Super Contributor

Please need help with Eye Glass script?

I went to an Optometrist yesterday... He did an extensive eye exam... He also sells fames.

I wear Progressive glasses and cannot understand the prescription he wrote out..

Since I am having a hard time finding eye glass frames that I find comfortable...

Can anyone help me?

OD SPHERE +2.25 . Cylinder -.75. Axis 75...

OS. SPHERE. +.75 AXIS 105

ADD TO OD 2.50 PD65

UNDER THAT ONE ADD 2.50..

He did not add any remarks...

Reason I am asking is my OPTHAMOLOGIS who I go to yearly... Last visit gave me a script in DEC. . Reading is different and really confused.

His script reads....

OD Sphere- +1.25 Cylinder +1.00 Axis 175

OS Sphere +075 Cylinder +075 Axis 10.

Remarks +2.50 progressive?

My area does not have many Vision centers etc....

I really do not know at this point what to do...

When it comes to Eye Glasses I do not want to travel a long distance do to any future problems...

lovestodance{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Re: Please need help with Eye Glass script?

It seems to me if you have questions you need to ask them of the doctor who wrote the prescription. People on the boards are not optical experts. I also don't understand why you need an explanation in order to select frames? I never even look at my prescriptions, I just hand it to the optician and select my frame.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Optometrists and opthalmologists write prescriptions differently. Either professional can easily translate the other's Rx for you, and tell you how much difference there is in the Rx. Opthamologists write Rx in plus (+) cylinder format. Optometrists use minus (-) cylinder format.

While you were at the last professional's office, all you would have had to do is ask how much, if any difference between your last Rx and the one he/she is writing. Some will also translate for you on a printout, but not on an Rx form.

Unlike optometrists, opthalmologists don't 'sell' glasses, so they don't normally add 'PD' (pupillary distance) on the Rx. They leave that to the optician who will be filling the Rx so they can properly measure the distance when they fit your frames and before filling your Rx.

The 'ADD 2.50' is the addition for reading strength for either bifocals or progressives.

If you're getting progressives, your lenses should have a minimum height of 35-38mm.

Honored Contributor

hope this helps

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/how-read-eye-glass-prescription

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

If your eyeglass RX is very strong (like mine is), it's really worth it to pay a little extra to get High-Index lenses

They're thinner and more lightweight - read: more comfortable - than your typical progressive lenses. 8-)

How to Read and Enter Your Eyeglass Prescription

While you don't need to completely understand how to read your eyeglass prescription to place an order on AC Lens, you'll need to know the basics in order to select and order the right lenses for your eyes. We've provided assistance with how to read and enter your prescription in the information below. If you don't have a copy of your prescription, or are not sure how to read it, rest assured that as long as you have your doctor's information we can contact your doctor directly in order to obtain your correct prescription.

How do I read my eyeglass prescription?

Your prescription should look somewhat similar to the following:

Below are examples of how a prescription can look and how it would be entered into our website.

How do I know if my prescription is Single Vision or Bifocal? Or Progressive (Multifocal)?

Doctors write prescriptions in many different ways. Below is an explanation of how to tell if your prescription is for single vision or bifocal lenses.

SINGLE VISION

Single Vision prescriptions are for patients who have trouble seeing either near or far (but not both). An example of a Single Vision prescription can be seen below. As you can see, the prescription has no value in the ADD column.

BIFOCAL / PROGRESSIVE VISION

Bifocal prescriptions are for patients who have trouble seeing both near and far. An example of a Bifocal prescription can be seen below. As you can see, the prescription has a value in the ADD column. You will only have an ADD measurement if you wear bifocal/progressives lenses.

ADD corrections are almost always the same number for both eyes. If you happen to see the letters PAL next to one of the numbers, or written elsewhere on your prescription, this means your doctor indicated that you will need a different ADD correction for progressive bifocals versus lined bifocals. Since AC Lens only offers Progressive Bifocal lenses, you'll want to use the number with PAL next to it when entering your prescription on our site. That number will apply to both eyes so make sure you enter it on both eyes. Below is an example of a PAL prescription:

What if my prescription has a value in the Prism column?

Unfortunately, AC Lens is not currently able to create glasses with Prism corrections. An example of a prescription with a Prism correction can be found below:

I want to purchase eyeglasses through AC Lens, but this prescription stuff is confusing. Is there an easier way?

Absolutely! You can always leave the prescription fields blank when ordering, and then either send us a copy of your prescription, or give us your eye doctor's contact information and we will collect your prescription information directly; ensuring that your prescription is correct while you remain free of worry!

