Fashion & Accessories Clearance
61 Members and 13688 Guests Online

WEN

So sad, I must be allergic to lavender, at least

Started 1315797862.76 in WEN | Last reply 1316105491.73 by eyeluvbe

I used lavender CC the first morning after I got the TSV package, ginger pumpkin the second day, and lavender this morning again, and my scalp is red this evening, has some welts, and some weepy itchy spots. The rest of my scalp is a little crusty. I looked through the ingredients, and sadly, there are several common ones with the pomegranate CC I have coming as my second TSV order. I'll have to shampoo with my former shampoo for a week or more for my scalp to calm down before I dare try the other formula, and I'm a little scared to, this allergic reaction is very unpleasant and I don't want to go through it again. Has anyone else ever had a reaction like this to one formula but been okay with others? I avoided any formulas that had hydrolyzed wheat protein in them, since I know I get contat dermatitis from that, but something in the lavender formula is doing the same thing to my scalp. I am so sad, I was so hoping to have found something better than shampoo for my hair, but Wen may not be it after all.

Page 1 of 1
Missy8231315807036.863594 PostsRegistered 4/23/2011New York City

All the CC's except for Promgranate are wheat based, thats why you had the allergic reaction to the lavender.

I think the ginger pumpkin and 613 don't have wheat in them too (someone please confirm that for me).

Edit: Okay, just checked the WEN website, 613 and the ginger pumpkin don't have wheat in them. So you should be fine with these, unless their are other ingredients that are in all the CC's that you are allergic too.

Last edited on 9/12/2011

Last edited on 9/12/2011

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”
― Jorge Luis Borges

Bella HS1315807550.9478076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

Hi Camille....Sad to hear you're not doing well. Lavender is an essential oil which is actually very irritating in general although most of the irritation is usually under the layers of the skin/scalp. The fact that you actually have this noticeable and painful reaction could be an a lavender allergy but you used both scents so closely together I would think it would be hard to determine. Have you ever had this reaction to lavender before?

My guess is you are having a reaction to the menthol that is in the Wen products. I'm no longer a Wen user but if you want to try to continue then heal up your scalp and only use one scent to determine if it's the lavender or the menthol....sounds like menthol to me but I'm not sure if menthol is in the newly released scents but all the others contain menthol and many people have had problems with it. You definitely sound like a possible candidate for issues that many others have encountered (loss of hair) and symptoms just as you described. You may want to quit while you're ahead. There is nothing wrong with regular shampoo (check for one with lower sulfates if you think "shampoo" is bad. If you've been using shampoo all your life why have you determined that it is no longer good? I'm thrilled with the results of my Loreal Vive Pro and Garnier Fructis. My hair looks better than ever switching back. If you're so against using shampoo then just use a regular conditioner to cleanse your hair and keep the shampoo portion to 3x a week.

Not being a Wen user any longer I responded because we "know" each other not to bash Wen.....

Last edited on 9/12/2011

Last edited on 9/12/2011

KweenB1315830358.9732146 PostsRegistered 11/27/2010

CamilleP,

The Lavender DOES contain the wheat protein (see ingredients below). Do not use it since you know you are allergic to it. The only ones that currently have soy protein instead of the wheat are the Pomegranate, 613, and the new Pumpkin.

Ingredients
Water, Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Lavender Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Lavender Oil, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Witch Hazel, Ceteareth-20, Sweet Almon Oil, Menthol, Avocado Oil, PEG-60, Almond Glycerides, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid

shoptillId­rop1315830561.4839399 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan

Hi Camille, you're getting great advice here, I can't add anything more other than I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I tried being patient but it took too long.

ValentinaB­on1315842323.7676934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011
On 9/12/2011 KweenB said:

CamilleP,

The Lavender DOES contain the wheat protein (see ingredients below). Do not use it since you know you are allergic to it. The only ones that currently have soy protein instead of the wheat are the Pomegranate, 613, and the new Pumpkin.

