Regular Contributor

HELP - Roma 2 Ostrich had Popcorn Butter Spilled On It - What to do?!

My friend got the latest TSV Roma 2 Ostrich just a couple months ago and apparently last night someone spilled popcorn butter on it!

I haven't seen what happened but assume its an oil stain of some sort. She looooooves this purse and is so bummed - Any suggestions on how to handle this - so far its not been touched.

If anyone knows, I know you guys do! Heeeeelp!

Valued Contributor

Re: HELP - Roma 2 Ostrich had Popcorn Butter Spilled On It - What to do?!

It may depend on which color way she has as to the results. But, I have used the Magic Eraser on ivory leather on a Coach bag when someone toppled over about a half a bottle of BBQ sauce on it. I used a new ME rinsed in cold water, and took a little at a time in a circular motion. It all came off. Good luck.
Respected Contributor

For a grease/oil stain I'd start with baby powder or corn starch. Sprinkle it on and then rub it into the leather and let it sit. Hopefully it will absorb some of the grease. Then brush it off. If it doesn't work, at least it won't harm the handbag.

For any other cleaning method be sure to test on a hidden part of the bag first, as many cleansers will remove the color from a handbag or change the texture.

She could check with a leather repair shop.

Super Contributor

Yikes, hate to say it but this bag may be ruined.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

On 6/26/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

For a grease/oil stain I'd start with baby powder or corn starch. Sprinkle it on and then rub it into the leather and let it sit. Hopefully it will absorb some of the grease. Then brush it off. If it doesn't work, at least it won't harm the handbag.

For any other cleaning method be sure to test on a hidden part of the bag first, as many cleansers will remove the color from a handbag or change the texture.

She could check with a leather repair shop.

Blue Dawn might cut through oil.

Respected Contributor

I would check with a good dry cleaner.......mine sends my leather jackets away to be cleaned.....he might be able to do the same for your bag. They would be the experts and know if anything could be done. I would NOT try anything on my own until I check with them.....you don't want to make it worse.....jmo

Super Contributor

As soon as I get the natural ostrich, I'll do the same I do with all of them, condition it like crazy, then spray it with suede/leather/fabric protector. I use WhooHoo, recommended by a Q lady, about $25 to 30 on Amazon. Even if there is a chance I'll send a bag back, I don't want any accidents. Since the bags are not that expensive, I would condition it heavily. Butter is an oil which conditioners are. Couldn't hurt.
Regular Contributor

Its the original tan ostrich, not the white ostrich, sorry, forgot there are two colorways now!

Thank you everyone!

Honored Contributor

Yep, plenty of cornstarch and hope for the best...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I just read that nothing had been done for a number of hours... Sadly, I think she should have used cornstarch or cornstarch baby powder to try to absorb it immediately. I'd guess the stain has now set... Sorry to say, I think she better be prepared to order a new one, but perhaps there are ways of removing an oil stain that an expert would know.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...