Honored Contributor

I did not want to give up my pretty Shariff wallet that I had saved up months for just to get RFID protection. So i purchased the sleeves. I've had them about a week. I believed they were going to be a pain in the neck but in reality - they are no real problem at all. I did have to write with a sharpie pen on each sleeve what was in it - for instance my Mac card I wrote Mac and my credit card I wrote the name of the card co and my drivers lic I wrote DL. so now I know before I look what is in each sleeve. Otherwise I feel they are a pretty wise choice to protect yourself. DH even put his cc in them, which certainly surprised me.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: The RFID protecting sleeves

I went with the TSV purse and wallet from travelon. Both have the same RFID protection and both cost only 36 dollars. Very nice purse and wallet for the price. I brought the purse and wallet in black so I can use the wallet with any purse I own.

Trusted Contributor

When I bought checks from my bank, I get 5 free RFID sleeves. I use them.

Honored Contributor

I've only gotten one credit card with a chip. Our DL and my passport don't have them. I don't carry that one credit card with me so am pretty much unaffected by the fuss.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I bought several sets of sleeves last year and passed them around to my family. I can't say if all of them are faithful in using them, but DH and I are. I've thought about the Travelon purse/wallet combo or just the wallet, but haven't acted yet. If I knew they'd all use it, I'd get wallets for the family this year.

Respected Contributor

I got a set of 2 things here, QVC that you put one in front of all your cards and the other in the back and it protects them all. They give you 4 so you have 2 sets to use. For me these are more convenient since I don't have to take them out of sleeves, just pick up the cards and get the one I want not that I have a lot, only 1 and a few store cards.

Frequent Contributor

If you Google hacks for RFID wallets, double aluminum foil as a liner in the bill section of a wallet works as an inexpensive alternative, or making your own RFID wallet with duct tape and aluminum foil is another way. There are a number of step by step methods online. If you have several cards stacked together, the signal thieves get off the cards is confused and not as usable. I have also seen just wrapping a card with aluminum foil works (this from a tv news show. I double folded aluminum foil, slotted the card between and slid it into the card slot in my wallet.) Also, an Altoid mint case, with aluminum lining works well for a card keeper.

My DH and I had a lengthy discussion about this and did a lot of Google searches as research. One thing, though, the card is still very vulnerable when you pull it out to pay for something. Then it is out in the open air and the data can be grabbed from someone standing nearby.

Super Contributor

I found the sleeves to be a real pain. They didn't always fit in the slots in many of my wallets, and they covered the names of the cards. I didn't want to advertise on the outside what they were, or take them off and on at every use

I first bought an RFID wallet, which is nice and transferable to anything. But it became too long and large for small purses, clutches, etc. I bought a few Travelon bags in a variety of shapes, kinds, and colors, and that is a big relief. Besides, they are so lightweight you hardly know they are there. and no one can slice through them and/or cut the strap and make it fall off your shoulder. Also, I can carry anything in my purse or wallet and not worry about it now. the wallet part keeps my cards and license protected, and I feel much safer when out of my home.

I gifted two last year and the women were very, very grateful !

Honored Contributor

There is no way on this earth I would wrap up my cc in aluminum foil and go out to use it in public. As it is people notice the sleeve and ask me what it is. Both my new DL and my credit card passport came with a sleeve to protect them and instructions to keep the cards in the sleeve at all times.I doubt the government would spend $$$ on those sleeves if they weren't necessary.

Honored Contributor

On 12/9/2014 lennox25 said:

I found the sleeves to be a real pain. They didn't always fit in the slots in many of my wallets, and they covered the names of the cards. I didn't want to advertise on the outside what they were, or take them off and on at every use

I first bought an RFID wallet, which is nice and transferable to anything. But it became too long and large for small purses, clutches, etc. I bought a few Travelon bags in a variety of shapes, kinds, and colors, and that is a big relief. Besides, they are so lightweight you hardly know they are there. and no one can slice through them and/or cut the strap and make it fall off your shoulder. Also, I can carry anything in my purse or wallet and not worry about it now. the wallet part keeps my cards and license protected, and I feel much safer when out of my home.

I gifted two last year and the women were very, very grateful !

The travelon bags and wallets are a good idea but not everyone wants to carry a cloth purse or wallet. Or the same purse every day.They just aren't everyone cup of tea. The travelon wallet is not big enough for my needs - not enough slots. Plus I paid a lot of money for a special Shariff wallet and I like to carry it. I didn't buy it for it to sit in a cupboard.