Better Than Black Friday
118 Members and 17759 Guests Online

WEN

Why is the back of my head itching?

Started 1334496009.977 in WEN | Last reply 1335672184.997 by kelsey 03

I've been an on and off user of Wen for years, but since Christmas I've been consistently on Wen. I'm experiencing something new, the back of my head itches like crazy, using any scent. (I bought the Xmas 5 flavor TSV) I sleep on my side, never my back, so I can't figure out what is going on. I tend towards dry scalp, but if that's the problem, why isn't it itching all over?

I had to put ing on that word to get it to post. Ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2
betteb1334496217.9416834 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

depglass, my experience with Wen was that it was ok in the begining and then the itching started followed by flaking, rash and hair loss.

I am happy for those who use it with no problems, but it sounds like you are in the begining or a reaction to it.

" An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind" Mahatma Gandhi

ByTheBay1334497175.5373896 PostsRegistered 1/3/2008
On 4/15/2012 betteb said:

depglass, my experience with Wen was that it was ok in the begining and then the itching started followed by flaking, rash and hair loss.

I am happy for those who use it with no problems, but it sounds like you are in the begining or a reaction to it.

Or you may be in the beginning stages of eczema or psoriasis? It wasn't WEN but, that's where my head began itching. Might want to check with a derm.

"Never be afraid to laugh at yourself. After all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century". Joan Rivers
R.I.P.

betteb1334497336.8816834 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz
On 4/15/2012 ByTheBay said:

Or you may be in the beginning stages of eczema or psoriasis? It wasn't WEN but, that's where my head began itching. Might want to check with a derm.

By all means, you should always check with a Dr. Just sharing my experience.

I Teach Too1334497739.86711790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.

I started having itching last fall. Then I had a problem with my ears and eye lids. I have developed seborrheic dermatitis. I have to use a medicated shampoo every other cleanse. When not using the medicated, I use WEN, and I have NO problems.

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

ByTheBay1334497751.8273896 PostsRegistered 1/3/2008

OT
betteb~ I love your John Adams quote{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}!!! I happened on another of your posts awhile back & wrote it down here on my desk blotter!!!

"Never be afraid to laugh at yourself. After all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century". Joan Rivers
R.I.P.

betteb1334498201.65716834 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

OT
betteb~ I love your John Adams quote{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}!!! I happened on another of your posts awhile back & wrote it down here on my desk blotter!!!

I fell in love with that quote too, when I saw it. John Adams was a smart guy, IMO{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

VaBelle351334498580.0179721 PostsRegistered 11/19/2004VA suburbs of Washington, DC
On 4/15/2012 depglass said:

I've been an on and off user of Wen for years, but since Christmas I've been consistently on Wen. I'm experiencing something new, the back of my head itches like crazy, using any scent. (I bought the Xmas 5 flavor TSV) I sleep on my side, never my back, so I can't figure out what is going on. I tend towards dry scalp, but if that's the problem, why isn't it itching all over?

I had to put ing on that word to get it to post. Ridiculous.

I had this problem with the Susan Lucci shampoo. There was an ingredient in it that I was allergic to and I had the worst itching on the crown of my head. I went to a derm and got something to cure the itching and had to switch shampoos to see if it went away (and it did).

Sometimes it's just one ingredient that does it, it may be something that is universal to all the scents.

QVC Shopper since 1993

ByTheBay1334498833.8133896 PostsRegistered 1/3/2008

OT

I fell in love with that quote too, when I saw it. John Adams was a smart guy, IMO{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

ITA{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}! HBO ran a series on his life, based on David McCullough's book, last July 4th. They may again. Fantastic!

http://www.hbo.com/john-adams/index.html

Depglass~ sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

R.I.P.

Kitty Galo­re1334499000.9231807 PostsRegistered 4/28/2009

When Wen first came to QVC I tried it and first of all it is a pain use, secondly I also had the terrible itching on my neck back and front, itching on my scalp plus it did nothing for my hair it just looked awful ! I had hair loss, and it took my highlights to another color...wasn't happy about that as I had just had them done and highlights aren't cheap ! Nothing could be done about that had to live with them until my next highlight was done. I also feel and this is MO that my hair never felt clean I missed the suds . Now use Pureology and love it , my hair loves it too !!

I know alot of you love your wen and I say to each there own, but in my case it was not a good for me.

