Contributor

Guilt over too many handbags?

I was sitting here researching the next handbag I had in mind to purchase when my husband took notice to what I was doing. Next thing I know it turned into a debate on why I shouldn't purchase another. Yes I understand I have a pretty good collection of colors, styles, and materials but, I can't help myself from wanting more. LOL. Men just don't get it. But then I did get me thinking, almost every bag I buy I go into the purchase thinking that it will be the bag that I carry for everyday use for a while. When I get the bag I do tend to use it right away but only lasts for close to a month before I set my sights on another one. Let me add that these are not cheap bags but rather pricey purchases. So I started looking at some of the bags just sitting on the shelf and realize how much money is just sitting there unused, (I rarely go back to a bag) crazy I know. So the bottom line is that my husband has a good point. Now it's got me feeling guilty of the bags I have and makes me rethink getting another bag that in a month will probably be sitting with the rest. Such a waste really... Does anyone else go through this? LOL I can't be the only one...

Super Contributor

Re: Guilt over too many handbags?

I have about 50 nice designer handbags in my closet. I am going to sell at least 40 on Ebay! I hardly ever change bags & now that I am older they are just too heavy to carry. Some are not even used-what a waste of money!

Regular Contributor

This is me too. I have way too many bags that still have the tags on them, and I STILL shop. That's one thing I really want to do this year - stop with the spending on things like bags, clothes, beauty items, things I already have way too much of and haven't used/worn.

Honored Contributor

I don't have guilt over my handbags, but realize I have more than enough to do me for my lifetime. I have always chosen quality handbags, but in recent years I have added several expensive bags to the mix. During my purge last year, I got rid of several bags, and now just have the best ones that fit my current style---about 15 total now. I have no plans to buy more handbags.

Honored Contributor

No guilt here. I don't have that many purses. I have about 10 total.

I do feel like I need to use, sell, or donate some I haven't used in the last year. A few are larger than I want to carry now (sparing myself from shoulder problems) but I can't quite part with any yet.

Honored Contributor

No

I have a big birthday coming up and I want a big label bag to match

so I was ""researching"" too

Honored Contributor

however having a bunch sitting in your closet that you never use like Catprincess said doesn't make sense. I took some to the consignment store

Respected Contributor

I'd sell the ones I know I'm never going to use - eBay or a consignment shop. Any with tags still on maybe could be returned to where you bought them. Nordstrom and Macy's for instance have very liberal return policies. If you're actually feeling guilt over purchases that should be a sign that you're overdoing it.

Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness! You are not the only one. I am your clone...did my husband put you up to writing this? LOL Every word you wrote...EVERY word is me! This thread hit me like a brick right between the eyes!

I recently cleaned out tons of purses I hadn't used in ages. Old styles/designers I don't like anymore (KVZ for one), purses too small, handles too short. I was ashamed of what filled the back of my car. I gave them away to anyone who would take them and like them. Donated the rest. It only put a dent in what I have. Sigh.

I vowed this year to stop it and to go back and reuse the handbags I have stored. Was doing good till last night when the IM Bridgehampton hobo went on EZ pay and free shipping. It has a nice long handle so I tried to justify the purchase that is was needed since I am wearing huge winter coats and need a long strap drop. No excuse really.

Thanks for the dose of reality. I am going to continue my quest to improve this habit of mine.

Honored Contributor

People call me the bag lady but for different reasons.