Occasional Contributor

G.I.L.I. Roma II - am I crazy (yes, I know) or is some of the hardware PLASTIC?

So I just received my Roma II (in Blush; the color and leather ARE beautiful) but, and I know I'm nuts, I think SOME of the hardware is actually plastic or molded material of some sort. The large rings holding the hand straps, the rings holding the dog-leash clips on the shoulder strap, the ring on the tassel. Those pieces feel decidedly lightweight and make a dull, sort of plastic-y clunk when I tap my ring against them.

AM I nuts? Anybody? If it IS plastic, it doesn't show any sign of being coated or painted, so I don't have immediate worries about the gold color chipping/peeling off, but geez, plastic hardware on a nearly $200 handbag?

Occasional Contributor

Re: G.I.L.I. Roma II - am I crazy (yes, I know) or is some of the hardware PLASTIC?

All the talk on the boards about this bag and no one else has an opinion? Huh. Guess I am crazy.

Honored Contributor

Re: G.I.L.I. Roma II - am I crazy (yes, I know) or is some of the hardware PLASTIC?

I don't own this bag but I can tell you that plastic can be made beautifully and strong. Louis Vuitton actually had a 1K bag style (series) in the Amber Cabos. The entire bag was plastic (see through) with amber plastic link handles....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I just went and touched all the hardware on one of my bags, and I will tell you that it felt like metal to me, and it also felt cool to the touch in a metal kind of way that plastic cannot replicate.

Trusted Contributor

My metallic just arrived, and I checked the hardware -- does not seem to be plastic.

Respected Contributor

There were those who swore that the hardware on the DB TSV domed satchel was plastic. It isn't. Apparently they didn't use heavy metal for the hardware on this Gili bag. You didn't buy a 400 bag where you find heavy hardware.

Super Contributor

Heavy hardware will make the bag heavier.
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate your replies and those who took the time to examine their bags and share their opinions. I'm still conflicted, primarily because I've NEVER seen a metal component that is a ring with a mount for a second piece that has absolutely no seam or solder of any kind. it's as if the entire piece was extruded as a single unit. I'm describing the rings with the dog leash clips attached.

Well, we all have our own opinions; I'm aware how much additional weight this would add IF some of these components are actually plastic and they were to be changed to metal. I just would like to know for certain for myself. Guess I'll just go with my gut.

Thank you, those who replied, for your time.

Trusted Contributor

Hi WombatsMa, You may be right now that I bothered to look closer at the inside hardwar. Have you sent an email asking that they send it to the buyer of that brand. I've done that in the past because CS usually doesn't know that type question. Sometimes they get back to you quickly and other times it takes a while but I've gotten responses. I am undecided about the bag for other reasons and open the box periodically to take a look.

Super Contributor

Try using a magnet on the hardware. A magnet will stick to metal. A magnet will NOT stick to solid brass. Solid brass will have a heft to it and also have a seam in the ring.