Rochester ­Shopper1334503534.0474928 PostsRegistered 7/20/2011Michigan

I don't want to sound gross, but perhaps you may want to have someone check you for lice just to rule that out, too. I know, yuck! I know someone who got them from trying on clothes at a very high end store, and someone who got them while traveling, so it isn't just kids who get it. Sorry, I know it is icky to mention. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Last edited on 4/15/2012

Last edited on 4/15/2012

~Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.~
~My Grandma's motto: Is it nice, is it true, would you like it said of you?~

SAMMYR1334504046.82425 PostsRegistered 2/27/2009Southern California

The back of my head closer to the neck hairline itches when I use WEN. That being said, if I use the Tea Tree for my first wash and wash my scalp with that and the second with another scent and not wash the scalp everything is fine...Not sure why but it works for me.I usually use TT and Lav. I really do love WEN so I wanted to find a combination that wasn't irritating to my scalp.

Gogos1334505564.213650 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006California

OT<br /> <em>betteb</em>~ I <em>love</em> your John Adams quote{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}!!! I happened on another of your posts awhile back & wrote it down here on my desk blotter!!!

Did you see the HBO series with Laura Linney playing his wife. I'm a descendant of Adams. I couldn't help but cry to see all our Founders went throougha and seeing it distroyed now.

ITA{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}! HBO ran a series on his life, based on David McCullough's book, last July 4th. They may again. Fantastic!

http://www.hbo.com/john-adams/index.html

Depglass~ sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" John 14:6

Gogos1334505846.96650 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006California

oops I tried to reply in with the quote and replied in the middle of it. sorry me too don't want to hijack your thread.

On your question. We had a situation in or area where the water district placed some chemical in the water. Everytime I showered my head was itchy. I wasn't the only one. I went to our pharmacist and he said I was the second lady that day asking about it. Sometimes there is too much chlorine added if they have a problem. BUT I would see your docotor.

Egads I had to re-write the word I wanted to use and use itchy because the system thought I was trying to swear. QVC get it together talking about a scalp irritation is not a B word.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" John 14:6

Josea9221334528957.4174367 PostsRegistered 11/20/2006
On 4/15/2012 Rochester Shopper said:

I don't want to sound gross, but perhaps you may want to have someone check you for lice just to rule that out, too. I know, yuck! I know someone who got them from trying on clothes at a very high end store, and someone who got them while traveling, so it isn't just kids who get it. Sorry, I know it is icky to mention. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Last edited on 4/15/2012

I was going to suggest the same thing. Lice are rampant in the schools. We are constantly getting letters sent home warning parents about another lice outbreak. Apparently there is one family in town with several kids who can't seem to get rid of it. Lice do like to hang out on the lower back of the head.

breakroom1334530448.552885 PostsRegistered 4/15/2012
My gut reaction to this post was, "head lice", because I'm a retired educator who spent my first years in lower elementary. I'm hoping it isn't lice. Please have your scalp checked. Lice lay their eggs (nits) around the nape of the neck and behind the ears. Only the louse can be destroyed - not the eggs. Therefore, get your pharmic's recommendation on a treatment if you find you have this. Also, a lot of my gal pals had itchy scalps during menopause, but I'm not sure of your age. I hope you find a solution soon!

depglass1334539674.98324307 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I'm past menopause, have no kids in the state, have well water, and rarely try things on in stores. I think I'll just discontinue the Wen for awhile before running to the doctor. I just had my physical and didn't think to mention this because I was thinking it might be the Wen. I just dread going back to straw hair.

PBJ1334539973.0036822 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

It could be the WEN. I had an allergic reaction to WEN and my scalp itched like crazy.

I used it when it first came on QVC, no issues. Starting using it last year and had a reaction. Tried it again and so far I'm doing ok. Itching not as severe.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Momof3resc­uetzus1334540560.433268 PostsRegistered 10/8/2010

I have that with Wen from time to time. I just rinse better, or use a regular shampoo. I have to say, when I use regular shampoo, my hair looks bad. Pom seems to be the scent for me.

SoonerRob1334591722.713 PostsRegistered 10/12/2011
On 4/15/2012 SAMMYR said:

The back of my head closer to the neck hairline itches when I use WEN. That being said, if I use the Tea Tree for my first wash and wash my scalp with that and the second with another scent and not wash the scalp everything is fine...Not sure why but it works for me.I usually use TT and Lav. I really do love WEN so I wanted to find a combination that wasn't irritating to my scalp.

I do this exact same thing. And I have the same itching. But I didn't really get the itching and irritation on my neck line until the Winter Vanilla Mint came out. I love that scent and what it does for my hair, but even using the TT for my scalp, the WVM still left the irritation. Back to TT and Pom, and some 613. I used Gardenia yesterday for the first time, and I'm still trying to decide if it irritated me, or if I'm now a hypochondriac.