Ingredients
Water, Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Lavender Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Chamomile Extract, Marigold Flower Extract, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Amodimethicone, Lavender Oil, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Witch Hazel, Ceteareth-20, Sweet Almon Oil, Menthol, Avocado Oil, PEG-60, Almond Glycerides, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid

KweenB is spot on! If you know you are allergic to Hydrolyzed wheat protein, than that is probably what you are reacting to! So sorry you are having the reaction! Be very careful in whatever you use (shampoos and conditioners) because I've noticed many of them contain this. Take care!

DUH....WENing! :)

CamilleP1315843409.5833344 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon

Thank you, Bella, I also suspected the menthol, but one ingredient list for the lavender formula did not show it as an ingredient. I certainly got the "menthol sensation" when using it.

I only tried Wen because Pantene has discontinued it's clarifying formula, which is free of all dyes and fragrances, and which I've used for many years with no problems. My fall back formula is Pantene's new clear formula, but it doesn't clean my oily scalp quite as well as the old clarifying shampoo. I can work with it, though, I may have to do a double wash, and use a lighter formula of conditoner, but I'll make it work, since Wen has too many botanical extracts, one of which is apt to set my scalp off, no matter which formula I use.

CamilleP1315843909.0773344 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon

KweenB, thank you for that more extensive ingredient list. The short list I saw on a comparison chart did not list it. However, there are so many different botanicals in Chaz's formulas I suspect I'll have trouble with them all. Chamomile and marigold are often quite allergenic, for instance. I'm not sure I want to risk trying all the different formulas.

GothiKim1315861627.267213 PostsRegistered 5/6/2008Richmond TX (outside Houston)
On 9/12/2011 CamilleP said:

KweenB, thank you for that more extensive ingredient list. The short list I saw on a comparison chart did not list it. However, there are so many different botanicals in Chaz's formulas I suspect I'll have trouble with them all. Chamomile and marigold are often quite allergenic, for instance. I'm not sure I want to risk trying all the different formulas.

CamilleP, I sure hope your scalp heals up quickly. That sloppy incomplete "comparison chart" is inexcusable, IMO. If (when?) you return the TSV, PLEASE be sure to call customer service and tell them that their chart is incomplete, which led to your wheat allergy reaction. Oh, and the Q should certainly pick up the tab for the return shipping! This exact situation is why the Q should always disclose full ingredient lists for beauty products, in an easy-to-find format. I've emailed CS re: the ingredient disclosure issue on multiple occasions; maybe if enough of us complain, something will be done.

Chamomile and marigold are related to ragweed, IIRC, so if you are allergic to ragweed, you could crossreact. When in doubt, check out the Wen studio website for complete ingredient lists of each product: www.chazdeanstudio.com.

As noted above, the Ginger Pumpkin is wheat- and gluten-free, so you MIGHT be able to use it (and/or Pomegranate or 613), but I'd sure patch-test on the arm first as a precaution. I'm paranoid like that, because I'm a bundle of environmental allergies meself!

Kim******Peace, love, and Twilight

CamilleP1315884589.0273344 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon

Thank you, Gothikim, I will call CS before mailing back the Lavender TSV. I will also visit Chaz's website directly to compare complete ingredient lists, since I've already packed up the lavendar and don't want to take it apart to compare it and pomegranate. I got the pomegranate today, but my skin is still too itchy to even contemplate trying it out, I'll have to wait several more days.

Thanks to everyone, I really appreciate everyone's help!

arrianna1315885262.0535072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010

Stick to formulas for sensitive skin.

eyeluvbe1316023385.821260 PostsRegistered 8/13/2007

Several years ago my mom and I tried the Tea Tree, we both got water-filled blisters in one use of the product. We are not allergic to wheat, the derm said it was probably the tea tree essential oil and the menthol that caused our particular reactions (not saying that is what causes everyone's reactions).

