Occasional Contributor

Just got a beautiful Cynthia Rowley messenger bag at T.J. Maxx. I am wondering how I can tell if the leather is untreated? It is a light leather with darker leather strapes. I really love it just want to know so I remember to be a bit more careful with it! Thanks for any helpSmiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

No one? I dont know the name of the bag the tag only says genuine leather and its made by Cynthia Rowley. I was hoping someone here could help me. I searched for Cynthia Rowley and found nothing on this bag!

Honored Contributor

My only suggestion is to try a few drops of water on an unobtrusive part of the bag and see if it beads and rolls off or penetrates the leather. I can't imagine that a CR bad wouldn't have some finish to the leather. I've seen a number of her bags at the Maxx and they appear to be very nice bags. The only other notion would be to go ahead and treat the bag after again checking to ensure a protector will not change the color in a way you no longer like.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Why not protect it yourself with mink oil?

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Stevieb, I will try a drop or two of water on the underside. If it isn't treated I will try mink oil. I wasn't sure what to use, thanks lolakimono!

Respected Contributor

Mink oil is a wax consistency. I use it often on handbags. My advice if you use it is to use a soft cloth to apply it, and use a very small amount. Then after you have treated the handbag, use a clean cloth to buff it up and remove any excess. If you handbag is a light color, the mink oil will darken the leather. Make sure you application is even or you might see marks. Certain manufacturers tell you not to treat their leathers (like Dooney and B Mak) and when they say don't, I don't. Others may, but I'm more concerned with ruining a new handbag than protecting it from a future problem.

I don't know what to advise for your handbag as I'm not familiar with the brand/leather. Be sure to test first, just to be safe. I've had some handbags that stained and others where the color came off when I applied the mink oil.

Occasional Contributor

Well, it doesn't look like its treated. I put a small drop of water on it. At first it just sat there but within a few seconds it soaked in and left a small darker spot. I was able to rub it out, but wouldn't that mean it isn't treated? I started looking closer at it and it seems to scratch very easily. I can make a scratch by just running my fingernail over it. I am able to rub most of the scratches out, there were some from just sitting in the bag! I am wondering if I should keep it. I love it , it is just what I have been looking for, but I am worried it will look horrible just from daily use. Will the mink oil protect it from scratches as well as water?

Occasional Contributor

Thanks lavenderjunkie, I think we were posting at the same time. I tried to find info on this bag and can't find anything! I don't even know the name of the bag! So I 'm not sure if they recommend treating it or not. I will try to post a pic, never have so not sure if I know howSmiley Happy, but would that help?

Respected Contributor

I don't think mink oil will protect it from scratches. I think it's the nature of certain leathers to show scratches. If that bothers you, the handbag may not be the right one for you. A pebbled leather handbag is more durable and shows a lot less wear than a smooth leather that shows scratches and marks.

Honored Contributor

I tend not to worry too much about signs of wear, but if you want a bag to remain pristine, it's true that some leathers are more resistant to marks than are others. You might also consider one of the leather conditioners sold by Coach or at lots of places. Every so often with those bags that are supposed to appear more dressy, I'll go over them with a soft cloth and just a few drops of leather conditioner and while it won't remove deep marks, it does give the bag an almost like new appearance.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...