Super Contributor

Update to Purchase of an "As Is" Dooney

Hi! I had posted about a week ago that I had finally taken the gamble and ordered an "as is" Dooney hobo in fuschia.

No Image Found

It arrived today. I'm totally IN LOVE Kiss with the color. I looked it over, very carefully, as everyone had advised. I was pleased to see that it came with the accessories. (No, I don't need another key fob, but the wristlet will be a cute gift for one of my teenage cousins.)

I think I found out why it was a return. On the bottom and left corner of the tan trim, there are a few marks, the kind you would get by scraping something along the leather. I don't think the marks stand out or would draw someone's eye to the flaws.

However, I wonder if there's a way I can buff out the marks or polish them to make them less distinctive. I love the purse and I don't think the marks are a deal breaker. But the "little perfectionist" in me would like to try a repair if one is possible.

I knew that if anyone would know what to do, the experienced ladies of this board would be my "angels". Thank you! Smile

Respected Contributor

Re: Update to Purchase of an ""As Is"" Dooney

Check the Dooney site for care instructions for the type of leather used on the corners. I think it might be a vachetta leather, and they don't advise any polishes on vachetta. I think I would try just rubbing it with your fingers.

If you could match the color you could use a sharpie or crayon to blend out the scratches. I do that on black handbags all the time. Sometimes you can find furniture touch up markers that come in sets of 3 colors of brown. One might match. But be very careful as you don't want to make the defect more visible.

In any event, enjoy your handbag. I wouldn't let a few scratches bother me. After a few uses you will probably get a few more. That's just what happens with handbags.

Respected Contributor

On 4/10/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

Check the Dooney site for care instructions for the type of leather used on the corners. I think it might be a vachetta leather, and they don't advise any polishes on vachetta. I think I would try just rubbing it with your fingers.

If you could match the color you could use a sharpie or crayon to blend out the scratches. I do that on black handbags all the time. Sometimes you can find furniture touch up markers that come in sets of 3 colors of brown. One might match. But be very careful as you don't want to make the defect more visible.

In any event, enjoy your handbag. I wouldn't let a few scratches bother me. After a few uses you will probably get a few more. That's just what happens with handbags.

I agree with lavenderjunkie, try rubbing it with your fingers before you do anything else.

Super Contributor

I have been very pleased with results of Whoo-Hoo leather conditioner ...they also have a suede, leather, and fabric protectant. They are each about $30 on Amazon...free shipping I believe. That is after you try rubbing them with your finger. Enjoy your new bag...how lucky to get the wristlet on an as is. Those things go for anywhere from the 60s on up when purchased separately.
Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've cancelled As Is orders before because I couldn't quite go through with it. Your bag is gorgeous!
Honored Contributor

There has been a lot of GREAT ""as is"" bags on the Q lately. Some I noticed are also being discontinued like A225361 for $191.88...the same bag on clearance A220192 is $279.94...original Q/D&B price of $328 (for those interested...watch the video on this one! even Susan Clifton gets giddy about the bag at the :20 mark...so fun...hehehe...glad I got the navy!)...so a REAL deal when you find bags like that before they are gone...

You got a beautiful bag!!!

I agree with others...most scratches can be wiped out with your fingers...or at least dulled to a point where they aren't nearly as noticeable.

Honored Contributor

On 4/12/2014 philogirl said: Thanks for sharing your experience. I've cancelled As Is orders before because I couldn't quite go through with it. Your bag is gorgeous!

IT is definately worth giving ""As Is"" a try..many have not even had the wrappings/stuffing removed and no doubt have been returned by customers who changed their mind after the order was shipped...could be buyer's remorse or the size/color was different from what they expected. I have had GREAT luck with ""As Is"" D&B bags...I didn't return any yet and I got 6 of them

Esteemed Contributor

You might consider using (horse) saddle product or leather car seat product. If mark doesn't completely vanish, at least it should be less noticeable.

Super Contributor

thanks for these reviews.