Haven't shopped the Q in a good while. Is B Makowsky gone? Haven't seen him.

Regular Contributor

Don't miss him at all. He had gotten so hard sell it was annoying to even watch.Nothing against Judith Ripka but I think her prices make her Judith Ripoff!

Honored Contributor
There were many complaints on the quality of Makowsky bags. There was no customer service available if such issues arose. I, for one, refuse to pay $200+ for a handbag and have no CS to turn to if something goes wrong after I've had the bag a brief time. Bruce was very greedy, made his fortune, and now seems to have other interests. His handbag empire seems to have burned and crashed but I get the feeling he really doesn't care.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

The bags are still sold. The Makowski's sold their dynasty two years ago to a Chinese Corporation. I've seen Kathy on another channel. She may be still under contract to feature her items, but they belong to a Chinese Corp. now.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor
I had a B Mak bag I liked until all the color wore off the handles! Obviously his bags are not the best quality so I refuse to purchase any more. I don't miss him on the Q.
Regular Contributor

After hearing many, many of his presentations...probably for almost a year....listening to him and the hosts talking about how soft his leather was, I was on the verge of spending the big bucks he wants for one of his bags, but I decided to go to Dillard's to see one before I bought. I'm sooooo glad I did.....the feel of his leather is a far, far cry from what they lead one to believe!!! I've felt softer leather at Walmart and TJ Maxx!!!!

Honored Contributor

I tried one of his bags, the black dye on the underside of the shoulder strap left a black mark on my blouse. Back it went to the store (didn't buy it here). The leather was impressive, soft and buttery but I've never been a slouchy bag girl even with my stuff in separate zippered pouches so I never looked back. I maxed out on his presentations v e r y quickly, found him irritating and his manner of speech hard to follow so I stopped watching. Never bought another one.

I think that the "great slouch" in handbags is over as far as trends although many women love them and don't follow the trends, but the structured bag is back, the ones that you can carry by hand, put over your arm or over the shoulder. My personal favorite.

His little wife's bags were a major disappointment to me, again, I tried one and when I opened the box the stink of plastic and insecticide hit me like a ton of bricks. So bad that I didn't even totally unwrap it and admire it, I couldn't take the smell. Bought it off QVC, packed it back up and put it in the garage until I shipped it back. It probably would have aired out eventually, but I didn't think I should have to go to that trouble, besides I couldn't help thinking I was breathing in toxins. Can you imagine what the workers at the factory were breathing in? Insane.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I had a B Mak bag I liked until all the color wore off the handles! Obviously his bags are not the best quality so I refuse to purchase any more. I don't miss him on the Q.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

For that to happen, his leather was not drum dyed at the factory. That's why the dye came off on my blouse. There were a ton of us who complained about him not drum dying his leathers. I don't know if he eventually started to do this, I remember him saying that his leathers were drum dyed but that was quite a while after I had tried one of his bags.... so maybe he did add that extra expense in producing his bags. Too late as far as I'm concerned....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor
On 11/18/2013 DM Tiara said:

No - not gone - but over sold on the market. Even on the bay, prices for B Mak's are waaaay down, because of the saturation of the B Mak market. I have some beautiful NEW ones to sell and am researching current prices - even for very LOVELY handbags - and it's SCARY how LOW prices are on the bay, for "what the market will bear."

For fine handbags of this calibre to fall so low, is also, a direct reflection of the health care crisis in America. People are now afraid to spend on unnecessary items. So combine those factors with a totally saturated "B Mak" market - no wonder the shows have dwindled on the Q. People are more impressed with Peter Dooney's designs and products for the $$ as I am.

Love the pretty, B Mak's, but "reach for a Dooney." {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Just look at the marketing shows for Dooney Days at the Q .... Women/consumers, simply are very SMART in the long run, when it comes to best merchandise.

Best wishes! DM Tiara

It's a stretch to say that the apparent decline of the B. Mak line is a "direct reflection of the health care crisis."
Honored Contributor
On 1/20/2014 StuffyBug said:
On 11/18/2013 DM Tiara said:

No - not gone - but over sold on the market. Even on the bay, prices for B Mak's are waaaay down, because of the saturation of the B Mak market. I have some beautiful NEW ones to sell and am researching current prices - even for very LOVELY handbags - and it's SCARY how LOW prices are on the bay, for "what the market will bear."<br /> <br /> For fine handbags of this calibre to fall so low, is also, a direct reflection of the health care crisis in America. People are now afraid to spend on unnecessary items. So combine those factors with a totally saturated "B Mak" market - no wonder the shows have dwindled on the Q. People are more impressed with Peter Dooney's designs and products for the $$ as I am.<br /> <br /> Love the pretty, B Mak's, but "reach for a Dooney." {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Just look at the marketing shows for Dooney Days at the Q .... Women/consumers, simply are very SMART in the long run, when it comes to best merchandise.<br /> <br /> Best wishes! DM Tiara

It's a stretch to say that the apparent decline of the B. Mak line is a "direct reflection of the health care crisis."

Yeah, I agree ...... no real connection.