "status", or trends. I simply find bags I like and when I need one, I buy one. I often find very nice bags on sale at off-price places like TJ Maxx.

Honored Contributor

Last week I bought a pretty bag at TJMaxx for $30. I wore it today because it's raining hard and I did not want to carry a canvas bag. I got 2 compliments on it and both were shocked when I told them it was from TJM. It is pretty dark brown with rose metal trim and a rose chain strap woven with brown ""leather"".

Last summer I carried a canvas Tig bag with the signature T print in a brown/black combo and got more compliments on it than any more expensive bag I have ever used.

Valued Contributor

On 7/14/2014 happy housewife said:

Last summer I carried a canvas Tig bag with the signature T print in a brown/black combo and got more compliments on it than any more expensive bag I have ever used.

That's precisely why I personally cannot justify buying a Gucci or any other $2,000 handbag.... Why spend so much for great quality if I can buy a D&B or MK which are aslo excellent quality but in $200-400 price range??

After all, I am buying for myself. Not for others to see that I carry a Gucci!