Dooney & Bourke
40 Members and 17442 Guests Online

WEN

Hair loss - Is this just in the beginning?

Started 1315959687.833 in WEN | Last reply 1318315887.943 by Trishthedish

I'm so bummed! The first day I used Wen hair filled the drain -straight Pom, second day about half full -1/2 Pom; 1/2 Sweet Almond. The day before Wen with Paul Mitchell no hair in the drain but hairs on wide tooth comb. The only difference between the day with no hair in the drain and hair in the drain was Wen. Hair is even on my shirt and it is long strands up to the root tip. You can actually feel the root tip.

Does this just happen in the beginning? Or am I an unlucky one that can't use Wen products. I really like the concept and the way my hair feels. I don't have the heavy feeling that some get and I love the shine. I have fine hair and don't want to continue with a large amounts coming out. Anyone have this happen in the beginning and get better. May-be I just can't do the extracts that are in the products. Anyway, I'm really bummed that this may be a bust :(

Please let me know.

Page 1 of 2
betteb1315961216.20316998 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz

laurielynn I'm sorry but this is how my experience with Wen went. After a couple of weeks I developed a sore, itchy, flaky scalp and the hair loss excelerated. I had to stop using. I was disapointed, because I wanted to like it. :(

Some ladies love it and do just fine. It is just an example of not everything is for everyone.

I had switched to Ojon and loved it...until they changed the formulas :(

I am now using Lea Journo conditioner that I got in the Beauty Test Tube. I really love it and ordered the Shampoo/ Conditioner Duo from QVC. It's not here yet but I hope I love the shampoo too.

Welcome to the boards :). There are lots of nice ladies here. Just ignore the few who aren't and you will be fine :)

Just because you can say it, doesn't mean you should.

Sandgirl1315961665.2037358 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

This happened to me UNTIL I stopped using the combo in the shower - My hairdressor said DO NOT COMB IN THE SHOWER.....I stopped - I just use my fingers and comb thru but NOT tug at all, I keep adding water as I "wash" - then let it sit for 3-5min and RINSE WELL

If you want to give it another chance - try it without combing in the shower and see what happens. ALso, how does your scalp feel? If it's irritated I'm not sure I would cont. if I were you.

laurielynn1315963272.7974 PostsRegistered 9/13/2011

Thanks Betteb and Sandgirl:

I too wanted this to work for me. I will try the no comb and see what happens tomorrow. My scalp doesn't really feel irritated. I will try again tomorrow hopefully I will not get the irritated red scalp. Bummer about Ojon changing there formulas ~ I swear the things us ladies go through for beauty! :)

I'll let you know tomorrow too.

Sandgirl1315964577.827358 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 9/13/2011 laurielynn said:

Thanks Betteb and Sandgirl:

I too wanted this to work for me. I will try the no comb and see what happens tomorrow. My scalp doesn't really feel irritated. I will try again tomorrow hopefully I will not get the irritated red scalp. Bummer about Ojon changing there formulas ~ I swear the things us ladies go through for beauty! :)

I'll let you know tomorrow too.

GOOD LUCK

I still have some old Ojon Restorative treatment, I have been using a tab bit on my scalp each night, my scalp has been feeling really good while doing this, sooo upset they changed the formula!

ValentinaB­on1315964874.86934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011
On 9/13/2011 betteb said:

laurielynn I'm sorry but this is how my experience with Wen went. After a couple of weeks I developed a sore, itchy, flaky scalp and the hair loss excelerated. I had to stop using. I was disapointed, because I wanted to like it. :(

Some ladies love it and do just fine. It is just an example of not everything is for everyone.

I had switched to Ojon and loved it...until they changed the formulas :(

I am now using Lea Journo conditioner that I got in the Beauty Test Tube. I really love it and ordered the Shampoo/ Conditioner Duo from QVC. It's not here yet but I hope I love the shampoo too.

Welcome to the boards :). There are lots of nice ladies here. Just ignore the few who aren't and you will be fine :)

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

betteb and Sandgirl gave you some good advice/info. I would try without the comb and if you are still having this issue, then maybe WEN is just not for you because, like betteb said, not everything works for everyone. Good luck!

