Contributor

Im wondering if anybody here actually has a card with RFID. It seems QVC is really pushing this and scare tactics. I know I currently don't have any cards with RFID. I contacted Bank of American about chip technology and they said they started introducing a card with a chip that is more secure and generates a unique number and they'd be happy to send me one. Since many retailers don't have the technology, you might still have to swipe it. I asked about RFID and they said that is not the technology they use (because of security issues). Its something calle EMV which is used throughout Europe. It does NOT emit a signal that can be stolen. It is put into a terminal but is not a tap n pay type situation. I then contacted Visa and the card they have that has RFID is something specific called Visa PayWave. Old time credit cards don't have any chips.

So do a lot of you really have cards that use RFID and require all this protection or have you fallen for the QHype?

Honored Contributor
I recently got my first card, a MasterCard, with a chip. I only carry my debit card with me routinely so for me, this RFID business is a moot issue. The new MasterCard was issued by USAA.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I don't have any CCs with the chip, either. Within the last few months, 2 of my CCs have expired - and neither replacement card had the chip. When I spoke to CS about it, both companies stated that it was not common at this time to issue cards with this feature.

Esteemed Contributor

My dh and I usually only carry our debit cards with us; however, we have them in RFID envelopes. To me, why not do whatever you can do to avoid a possible problem? A few years ago we had a breech with one of our credit cards and the only thing we could think of was that they got the info on line. Fortunately, our bank contacted us right away because it was a very unusual purchase and a lot of money.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Contributor
On 12/2/2014 kachina624 said: I recently got my first card, a MasterCard, with a chip. I only carry my debit card with me routinely so for me, this RFID business is a moot issue. The new MasterCard was issued by USAA.

Is it a tap and pay?

My point is just because it has a chip doesnt mean its the RFID technology. Thats what I learned after contacting Visa and the Bank issuer. Thats my point.

Contributor
On 12/2/2014 twopeas said:

My dh and I usually only carry our debit cards with us; however, we have them in RFID envelopes. To me, why not do whatever you can do to avoid a possible problem? A few years ago we had a breech with one of our credit cards and the only thing we could think of was that they got the info on line. Fortunately, our bank contacted us right away because it was a very unusual purchase and a lot of money.

Nothing wrong with that if you're not paying extra for that 'protection' or get a false sense of security as those RFID envelopes are doing nothing to protect you except making you feel better. By the way, make sure you realize that debit cards don't offer you any fraud protection. If someone steals your information, they can wipe out your bank account instantly. Credit cards offer you protection so you're not liable. A debit card immediately withdraws money from your account. Credit cards also can offer you protection on purchases. Just something to consider

Valued Contributor

The threat is real and QVC is not selling ""hype"" nor using scare tactics.

Esteemed Contributor

Some credit card companies will send it out freely and others told me... until WE HAVE TO they are not doing it. I guess they are waiting for BIG BROTHER to force them.

So I have one card and it swipes differently, it is inserted in a slot. Stores have to get this technology. In most cases it is not there yet.

Also I am not all that sure it is more secure. I carry a RFID blocker wallet. Must be a reason they make them. Seems people can still access these cards.

I think no one is really safe. Target is a big company, it was hacked. And others were too including our own government.

Contributor
On 12/2/2014 coco14 said:

The threat is real and QVC is not selling "hype" nor using scare tactics.

It is real if you have a credit card that uses RFID technology. I don't think most people do.

Most people don't have cards with chips...Q implies that if your card has a chip , it is RFID ...But thats not true as I learned today and posted.

If you have an RFID credit card, yes the threat is real and you should protect myself. My point is I bet most of the people buying this do not have RFID cards , and if thats the case, its not going to make a difference. IF they like the styles and the prices are the same, go for it...but don't pay a premium or have a false sense of security

Respected Contributor
I think they taking advantage of people's fears and ignorance of technology. RFID refers to anything emitting radio frequency waves. I know nothing in my wallet does that. In the next year or so, EMV will be required for Visa and Master Card like Europe has. It will make it impossible for people to create forged credit cards and use them. However, if someone has your number, they can still make online purchases. The biggest risk to our cards are still the hackers who can break into retailers computer systems or crooks who use skimmers, which are secretly installed places where you use your card and they collect the info when you put your card in. Gas stations are particularly vulnerable.