Frequent Contributor

Coach to Close 70 Stores, Remove Logo Bags from Outlets

It’s no secret that Coach is in flux. After the departure of longtime creative head Reed Krakoff, the company has decided to pivot its public image in a more fashion-savvy direction. First, that meant bringing on handbag savant Stuart Vevers, late of Loewe and Mulberry, and allowing him to set a tone for the brand’s aesthetic future. The next step, it appears, is shifting its retail strategy – there are going to be far fewer Coach stores in the near future, according to Women’s Wear Daily.

Last week, Coach announced that it would close 70 under-performing North American stores in the first half of 2015, which is likely wise, considering the more fashionable and expensive direction that Vevers intends to take the brand. Just from my own observation while visiting my parents in Georgia, Coach has many stores in suburban malls with few (if any) other luxury retailers and little in the way of a luxury customer base, and while it may have long been possible to sell $300 handbags in those markets, Coach’s desire to raise its prices to line up with a more fashion-focused product line will probably make sustaining business at those locations untenable.

In addition to the closures, remaining Coach boutiques will get a new concept that’s more in line with the brand’s new aesthetic direction, starting with flagships in major markets like New York City.

For bargain-savvy shoppers, both Coach’s promotional schedule and its outlet strategy are shifting. The brand indicates that it will move to a biannual sale schedule, which is in line with other luxury brands and retailers. In the past, Coach’s sales and promotions had been more diffuse, and customers who are used to waiting for their discount cards to come in the mail for multiple mid-season events per year will likely be disappointed in the tightening of the markdown reins.

At the outlets, product assortment will be the biggest shift. Only two locations will close, and in the remaining stores, the now-ubiquitous logo bags will make way for a wider variety of leather options. We’ve heard some irritation from our Forum members about the lack of leather at the Coach outlets, so perhaps this news will create some satisfied customers. WWD didn’t make it clear whether the logo options would be scuttled from the outlets altogether or just drastically reduced, so we’ll have to wait and see.

All of these changes come on the tail of news about Coach’s sinking profits, and 2015 is expected to be a rough year while the brand attempts to right itself. Do you have high hopes for Coach?

Respected Contributor

Re: Coach to Close 70 Stores, Remove Logo Bags from Outlets

This was posted on the Purse Blog. Good. I never really liked the Cs and thought they cheapened the brand. Hope this strategy works for them. It would be a shame to see Coach disappear. I can't say that I would/want to pay $1k for a Coach bag though.

Honored Contributor

I would LOVE to see Coach return to the high-end brand it used to be. Most of what they have at the outlets now is pure and simple junk.

Honored Contributor

I much prefer this approach - becoming more selective and higher quality - than the direction taken by B Makowsky, D&B, etc.

I guess we can rule out any Coach TSVs now too!

Respected Contributor

I haven't carried a coach in decades. we will see what the future holds.

Super Contributor

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! I agree, Coach has lost its "luxury" status and changes are needed.

Super Contributor

On 6/25/2014 Sooner said:

I would LOVE to see Coach return to the high-end brand it used to be. Most of what they have at the outlets now is pure and simple junk.

Honored Contributor

There are 3 Coach stores within my area 4 if you count Nyack, but still

Frequent Contributor

I hope so, the stores have such limited selection and off colors. The purses at the outlets are made for the outlets and are so ugly and overpriced. I used to carry coach 20 years ago when it was a quality piece. I have since moved on to brighton.
Honored Contributor

This sounds like the beginning of the end for COACH. They cheapened their own brand with all that Logo and cloth merchandise and all those outlet stores that carry product specially made for the outlet shopper. I think it's too late for them to do an about face now. They aren't considered to be an upscale brand anymore and selling more leather goods isn't going to change that. The COACH brand isn't what it was 20 years ago. There's more competition in the designer bag field now, women who pay hundreds of dollars for bags don't want to carry COACH. I don't own any of the stock, so I don't care if they survive or not.