DUH....WENing! :)

shoptillId­rop1315964875.1539405 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan

Hi laurielyn, I'm sorry you're having some hair loss concerns{#emotions_dlg.sad}. Keep us posted on how you do tomorrow, okay? I hope it works out for you.

This may not be any consolation to you, but I lose hair every time I cleanse, which is every other day. I've always lost hair even using regular shampoo. It's normal for me. But, if it's not normal for you, then it is something to pay attention to. Let us know how you do tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed for youSmile

I tried being patient but it took too long.

shoptillId­rop1315965084.099405 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan

...oh, and welcome to the WEN forum, laurielyn. You'll find so many wonderful WEN gals here, and even if WEN doesn't work for you, stick around, it's a WENderful group of friends. Okay, a little sappy I know, but I couldn't resist{#emotions_dlg.lol}...

I tried being patient but it took too long.

GothiKim1315967200.533213 PostsRegistered 5/6/2008Richmond TX (outside Houston)

Welcome, laurielynn!

We all lose hair everyday. Up to 100 hairs a day is considered normal. The hairs shed in the normal growth cycle will often have roots on them, so that's not abnormal for you to be seeing. Do you have a good idea of how much hairfall you have on a daily basis?

Get one of those cheap little plastic screens for the drain, so that you can 1) keep an eye on exactly how many hairs are falling out in the shower and 2) keep that hair out of the drain! Monitor your brush too, to get an idea of the daily total. Hopefully you're not losing more than your usual amount. If so, you may have a sensitivity or allergy to something in Wen (wheat? soy? chamomile?)

Since starting Wen, I lose most of my daily hairfall (about 50 on average) in the shower, but very few show up in my hairbrush. I think it's the scalp massage and extra rinsing that loosens the ones that would be shedding naturally during the day. The total amount is not more than I was losing before, so I'm not stressed.

BTW, I don't use the comb in the shower either, mostly out of laziness. I love the Wen comb out of the shower, though!

Let us know how it's going in a couple of days.

Last edited on 9/13/2011

Last edited on 9/13/2011

Kim******Peace, love, and Twilight

sharibel1316002502.4372 PostsRegistered 7/24/2011

Hi laurielynn,

There are a lot of threads about hair loss and scalp/skin reactions with Wen. I experienced significant hair loss. I ruled out every other possible cause for the hair loss that I could, including health issues. I used 40 pumps of Tea Tree and Sweet Almond Mint, combed in the shower, and the comb glided through my hair like "buttah." So the comb was not pulling my hair out. I have healthy hair that is in excellent condition, so I know it wasn't breakage. I was also able to feel the root tips on the hairs that came out. The hair loss did not slow down during the rest of the day. Don't be so bummed! My shampoo worked just as well, and I had my lather and delicious smell back! (which I did miss with Wen). Also, there are other threads where people have raved about other shampoos (I know Lea Journo is one), so there's a big selection out there! Smile

Zoologist1316002611.986034 PostsRegistered 9/3/2010

How many gals here have posted that WEN causes extreme hair loss yet people still buy this stuff???????????

running sh­elby1316003627.321955 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

I think if you are concerned you should stop using WEN. Hard to know from your description.

Hair loss can be a seasonal thing. I tend to lose hair in late summer early fall....lots of it. I have long fine hair so 100 strands a day is a lot of hair. As always there are too many variables for hair loss and thousands of potential causes.

If you think it is WEN then discontinue use.

puglet11316004906.871702 PostsRegistered 3/31/2011
On 9/14/2011 Zoologist said:

How many gals here have posted that WEN causes extreme hair loss yet people still buy this stuff???????????

Hi Zoologist,

I've been a Q customer for 15 years, but never came to these boards (actually wasn't even aware of them {#emotions_dlg.blush}) until after I realized my hair loss from Wen, so that's MY excuse, lol!

