Super Contributor

Something said on LR Show last night about handbag really made me stop and think...

Last night on the LR Show, there was a handbag presented (a new G.I.L.I one that has 3 colors and clutches can snap on/off on either side). Lisa was saying it was "lamb leather" and how fabulous it was...and that it was hard to get & they may not be able to continue to get it etc.

For some reason it really hit me when she said "lamb" and I felt bad for the young sheep (usually those less than 1 year old are referred to as lambs).

I'm not so naïve to think that animals aren't slaughtered everyday for all of the other leathers we wear in handbags, shoes, etc. And of course our food. I will not purchase or wear anything made with real fur but her comment really made me think. I'm not ready to stop purchasing leather all together. It does hold up the best and I hate the cheap look of pleather...or whatever the latest fancy names are that they have for it Smiley Wink

Definitely made me not want to buy that bag though! And I may open up to looking at pleather bags even though I don't like the cheap look of them. Anyone else feel this way?

Are there any nice looking & good quality (long lasting) handbags that aren't leather? Just curious.

Honored Contributor

Re: Something said on LR Show last night about handbag really made me stop and think...

As a vegetarian, I try to steer clear of all leather although sometimes it's impossible. Alternatives to leather are usually made of chemical laden products I don't care for either.

Queork is a company that makes beautiful handbags out of cork. You should visit the website.

Super Contributor

Re: Something said on LR Show last night about handbag really made me stop and think...

Thanks Lucky Charm--I'll check them out! Oh great...never thought about all the chemicals in the man made ones. Ugh...

Honored Contributor

I hate when I hear lamb as well-they are so sweet and innocent.

Years ago I remember reading that they would take the baby out of the mother before it was born because the fur was even softer-how gross and pitiful.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Frequent Contributor

bunnypink...I heard the same thing..and it made me sit up as well. I agree with you and know where leather comes from, but I was taken aback with the reference to the lamb. I won't buy the bag for just that reason and I'm not quite sure why...an animal is an animal. I'll definitely be giving this more thought.....
Super Contributor

Oh, catlover, that's just absolutely horrible!!!

Trusted Contributor

I agree also. The way she kept saying lamb leather really turned me off.

Regular Contributor

I have a couple of leather handbags and some leather shoes/boots. But, I will NEVER purchase anything made with lamb or calf leather. Overall, I try very hard to keep my purse and handbag purchases to a minimum, purchasing things that wear well and long. I know EXACTLY what the OP means by the horrid feeling she got when thinking about lambs.

Regular Contributor

ITA agree with the OP.

Super Contributor

As long as people are eating lamb, why just waste the hides? If they were slaughtered just for our coats and handbags, then I wouldn't purchase them. I don't personally eat lamb but that has to do with my area. The Midwest isn't 't big on eating lamb and mutton.