Contributor

Why is Tignanello sooo expensive now and with fake "man made" trim? What happened?

I can recall a time when Tig purses were ALL leather and for around 69 dollars. Now we get stiff, 1/2 leather and all this man made trim stuff at a price thats rivaling the big designers!

It's really irritating me. I have alot of Tig bags from yesteryear and I stopped buying these newbies because they keep falling apart as does my wallet.

Sigh.

Super Contributor

Re: Why is Tignanello sooo expensive now and with fake ""man made"" trim? What happened?

I have 2 from "yesteryear" and I still use them, occasionally. Several of my more recent Tigs had to be 'retired' within months of using them. I posted about them on the other thread.

My wallets have held up well, and those I had purchased from TJ's (under $30 each). Not a bad price for pebbled leather!

The so-called "retail price" for the new Tigs is extremely overinflated and seems to be following the B Mak pricing, probably because the parent company owns both brands.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Why is Tignanello sooo expensive now and with fake ""man made"" trim? What happened?

They got bought out by B. Makowsky. I'm guessing the use of cheaper materials and higher prices has to do with greed. I know what you mean about the quality leathers and reasonable prices they used to have. Glad I bought 2 of my favorite style in different colors back then. At the time I thought it was quite a splurge but so glad I did it since the bag isn't even available anymore. They were great quality so I hope to have them for many more years.
Honored Contributor

was at a store today looking at handbags and boots......the tags said ""vegan leather"" ""faux leather"" and ""manmade leather""......but all of the prices reflected real leather to me.....

Honored Contributor

I've pretty much moved away from this brand. I was never a huge fan, but some of their older handbags were good bags. Look for them elsewhere and you'll find they're available for quite a bit less than sold for here.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The only bag in that line that interests me is this one:

http://www.qvc.com/Tignanello-Glove-Leather-Pocket-Hobo-w-Braided-Accent-&-Key-Fob.product.A92852.ht...

I have some all leather older ones that are of much better quality than what they are now offering.

Respected Contributor

I find the description of Tignanello "Leather" quite deceptive when the straps, bottom, outside and inside trim are all manmade materials. They were nice bags years ago, but now they have been dumbed down and not something that I would purchase.

Honored Contributor

I've noticed that the prices have snuck up there.

Trusted Contributor

I used to love Tig bags. Now, I would rather pay $200 for a B. Makowsky all leather bag than $100 for the Tignanello. Those new Tignanello bags with the vachetta have so much man made material on them it's ridiculous. Plus, I resented that during the initial presentation they acted like the vachetta was leather. Both the representative and the QVC host said enthusiastically "and this is our VACHETTA bag" as if it was the real thing. Not one time did they say it was faux. I find this very deceptive and whoever is calling the shots at QVC needs to wake up. Once you destroy trust, it's all over. It was a colorful bag that I loved and would have ordered had it not been for all that fake vachetta covering it.

Respected Contributor

I am going to add that Vachetta IS leather. It's usually untreated. On the tig bags, they might be using fake.

Again vachetta is real leather. It is used on very high end bags.

I haven't purchased tig bags in over 15 years. They were great back then and well madet. Things have really gotten bad: Fossil bags are now retailing for $200 if they are leather. They used to be very affordable (aimed at the young.)