Trusted Contributor

UNBELIEVABLY RIDICULOUS WHAT I WAS TOLD RE GILI OSTRICH ROMA 2

Sorry this will be lengthy but please read what idiotic information i was given by a CS Supervisor. I received the natural ostrich Gili Roma 2 bag in a very defective condition last week. I immediately called CS and explained how I received my bag with so many defective streaks all over the bag plus dots that weren't painted. When I moved the tassel over, my nail scraped on the bag and it made a big white streak, just like the others. You could see the white leather under the streaks. The CS rep apologized and said they would have a perfect one manually pulled for me and would send it out immediately. I thanked her and was very thankful that they would do that. The next day I received a black Roma 2 with the most horrendous chemical smell as soon as I opened the box. I never even took the bag out of the box, the odor was that bad. I decided to call the Corporate Office and spoke to a very helpful woman in the President's office. I told her about my natural ostrich bag and what it looked like. She asked me if I would return the bag directly to her so she could see it for herself (since she read the bad reviews about the streaking). I told her that I would be very happy to send it to her. It was picked up from my home on the 26th. Tonight I called CS to find out about the bag that was supposed to be manually pulled and sent to me. I was told by a nasty CS Supervisor that there were no notes about a bag being manually pulled but on the 26th it was written 'A BAG WAS INSPECTED AND CONFIRMED THAT ALL THE PAINTED SPOTS WERE PERFECT AND THAT (NOW THIS IS THE BEST IVE EVER HEARD) THE SMEARED STREAKED LOOK WAS THE ARTIST'S DESIGN! Excuse me? What does that even mean I asked, who's the artist, is Lisa an artist, is QVC the artist or are the artists sitting at tables over in China designing ostrich bags with streaks? I asked her if she knew what ostrich looked like and she said NO, she had no idea and couldn't tell from the photo! I am just so disgusted with QVC's CS, their quality and their constantly sending out so many defective bags and also other products. I am just done, enough is enough. I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life, ostrich bags designed by artists with streaks!
Super Contributor

Re: UNBELIEVABLY RIDICULOUS WHAT I WAS TOLD RE GILI OSTRICH ROMA 2

So you have a one of a kind, hand painted by artisans Roma 2. There's hilarity in here somewhere, or would be if you weren't having such a ridiculous time getting a decent bag. So are you being sent a new one? I saw a smeared one on EBay, so I know what you're talking about with the streaks. Sorry you are having to go through this. I really hope you get one good Roma out of all of this.
Trusted Contributor

How lucky am I (and many others) to get an artists rendition of a streaked natural ostrich bag! The supervisor told me that I should have a replacement by Tuesday. Can't wait to see if the same artist designed the replacement. It's really unbelievable!
Super Contributor

Was it numbered and signed? Smiley Wink
Esteemed Contributor

If it were me I would want my money back! Its obviously NOT worth the money you paid. Use that money to buy a GOOD handbag at a BM store! Especially after receiving several that are defective! Why continue to work with the Q?? Sorry you had to go through this!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

Lisa has other beautiful bags and for that matter so does QVC, why are so many women willing to put up with the Roma 2 , even when they smell, are streaky, stiff and shredding. Some how QVC must force the issue with the manufacturer or have it made somewhere else. I am so disappointed for you as you obviously had your heart set on the Ostrich. What a disaster from a marketing standpoint as well as CS.
Respected Contributor

If I were you, I'd contact the QVC Corporate Office again, and tell her what the CS representative said to you about the Natural Ostrich Roma 2 you returned: written 'A BAG WAS INSPECTED AND CONFIRMED THAT ALL THE PAINTED SPOTS WERE PERFECT AND THAT (NOW THIS IS THE BEST IVE EVER HEARD) THE SMEARED STREAKED LOOK WAS THE ARTIST'S DESIGN!'

They should be aware of your dissatisfaction with Customer Service. I've never heard of anything like that. There should not be smears on the Natural Ostrich bag.

My Natural Ostrich has a couple small, light smears (on the bottom, in one corner, where it probably was set down before the paint was completely dry; and under the crossbody strap, where the strap was probably hung before the paint was completely dry.) However, these are not enough to make me want to return the bag, and get another one with a lot of smears. I can barely see the couple light smears on my bag.

Honored Contributor

Surely you did not believe that "hand pulled" silliness. They were placating you. They just had another bag sent out to you. Those bags were made by the thousands upon thousands, probably from multiple factories. So defects were expected, at such a low price, they obviously couldn't hand inspect each bag. At under $200, these are inexpensive bags. That's why I held back for so long, when I succumbed, I did not risk a textured bag. I read the complaints and they seemed to be about the textured bags. My blush arrived perfect but with an odor. I aired it out for a few hours on my balcony and it was fine after that. I do think the customer rep was quite....inventive.....to the point of being insulting. Hand painted spots???? Would anyone believe that? The patterns are stamped out on the leather by a machine. Roma 2s aren't artisan crafted bags. I would have demanded a refund...just because she lied, poorly. I think the third time is the charm, the next one will be perfect. The vast majority of bags sold were free of problems. But probably not odor free!

Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 3star said: Lisa has other beautiful bags and for that matter so does QVC, why are so many women willing to put up with the Roma 2 , even when they smell, are streaky, stiff and shredding. Some how QVC must force the issue with the manufacturer or have it made somewhere else. I am so disappointed for you as you obviously had your heart set on the Ostrich. What a disaster from a marketing standpoint as well as CS.

I agree with you!

It's like the story about the Emperor having no clothes.

There are SO many issues with these bags - they are not the be all, end all. There are plenty of other Gucci Soho knockoffs out there - why pay close to $200 for a bag you have to "train"?????

That is outrageous.

I'd be willing to bet the sudden number of bags available isn't due to a new shipment coming in - it's returns that are being pawned off on people who had issues with their FIRST bags.

My natural ostrich (from the first incarnation of Roma 2) sits in my closet - a monument to how gullible I was to buy it in the first place. I "trained" it past 30 days - now it reminds me of how hard we all try to accommodate imperfections, if we WANT to like something enough

I'm on a bag diet now. I'm saving for a real Gucci, but will go check it out in person in either Toronto or NYC first. Basically it's the price of 6-8 Dooney's.

I'm at the point I would rather have one great bag than 15 lesser ones .

My bag has NO smears...but it is too stiff to carry comfortably. I tried kneading the leather, put soda bottles in it, etc. - still too stiff and cheap feeling.

Honored Contributor

There are so many better bags out there. I don't get the fascination with this bag - except that LR is selling it and people are ""obsessed"" with anything she has.

I saw the LV bag that looks like the GILI one the other day. It is stunning...