Laurielynn, I used Wen for about 6 months before I noticed the hair loss by the widening parts all over my head and a couple of dime sized bald spots. I knew I was losing more hair than usual all along the way, but then I have long hair and a ton of it, so I just figured it was being replaced by new hair! Like Sharibel and others, I went to 3 docs to rule out any health issues. I'm in excellent health, don't have any medical issues, not on any meds, air-dry my hair, and don't use any styling products. As soon as I stopped using Wen, my hair loss dramatically decreased. There are a lot of people who have suffered reactions from Wen. I'm back to Pantene and the results are just as good for me.

lovetosing1316005442.4976147 PostsRegistered 4/3/2006

I would say use with caution!!!! I had to stop my daughter from using it because of hair loss. I posted on Wen's Facebook my concerns about what happened to my daughter's hair, noone answered. All of a sudden I received some comments in my message box on Facebook from people I am not friends with telling me they saw my comment and that they had the same problem and don't know how people can still use it. I told them that so far I use it for myself and so far am okay with it, I only use it as a leave in conditioner though, but am keeping an eye on it. I also told them to leave a comment on the Wen Facebook page and let them know. The more they know the more they will look into it. I think, and this is just my own opinion, is that it is probably one of two things...either the conditioner is clogging the pores or there is some kind of allergic reaction to the menthol in it.

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

In the end everything will be okay, if it is not it is not the end - Jason Castro

donasmom1316005793.9273098 PostsRegistered 4/21/2006

Mine was more gradual. Started using wen in October 2010 with no bad effects. This past haircut, my stylist mentioned to me hairloss in the front, from bangs to crown. Went to the derm, she told me to stop using wen, start taking oral Biotin. Hormone and other levels are well within normal limits. Gave all my wen to my good friend, also a stylist, who has been using wen with great success - and no hair loss.

Formally vicosmom

puglet11316010505.091702 PostsRegistered 3/31/2011
On 9/14/2011 lovetosing said:

I would say use with caution!!!! I had to stop my daughter from using it because of hair loss. I posted on Wen's Facebook my concerns about what happened to my daughter's hair, noone answered. All of a sudden I received some comments in my message box on Facebook from people I am not friends with telling me they saw my comment and that they had the same problem and don't know how people can still use it. I told them that so far I use it for myself and so far am okay with it, I only use it as a leave in conditioner though, but am keeping an eye on it. I also told them to leave a comment on the Wen Facebook page and let them know. The more they know the more they will look into it. I think, and this is just my own opinion, is that it is probably one of two things...either the conditioner is clogging the pores or there is some kind of allergic reaction to the menthol in it.

Hi lovetosing,

Try writing to customerservice@chazdean.com. I received a response, which I outlined in the thread ("For Those of You Who Have Experienced Hair Loss . . With Wen" ):

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Beauty-Banter/topic/219857/PostID/4358516/re-for-those-of-you-who-have-experienced-hair-loss-or-other-reactions-with-wen.aspx#4358516

I urge everyone who has had a negative reaction to Wen to write. As you said, the more they know, the more likely they are to look into it. Smile

shoptillId­rop1316011127.4739405 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan
On 9/14/2011 barc said:

Hi lovetosing,

Try writing to customerservice@chazdean.com. I received a response, which I outlined in the thread ("For Those of You Who Have Experienced Hair Loss . . With Wen" ):

http://community.qvc.com/forums/Beauty-Banter/topic/219857/PostID/4358516/re-for-those-of-you-who-have-experienced-hair-loss-or-other-reactions-with-wen.aspx#4358516

I urge everyone who has had a negative reaction to Wen to write. As you said, the more they know, the more likely they are to look into it. Smile

...and I agree! We'll ALL benefit from this.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I tried being patient but it took too long.

millieshops1316011574.55715528 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 9/13/2011 Sandgirl said:

This happened to me UNTIL I stopped using the combo in the shower - My hairdressor said DO NOT COMB IN THE SHOWER.....I stopped - I just use my fingers and comb thru but NOT tug at all, I keep adding water as I "wash" - then let it sit for 3-5min and RINSE WELL

If you want to give it another chance - try it without combing in the shower and see what happens. ALso, how does your scalp feel? If it's irritated I'm not sure I would cont. if I were you.