ETA: I have just discovered that he also uses 2 preservatives that are known together as Kathon CG (the methylo ones at the end of the label). Kathon CG is not recommended for leave-in products due to sensitizing issues for skin and scalp. This concerns me personally because my mom has ordered the TSV in POM thinking it would be different from the Tea Tree, so fingers crossed that we don't have any problems.

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

ValentinaB­on1316024931.6176934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011
On 9/14/2011 eyeluvbe said:

Several years ago my mom and I tried the Tea Tree, we both got water-filled blisters in one use of the product. We are not allergic to wheat, the derm said it was probably the tea tree essential oil and the menthol that caused our particular reactions (not saying that is what causes everyone's reactions).

ETA: I have just discovered that he also uses 2 preservatives that are known together as Kathon CG (the methylo ones at the end of the label). Kathon CG is not recommended for leave-in products due to sensitizing issues for skin and scalp. This concerns me personally because my mom has ordered the TSV in POM thinking it would be different from the Tea Tree, so fingers crossed that we don't have any problems.

Last edited on 9/14/2011

I replied on your other post about this but just in case you don't see the other one:

BTW, many (natural) shampoos, conditioners AND body washes use these two ingredients, including Suave's natural shampoos, conditioners and BODY washes, so if you are allergic to them, please make sure to read the ingredients in of anything you are considering because they are used quite often.

DUH....WENing! :)

eyeluvbe1316028239.1031260 PostsRegistered 8/13/2007

Thanks for the information ValentinaBon. I have to be extra vigilent nowadays. I have used a product for years called Naked Naturals. It had no DEA (which Chaz's has), no TEA, MEA, or any sulfates and no Kathon CG. However, the company ceased production this past year (I can find some remaining product on certain websites, but the company's own site no longer exists and the retailers I used to buy from no longer carry it). So, I was tip-toeing in with the WEN since Chaz talked about organic aloe and other things. Now I just have to get back into the habit of extra-careful label reading.

GothiKim1316036798.45213 PostsRegistered 5/6/2008Richmond TX (outside Houston)
On 9/14/2011 eyeluvbe said:

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Wen cleansing conditioners aren't leave-in products, if used according to Wen instructions. They aren't meant to be left on the scalp, just on the mid-length down, and even that's optional. That said, anyone with a diagnosed sensitivity to the two methyliso... preservatives should avoid them! The only Wen products designed to be left on the scalp for a long time are the oils, Re moist, and the volumizing treatment spray. Of those three, Re moist does contain methylisothiazolinone (hmmm).

Eyeluvbe, did your derm do any allergy testing for you, or refer you to an allergist after your Wen trea tree reaction? It's one thing for a dermatologist to assume that it's tea tree oil and/or menthol that caused the problem, but there are other ingredients that could've caused the reaction you had. There's an allergy test panel especially designed for cosmetic-type products, which probably wouldn't cover the tea tree, but would cover a lot of other potential allergens. An allergist could always challenge test you for tea tree oil and menthol alongside the cosmetics panel. That's how I uncovered my problem with potassium sorbate/sorbic acid (a "green" preservative)--the cosmetics panel and challenge testing. The testing wasn't fun or pleasant, but it was SO worth it. If I didn't know exactly what I was having a problem with, every hair/skin care product and every food I brought into the house would be a roll of the dice for me...

Even if Wen Pom doesn't work out for you, eyeluvbe, I hope you find a new line that suits your needs and wants. Until I got sensitized to potassium sorbate, I was using hair and skin care lines similar to what you were using. I was trying to do the green low-impact thing, but it bit me in the rear :) Have you checked out the Jason Fragrance Free products? I haven't used the line for a while (contains my arch-nemesis preservative), but IIRC, it was a pretty good product line with relatively few synthetic chemicals...

Kim******Peace, love, and Twilight

eyeluvbe1316105491.71260 PostsRegistered 8/13/2007

Thanks for the suggestions GothiKim. I'll keep them in mind if I don't have success with WEN. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1