Esteemed Contributor

Is Saffiano Leather smooth or pebbled? What is so special about this leather? TIA Maria

Honored Contributor

Re: ? about Saffiano leather.

I think it's a textured leather, but not pebbled. I have a couple of bags labeled as Saffiano and they appear to have very subtle ridges in the leather. It's hard to explain, but the bags I have that are Saffiano are neither smooth nor pebbled, but clearly textured, but again, very subtly...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks stevieb.... I thought you might have the answer. I read your post about TSV. I do not care for it either. Great minds think alike! LOL

Frequent Contributor

I don't care for it. It's stiff and doesn't smell like leather. I purchased a Tory Burch patent saffiano leather satchel and it looked and felt like plastic...plus the hardware on the handles squeaked because the leather was stiff. Needless to say I returned the bag. What a disappointment. No more saffiano for me.
Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2014 Boehm Collecter said:

Thanks stevieb.... I thought you might have the answer. I read your post about TSV. I do not care for it either. Great minds think alike! LOL

Wink

For what it's worth, I like my Saffiano bags... I like the look of the subtly textured leather. Anyone seeking more of a Florentine like or more traditional leather look isn't probably going to appreciate this one, but I've yet to meet a leather finish (not to say color) I really don't like!

Trusted Contributor

Saffiano leather has a little more structure than some other leathers, and it has what I refer to as a "crosshatch" pattern. I like it on some bags.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2014 Divine said:

Saffiano leather has a little more structure than some other leathers, and it has what I refer to as a "crosshatch" pattern. I like it on some bags.

Thanks Divine, I think that describes it nicely.

Smile

Super Contributor

Girls:

Go to: Ask.com

What is Saffiano leather?

There are different web sites you can go to. Basically, the leather is tectured and then a wax treatment is used to coat it, making it scratch resistant, and water resistant. I have never seen it in person, but I imagine it is similar to the coating put on some of the LV bags.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

PS where the heck is "spell check"?

Honored Contributor

Or Google images for Saffiano leather and some fabulous examples come up, several from Prada that are pretty sweet... and pricey!

Super Contributor

Handbags are so personal we all look for different things in our bags and yet we all want the same thing. I have one Staffiano bag and love it. The texture is subtle and doesn't show scratches and yet looks very smart