Super Contributor

On 7/5/2014 Feline Fine said:

If your eyeglass RX is very strong (like mine is), it's really worth it to pay a little extra to get High-Index lenses

They're thinner and more lightweight - read: more comfortable - than your typical progressive lenses. 8-)

How to Read and Enter Your Eyeglass Prescription

While you don't need to completely understand how to read your eyeglass prescription to place an order on AC Lens, you'll need to know the basics in order to select and order the right lenses for your eyes. We've provided assistance with how to read and enter your prescription in the information below. If you don't have a copy of your prescription, or are not sure how to read it, rest assured that as long as you have your doctor's information we can contact your doctor directly in order to obtain your correct prescription.

How do I read my eyeglass prescription?

Your prescription should look somewhat similar to the following:

Below are examples of how a prescription can look and how it would be entered into our website.

How do I know if my prescription is Single Vision or Bifocal? Or Progressive (Multifocal)?

Doctors write prescriptions in many different ways. Below is an explanation of how to tell if your prescription is for single vision or bifocal lenses.

SINGLE VISION

Single Vision prescriptions are for patients who have trouble seeing either near or far (but not both). An example of a Single Vision prescription can be seen below. As you can see, the prescription has no value in the ADD column.

BIFOCAL / PROGRESSIVE VISION

Bifocal prescriptions are for patients who have trouble seeing both near and far. An example of a Bifocal prescription can be seen below. As you can see, the prescription has a value in the ADD column. You will only have an ADD measurement if you wear bifocal/progressives lenses.

ADD corrections are almost always the same number for both eyes. If you happen to see the letters PAL next to one of the numbers, or written elsewhere on your prescription, this means your doctor indicated that you will need a different ADD correction for progressive bifocals versus lined bifocals. Since AC Lens only offers Progressive Bifocal lenses, you'll want to use the number with PAL next to it when entering your prescription on our site. That number will apply to both eyes so make sure you enter it on both eyes. Below is an example of a PAL prescription:

What if my prescription has a value in the Prism column?

Unfortunately, AC Lens is not currently able to create glasses with Prism corrections. An example of a prescription with a Prism correction can be found below:

I want to purchase eyeglasses through AC Lens, but this prescription stuff is confusing. Is there an easier way?

Absolutely! You can always leave the prescription fields blank when ordering, and then either send us a copy of your prescription, or give us your eye doctor's contact information and we will collect your prescription information directly; ensuring that your prescription is correct while you remain free of worry!

Many thanks for taking the time to post this..... I am really in need of new prescription glasses..

Maybe this will help me...

I have been tempted to order on-line from Glasses USA... Also since I cannot find a similar frame that I have had for several years... They are plastic and have a small oval shape to fit progressive lenses..

It's amazing how light they are... Also have gotten really so use to them as well..

Unfortunitely the Optometrist who I went to did not have anything that was similar..

Went to several places and cannot find any right for me..

The frames I have seen are too expensive for my budget.... Really would rather spend more on the type of lenses I want...

Many thanks again.

lovestodanceSmile

Respected Contributor

On 7/4/2014 Deadeye Daisy said:

Optometrists and opthalmologists write prescriptions differently. Either professional can easily translate the other's Rx for you, and tell you how much difference there is in the Rx. Opthamologists write Rx in plus (+) cylinder format. Optometrists use minus (-) cylinder format.

While you were at the last professional's office, all you would have had to do is ask how much, if any difference between your last Rx and the one he/she is writing. Some will also translate for you on a printout, but not on an Rx form.

Unlike optometrists, opthalmologists don't 'sell' glasses, so they don't normally add 'PD' (pupillary distance) on the Rx. They leave that to the optician who will be filling the Rx so they can properly measure the distance when they fit your frames and before filling your Rx.

The 'ADD 2.50' is the addition for reading strength for either bifocals or progressives.

If you're getting progressives, your lenses should have a minimum height of 35-38mm.

Many Ophthalmologists DO SELL glasses just not in their own office. Where I live their group bought an optometry group and so the optometrists work for the MD's and the MD's own the Optical Department.

Honored Contributor

I am trying to figure out why you went to both an ophthalmologist and an optometrist to get an eye exam - esp. since you say you have limited funds. What was wrong with the Rx you already had from the opthamologist? Waste of time, your and his, and money.

Valued Contributor

I too do not understand going to both optometrist and ophthalmologist. I see my ophthalmologist at least once a year. I do have friends who see both on a regular basis. It seems to me if you have a problem the optometrist is going to send you to the ophthalmologist. When I switched there was no difference in cost either for the basic service.

Super Contributor

I needed the high index lenses as well. Progressives are so expensive and I had researched a lot and saw Costco was supposed to be good and less expensive. I called around and they did have the cheapest progressives and then I went in an ordered a pair they have been great. If you have one near you, I highly recommend them. Just and FYI they did not do my eye exam. I have a local eye doctor I love but his glasses are just way too expensive.