Frequent Contributor

My Husband Told Me This Morning That My Black Roma 2 Smells :-(

"That new bag of yours smells, actually it pretty much stinks. Can't you smell it?" This is from a very laid back man who never comments about any of my fashion or beauty purchases unless its a compliment. In fact, I'm surprised he noticed that it was new. Anyway, I had the bag on the table next to my work tote so I asked him if it was the tote that smelled. "No," he said, "its that handbag."

Bummer. I had just decided that it was a keeper even though I don't like the gold hardware, the squared off handle rings and the feel of the leather, mine is not very soft and I did the training thing. But, yesterday I realized when I running around doing errands that I ENJOY carrying this bag. I have high end bags, actually I am a Burberry Prorsum girl and I can't say I've ever thought that about any other bag. Funny. The size is perfect for me, everything is easily accessible inside, I got rid of the crossbody strap and don't use the clip (I hid it inside because of the gold color) or the snap closure. And I'm not swayed by all the hype and sales pitches. I just like the bag and thought it would be the perfect everyday bag but now I'm torn about keeping it.

Is anyone else put off by the smell? I seriously cannot smell anything foul, it just smells like leather to me...

Valued Contributor

Re: My Husband Told Me This Morning That My Black Roma 2 Smells :-(

I have two hanging in my guest room and really love the look. But I walked in this morning and got hit with the smell. It doesn't seem to be getting any better. I really don't want to send them back but reading your post after this morning's incident makes me concerned that it's not just my sensitive nose.

Contributor

I loved my blush, and even after three days of sitting on the patio with a fabric softener sheet inside, it still smelled so bad, I just couldn't keep it. It went back yesterday.

Valued Contributor

I just finished packing my Roma to send back. I've had it hanging in the bedroom since I got it. I had the door closed for the day and when I opened it the smell was overwhelming. I really like it and kept debating but I just don't feel right spending that much and hoping I can make the odor go away Smiley Sad
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the input, Ladies. I just Googled how to get rid of excessive leather odor in a handbag and found a couple of methods that I will try this weekend and hopefully I can keep it. I also have a pair of leather Dolce Vita boots that I bought from Gilt and the smell is so strong that I cannot wear them in a closed up car. They are not returnable so I'll work on them at the same time. Fingers crossed...

I hope this is not a trend with the way leather goods are tanned.

Frequent Contributor

Same odor problem with the cream snake and it not the smell of leather. Back it went, not to mention the excess shedding of the bag, not just the tassel. Very disappointing. Bought the vintage hobo and have no issues. It is perfect.
Honored Contributor

I remember many yrs ago, when Wilson's Leather stores were a big player @ the mall. You could smell that store a mile away. But the Coach stores (which were all leather back then)? Nothing. Cole Hann, Johnson Murphy stores? Nothing. Cheap leather smells?

Frequent Contributor

On 5/29/2014 sidsmom said:

I remember many yrs ago, when Wilson's Leather stores were a big player @ the mall. You could smell that store a mile away. But the Coach stores (which were all leather back then)? Nothing. Cole Hann, Johnson Murphy stores? Nothing. Cheap leather smells?

I think you may be on to something, I remember that horrible mall smell from Wilson's.

Respected Contributor

My Blush Roma 2 had quite a strong odor when I first opened the bag it was packed in. I think the odor in mine came more from the lining than the leather. I hung the bag on my den closet door handle, while it was in "training"; and I couldn't sit in the den with that bag -- I had to move it to another room. Now, I don't seem to notice the odor. It wasn't a leather smell, it seemed to be more of a chemical smell.

I took the bag with me when I was out on Memorial Day. It was a very windy day, so maybe that helped to "air out" the bag. Now, I don't really notice the smell. Maybe I'm just getting used to it.

Frequent Contributor

That's too bad! I hope the methods you looked into help get rid of the odor. I bought the blush and it didn't smell at all. I did decide to return it yesterday as there were just too many flaws. Nothing major but when I took them all into consideration it was just not worth keeping. Since my only justification for buying it was the blush color I decided to not exchange it for another. The blush seems to be high up there when it comes to actual flaws and I was concerned I might get one that was even worse ( or smelled, ha!)

I bought this bag instead, A234678, but found it on the Bay for about $75, new with tags. It should arrive today and I have my fingers crossed that it will be a keeper!