{#emotions_dlg.angry} b/c ixnay on the WVM.

Robin

SAMMYR1334596243.167425 PostsRegistered 2/27/2009Southern California
On 4/16/2012 SoonerRob said:
On 4/15/2012 SAMMYR said:

I do this exact same thing. And I have the same itching. But I didn't really get the itching and irritation on my neck line until the Winter Vanilla Mint came out. I love that scent and what it does for my hair, but even using the TT for my scalp, the WVM still left the irritation. Back to TT and Pom, and some 613. I used Gardenia yesterday for the first time, and I'm still trying to decide if it irritated me, or if I'm now a hypochondriac.

{#emotions_dlg.angry} b/c ixnay on the WVM.

Robin

Robin....

I have noticed that the soy based CC's tend to cause the itchiness for me...First happened with the WVM..Not sure about the Gardenia yet.Hoping the TT in it might compensate.

kal1334598575.222454 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007
On 4/15/2012 I Teach Too said:

I started having itching last fall. Then I had a problem with my ears and eye lids. I have developed seborrheic dermatitis. I have to use a medicated shampoo every other cleanse. When not using the medicated, I use WEN, and I have NO problems.

Bummer. I had that when I was a child along with exzema.

thecookofd­eath1334603209.3291 PostsRegistered 11/20/2005Poconos

I know this sounds funny but you can google it and also see it on youtube. I had itchy scalp most of my adult life. It hit before WEN so I can't blame on that. One day I was playing around online and tripped over "monistat for hair loss" huh? So I watched it. It was not only very informative but it worked like a miracle for me. My head stopped itching immediately and hasn't itched since. I am also losing less hair. I rub the monistat cream on my fingertips and massage it into my scalp every other night. It has no scent and I don't even have to wash it out the next morning. It just sort of disappears. There is some really good research available online about it and it seems to be one of those beauty secrets that I was the last to know about, lol.

Some people are like a slinky, not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

A Walker1334604502.9631236 PostsRegistered 1/4/2011

No that doesn't sound funny! Depglass, if you are experiencing a sweaty head or are more warm now with the spring weather, this could be a sign of a fungal/yeast overgrowth in that area. Just as it can overgrow in armpits, under the breast, etc., the back part of your head is susceptible. Monistat treats fungal infections, so does Lotrimin, and that's also why anti-fungal shampoos are so popular. It also doesn't have to affect your entire head because you are getting more circulation on the top of your head/air exposure. The affected area would be pink or a little reddened, and it will be itchy when you're warm. Obviously a doctor is your best bet since it could also be folliculitis (bacterial or fungal), but I wanted to hop on here because the Monistat was right on track with a fungal infection.

ETA: If you feel you have a little bit of a fungal overgrowth, if you have TT oil, apply some of that day and/or night to the affected area, which helps me when I get itchy. If you have the TT CC, after shampooing and when applying styling cream/whatever you use, apply a dab of that to the scalp and massage in. I need to periodically do this to that area because we walk/hike 3-5 miles on a daily basis and my head gets sweaty in that area and takes longer to cool down. It happens to me in the dead of summer because it's so warm and humid.

Last edited on 4/16/2012

Last edited on 4/16/2012

wvlawmom1335044349.30370 PostsRegistered 3/12/2011West By God

Within the last month I just figured out that WEN was what had caused my hair to thin considerably. I did not want to believe it as I was a faithful user. I used all of the types, bought the gallon POM, seasonals and 613. My hair was getting thinner and thinner. All over my house, the shower, drain clogged all of the time. My husband commented that he was going to be married to a bald lady because of the hair he was cleaning out of the shower. I had had blood work in the recent past, no health problems, etc. My hair dresser commented on the large amount coming out when she washed my hair. Had to constantly clean the brush on my Dyson. I had great hair, BEFORE Wen. It all of a sudden hit me one day that there could be no other reason. I had never seen all of this stuff online. Out of curiousity I googled the issue and could not believe it. Just to see if it could really be true I quit using the Wen a month ago and low and behold, it stopped. I have only picked up a little hair in the shower one time in a month. My hair feels and looks better. Hopefully, it will get thicker again in time. I never had the itching but just venting because I am still in shock I guess.

If only I knew right now what I knew back then.

Pagan1335044631.6471127 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008
I hope the Wen isn't causing hair loss. It's common for an itchy scalp to be the other unpleasant side effect of hair thinning. Most hair loss suffers are plagued by an irritated scalp.

Page 1 of 2