Respected Contributor
Courtney is selling a Dooney tote and exclaiming about the wonderful Italian nylon. At $139 and $10 shipping I guess the fact that it is Italian nylon justifies the price. Seriously if anyone can tell me how Italian nylon differs from American or Chinese nylon I would be interested.
Frequent Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Yes that exquisite Italian nylon. This and "pop of color" said at least ten times a day on every home shopping show featuring ladies' clothes or accessories--highly amusing.

As to the price of a nylon handbag from DB. I guess you either like the maker enough to invest your dollars in what they make or you don't. So far I've been pleased with the quality and price of the leather bags I've owned made by Dooney and I'd be willing to bet their non leathers are just as well made. But I haven't spent what they're asking for their Italian Nylon bags and probably won't. Nylon, no matter where it's made, is not on my most wanted list when it comes to handbags. Nothing wrong with it, that's just my personal preference.

Susan

Respected Contributor

This Dooney nylon is very substantial as opposed to regular thin, shiny nylon used in bags, even former Dooneys. It is a bit like soft canvas, takes color beautifully, and is very stain/soil resistant. I have two, one in a fuschia I used for almost a year and it looks like new.

Also, regular nylon (like windbreaker nylon) will collapse when you set it down; this has structure but is still soft and lightweight. The perfect material for those of us who love Dooney but can't handle the weight of a heavy leather bag.

Calling it Italian, even if it is, really tells the customer nothing about its properties though.

Respected Contributor
Author, Thanks for your explanation. I have several Doonys I enjoy but doubt that I would pay the price for a nylon bag.
Super Contributor
Aimee has one bag with Italian leather on the front. Also on her web site she has a lot more fabric bags. There is a difference between European and US fabrics...lace, brocade and others. On one of the designer reality shows, they flew the designers to various European countries just to go to fabric stores.
Super Contributor

I understand Italian leather but Italian nylon is just a marketing ploy -

Regular Contributor
I have an Italian Nylon Dooney giraffe print, that I love. I believe author explained it very well.
Honored Contributor
On 4/5/2014 author said:

This Dooney nylon is very substantial as opposed to regular thin, shiny nylon used in bags, even former Dooneys. It is a bit like soft canvas, takes color beautifully, and is very stain/soil resistant. I have two, one in a fuschia I used for almost a year and it looks like new.

Also, regular nylon (like windbreaker nylon) will collapse when you set it down; this has structure but is still soft and lightweight. The perfect material for those of us who love Dooney but can't handle the weight of a heavy leather bag.

Calling it Italian, even if it is, really tells the customer nothing about its properties though.

Great explanation...I have 3 of the D&B nylon shoppers...black, hot pink and turquoise. They are lightweight, sturdy and with some structure...just as you mentioned. I was lucky to get them all at a great sale prices/deals...between $69-$90 each Smile

Honored Contributor

I resisted Dooney nylon for years, thinking nylon is nylon, but it isn't. Until you try a Dooney nylon bag you don't realize how much nicer it is than the average nylon, not that there aren't other nicer nylon bags available. Whether the designation 'Italian' is marketing hype or not, there really is a difference!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

I am a handbag junkie and I have NEVER heard of Italian nylon! Isn't all nylon the same? I think they say that to justify the outrageous price!!!!