Trusted Contributor

General Handbag Question Regarding Brightly Colored Bags

I just love all the colored bags I see on QVC and everywhere else. However, I still seem to struggle with purchasing anything other than the neutrals -- black, taupe -- things like that. I still worry about the brighter colors not going with the clothing I'm wearing (if that even matters anymore). I was wondering if any of you "brave souls"Wink who carry the colored bags would carry this B. Makowsky bag (AA252294) no matter what color you are wearing? I don't purchase a ton of bags, so I want to get something that I can use most of the time during the spring/summer. Thanks in advance for any input.

B. Makowsky Arabella Pebble Leather Shopper

Trusted Contributor

Re: General Handbag Question Regarding Brightly Colored Bags

I have a few bags in brighter hues and love to wear them as a "pop of color" with neutrals. For starters, your turquoise bag would look smashing with black, white, gray, taupe, or other neutrals or combos of neutrals. Also with prints that have turquoise in them. It can go with other colors, too, but those are probably some of the "easiest" ones to try first.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, GoodStuff. I guess I have to start somewhere since I do love all the beautiful colored bags!

Honored Contributor

I wear a lot of solids - black mostly. LOL.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bag that color. I very rarely carry a black bag.

Super Contributor

I agree with GoodStuff.

I own several bright handbags. I particularly love to carry them in the spring and summer. Here are a few outfits and the bags I would carry with them:

Work:

Black pants, B&W striped ponte knit jacket, raspberry shell, raspberry bag

Casual:

Khaki pants, navy 3/4 sleeve T, nude sandals, orange bag

Raspberry cropped pants, white T, metallic sandals, grass green bag

Respected Contributor

I love wearing bright bags in the spring and summer. I think you should go for it!

Honored Contributor

I guess I'm too lazy to switch out my bags that often. So my bright bags sit unused and I end up with black, brown on cognac. Same goes with shoes. I guess color shows up in tops for me.

Respected Contributor

That bag, and that color, is beautiful! I wouldn't hesitate to carry it. I have a bright pink Coach bag my husband bought for me a year ago. Funny, it's almost the color of the new Pantone orchid. That bag has received more compliments than any other bag I have ever carried in my life. People just seem to gravitate towards the brighter colors.

Trusted Contributor

maddiecat = Sounds like you've got everything together! Thanks for the ideas!

LisaB = Thanks for the support! I guess I do need to go for it.

Would either of you carry a colored bag that didn't necessarily ""match"" what you're wearing? I know I see women all the time carrying bags that don't really match their clothing.

Honored Contributor

You have to be true to yourself and the image you want to project. If you aren't comfortable carrying a bright bag, there is no reason to force yourself. We don't have to buy into every single fashion trend. I wear a lot of neutrals year round, so I have always (for 30 years) carried bright bags. My color usually comes from my bag and my jewelry. Yes, indeed, I would carry big bright blue (or yellow or green or orange) bag regardless of what I am wearing. Red is in many ways a neutral now, it goes with almost everything. So, you might be more comfortable with a red bag.