This is exactly the procedure I've used with WEN from day 1, and my hair is healthier than it's ever been after almost 2 years of WEN. That's great because I'm at an age when many of us lose hair (and teeth and height and everything else) anyway.

If I'd lost handsful with my first bottle of WEN, there wouldn't have been more. I know sometimes there are allergies and you just have to move on. I've passed on lots of shampoos over the years when the first few washes didn't work for me.

GoodStuff1316012966.77315729 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Another distressing WEN story. I wouldn't put this stuff on my head if somebody paid me!!

{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Last edited on 9/14/2011

KweenB1316018182.5032199 PostsRegistered 11/27/2010

Just google "hair loss from Suave" - it will scare you too.

sharlee1316021629.533988 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006
On 9/14/2011 Zoologist said:

How many gals here have posted that WEN causes extreme hair loss yet people still buy this stuff???????????

Because there are hundreds of thousands of us for whom it works beautifully.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Yuko1316022039.7231807 PostsRegistered 8/30/2005
On 9/13/2011 Sandgirl said:

This happened to me UNTIL I stopped using the combo in the shower - My hairdressor said DO NOT COMB IN THE SHOWER.....I stopped - I just use my fingers and comb thru but NOT tug at all, I keep adding water as I "wash" - then let it sit for 3-5min and RINSE WELL

If you want to give it another chance - try it without combing in the shower and see what happens. ALso, how does your scalp feel? If it's irritated I'm not sure I would cont. if I were you.

Great advice!

Personally, I've never experienced what you are experiencing with WEN but I know others have.

I've always lost some hair when washing no matter what I used. The only difference with WEN is that it made my hair so healthy and beautiful (not to mention I still have full head of hair).

shoptillId­rop1316022623.659405 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan

laurielyn....how did you do today?

I tried being patient but it took too long.

laurielynn1316048094.374 PostsRegistered 9/13/2011

Thanks Everyone for the great info! I sent my Wen back today. I woke up in the middle of the night with my scalp itching and redness around my hairline. I used my Paul Mitchell and Pureology today and only about 10 strands and none on the comb or brush. I have one of those hair catchers for the drains as I have goldens that I bathe -talk about hair loss! I guess I didn't win with Wen - Ha. I must be allergic to one of the extracts. It must just be too strong for me.

I called the company and they read me a statement about hair growth. I understand about the hair growth process as I studied that in my career. I don't know of a product that works the same on every individual. Not all antibiotics or medical treatments work or even perfume is for everyone - that is what makes us unique individuals! I did let the company know that I hope they will further research their extracts used to cleanse; my guess is that one of those is the irritant and if they figure it out and remove it then I would probably try again.

Good Luck and Happy Hair to all those that Wen works for!

Cheryl A S­ophie1316052908.767954 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007
On 9/14/2011 sharlee said:
On 9/14/2011 Zoologist said:

How many gals here have posted that WEN causes extreme hair loss yet people still buy this stuff???????????

Because there are hundreds of thousands of us for whom it works beautifully.

Sharlee I was going to say that too, have been using just Wen CC since Chaz started on the Q. Hair has always been fine but is less so, my mom also uses it, and we lve all his products, all we don't use are his candles and bath salts.

Ban the Deed not the Breed.
Spay and Neuter your pet

frisky_fil­ly1316055164.997883 PostsRegistered 12/7/2005

Oh my gosh! Thank you girls for sharing all of your hair loss experiences. I have been deal with heavy hair shedding/thinning for about 4 years now, and I have been devastated by it to say the least. I thought WEN would be GOOD for my hair...thank you SO much for helping me to dodge a potential bullet that might have made my hair loss worse. Yikes! I would be so thrilled to have even half the hair I had 10 years ago...this is NOT what I expected to be a part of the aging process for a woman for Pete's sake. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} A few grey hairs and a wrinkle here and there to Botox away (LO!), yes, but going bald...uhmm, NO!

Page 1 of 2