Valued Contributor

How much did you pay to size your ring?

My wedding ring was just too large - it cost $44.99 to reduce it one size. Seems expensive - what do you think?
Honored Contributor

Re: How much did you pay to size your ring?

Is your ring 14K gold, is it 18K gold, is there a sterling silver middle, is it platinum, how much had to be removed? The last time I had one downsized was a 14K gold band from a 7 to a 4 and it was $75. I think there is a reason for the costs and upsizing is much more expensive. This is an art form so as not to ruin your ring. Gold is high nowadays and if someone messes it up and has to redo the whole thing, it is going to cost him/her a lot. It is kind of time, art form and insurance for the customer and the jeweler.

Valued Contributor

Depends upon the metal and the work involved. Platinum heirloom costs more than 18k, which costs more than14k. Silver is least expensive. Add "speed bumps" to prevent rotation and the price is higher for any of the options. In order to size it properly, the ring shape has to remain uniform. Taking out a slice and soldering the ends makes it irregularly shaped and possibly uncomfortable if the design is elaborate. Very fine skill and craftsmanship. You don't want it done wrong.
Honored Contributor

Sometimes they also have to also tighten the stones after they work on the band

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

It used to be so inexpensive. I wonder what changed.

Honored Contributor

Does not sound expensive to me with the price of gold.

Valued Contributor

If it is all gold and you are reducing it, make sure they give you credit for the gold they are removing. It is worth something.

Valued Contributor

I went back the next day to pick up my ring. They had mistakenly reduced it to a 6 when they said they would make it a 6 and 1/2 ! So I had to go back the next day to pick up my ring again. They had removed gold costing me $44 and they had to put back some gold!

Valued Contributor

I would definitely be calling the manager or owner. With a mix up like that, no charge should've been what they said.
Respected Contributor

Not out of line. There is a charge to size down, and a different charge to size up. If it's a wedding set, you're sizeing in two different rings. The price of the gold removed is factored into the price. Also, wide rings will cost more to size than thin rings. Men's more than women's. Mall stores usually send all the work out so they're shipping charges. Look for a bench jeweler who does work in house.