Respected Contributor

Every time I see a full or partial chain strap on a handbag, I wonder...

Don't the designers realize that a full chain handbag strap will wear down the fabric, be it cotton, wool or fur. Even the partial chain strap can be annoying. Have you ever been at a movie or in church and heard the clanging of the links???? May look "smart" but in practicality, not.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Re: Every time I see a full or partial chain strap on a handbag, I wonder...

I don't like chain straps either... for all the reasons you stated and the added weight. I think the style was created by Channel, and that's why designers continue to use it.

Trusted Contributor

I bought a B. Mak purse that is cute. It has chain woven into the strap. Heavy chain. I find it accidentally slamming into my beautiful new car when I get in. I try to anticipate and be aware, but it just happens. Never again! They are a nuisance. I don't think I'll be using it much. What a waste of money.

Honored Contributor

I have never liked chain straps on bags.

Valued Contributor

It's just another design.... there is everything for everyone so you choose what you like and skip what you don't like.... I got MK bag with partial chain strap and I like it. Don't have any issues with it.

Valued Contributor

I had one & I went to get in my new car & the chain drug across the paint & left an ugly scratch! My husband was really understanding about it but I hated it! I loved the purse but it is put up now & I never use it! Everytime I go to get in my car I am reminded of the purse! Never again any chains or anything metal dangling!

Respected Contributor

I don't like the full or partial chain straps, either. For that matter, I just don't like a lot of hardware on my handbags.

Trusted Contributor

I just sent a purse back because the chain was too heavy on my shoulder. It didn't feel heavy until I put all my stuff in my purse, and I really don't carry that much stuff.

Super Contributor

I also do not like the chain handles. I have a Dooney & Bourke bag with a partial chain strap. It is so loud and clunky I never use it. It is pretty to look at but a bugger to use. Sigh. Live and learn.

Honored Contributor

I surely wouldn't want all my bags to have one, but I have a few that do and while there's a downside, I happen to like the look, so they're 'occasional' bags...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...