Respected Contributor

So I fell in love with a CHI by Falchi white fringe hobo bag from HSN that is on sale. I received it and it is beautiful. I have never bought a white bag before because I've always been afraid of messing it up. Should I be worried or not?

For those that have experience with white leather bags, kindly discuss if you have had any issues with the leather yellowing over time and/or stains that do not come out.

If you own a white leather bag and have not had an issue, please chime in!! Below is the link to the bag in question.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hsn.com/products/chi-by-falchi-genuine-leather-fringe-hobo/7297644

~Live with Intention~
Contributor
I have a beautiful white leather Celine bag - bought it greatly reduced a numbers of years ago, maybe 5, and it looks great. I always store it in the cloth bag it came with and make sure it is always put away clean. So far no issues.
Respected Contributor
On 7/12/2014 colson said: I have a beautiful white leather Celine bag - bought it greatly reduced a numbers of years ago, maybe 5, and it looks great. I always store it in the cloth bag it came with and make sure it is always put away clean. So far no issues.

Hi Colson, many thanks for the reply.

What do you use to clean the bag before you store it? If I keep it, I plan to treat it with leather protect spray. However, the dust bag it comes with has a watercolor design with multiple colors and I am afraid that will stain it over time. Thanks!

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

This summer i am carrying a white bag but no way I would carry a white Leather bag. I am wiping this purse off every few days - thank God it is a material that is washable.

Trusted Contributor
Cute bag! I have a coach bag that is white and also have an older white MAXX bag that's a hobo style. Store them clean in their cloth bags and I'm very careful where I place them as I tend to be tough on handbags. They're still in good shape. Wear your new addition in good health, don't worry about yellowing, CHI is a good bag. Mine have stood the test of time. If you're near a coach store they have great leather cleaner and conditioners. Pretty cheap to, I think each was about 11.00 and I use them pretty sparingly, last a long time.
Super Contributor
From my own experience, white snake and white pebble leather yellow in as short as a year and a half to two years. I even put mine into the dust bags and they still discolored. I took them both to a very reputable and costly shoe and leather repair here in,the city and was told three is nothing they could do, it's the nature of the leather on the bag. Interesting enough, my white leather ballet flats and thong sandals have never yellowed.
Honored Contributor

I love a white handbag. Just be careful carrying it against blue jeans or fabrics (Madras) that haven't had the blue dye washed completely out of it (or other dark colors). Sometimes when the condition is right the dye will transfer, so just be a little more careful with it than you would with a colored bag. Light Patent Leather is notorious for absorbing dyes btw... much more so than regular leather so keep that in mind. Store it in a dust bag (or pillow case) and you should have many seasons of enjoyment... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. I am very appreciative.

I am still thinking it over. I live in NYC so it will strictly be a summer bag for me. I think the eventual possible yellowing is what makes me more nervous. Worse case scenario, I will send it back and get the maple (tan) color instead. This will definitely be a year round color for me.

However, the pics and video do not do this bag justice. It is absolutely gorgeous in White. I am sure any color will be beautiful though.

3Star, I know what you mean. I've had white loafers and sandals that still look white and like new. For some reason, most white leather bags seem to be made of naked leather and are therefore more prone to yellowing.

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

It's not fair to compare how one brand to another's white leather aged and bruised with wear. Users also have an impact on how white leather survives.

I have a B.Mak white glove leather hobo which is in its third season, looks fabulous, and I've done nothing special to preserve it. I think I've just been lucky. I find pebble leather is a good option for white because it tends to show wear and scratches less than the smooth leathers.

Honored Contributor

Here is your bag, OP.

Chi by Falchi Genuine Leather Fringe Hobo