TSV(R) Preview
134 Members and 11517 Guests Online

WEN

WEN..common sense...it doesn't cause hair loss!

Started 1313556183.783 in WEN | Last reply 1337795897.357 by mac1319

Sorry, how could it? We have 14 days of hair growth under our scalps. Nothing is going to get in there and damage our hair follicles, certainly not WEN. Seriously!

Maybe some of you are experiencing normal hair loss and you jump on the bandwagon, but it can't be from WEN.

Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 4 ...7Next
RACALAMB21313558588.807384 PostsRegistered 4/20/2007

Common sense???

How about REALITY ....My hair fell out and my scalp itched and hurt! And it clogged my shower drain..

Silly me tried his product twice with the same results!

Besides-You should never put conditioner on your scalp it clogs the hair follicle.

RACA

Grandmaof61313575844.8139 PostsRegistered 8/17/2011

You better believe it causes hair loss. I tried Wen for over a month. While using it, my hair felt "soft", so I would run my fingers through it. EVERY time I did that, I had hair between each finger. Also, my hand felt like it had a coating of lotion on it. My bathroom floor was covered in hair. My drain stopper was full of hair. Now that I have stopped using Wen, I can run my fingers through my hair in the exact same say, and not one hair comes out. My drain stopper is no longer full of hair. Wen also stripped my haircolor like I have never seen before. My medium brown haircolor turned into a brassy light brown. I have a whole gallon, does anyone want to buy it?

Helen k1313578023.723474 PostsRegistered 5/9/2005

Well, I wouldn't take Nick Chavez' word for it about conditioner on the scalp clogging the hair follicle. He's selling his own line. We all use conditioners and c'mon, you telling me it doesn't ever get on the scalp when you put it on your hair? Besides, you rinse it off and you massage your scalp when you're cleansing and conditioning anyway, right? So that should get it off your scalp. Wen could be causing hair loss, however, all the manipulating of your hair with your hands which is necessary with Wen and other cleansing conditioners will also cause a lot of shedding in the shower. Just sayin'.

Last edited on 8/17/2011

Last edited on 8/17/2011

Last edited on 8/17/2011

sharibel1313579738.577372 PostsRegistered 7/24/2011

Apparently, I chose the wrong thread to comment, LOL!

Last edited on 8/17/2011

Last edited on 8/17/2011

Peaches Mc­Phee1313580526.9571657 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Grace, common sense says that something must be causing the hairloss. Why not the stuff you are putting on your hair. WEN can cause hair loss the same as anything could.

Pro-aging.

graceupong­race1313590504.527453 PostsRegistered 8/6/2010

Common sense is that some hair loss is normal, we all lose hair every day, right? Chemo causes hair loss on or about the 14th day after a treatment, hormones or something internal can do that. Wen, something external isn't going to do that. Even if it Wen was dirt, and "clogged up your hair follicles", your hair won't fall out from being dirty. What is "clogged up your hair follicles"? That doesn't make any sense! LOL!

vermint1313591518.1771436 PostsRegistered 9/5/2007Southeast USA

Grace, are you a "hair expert"? COMMON SENSE tells me that a lot of these ladies are experiencing MAJOR hair loss after using Wen for awhile. They would have no reason to lie about it. I don't use Wen, and yes, I do lose some hair every day in the shower...but it's not clogging my drain!!!! THAT would indicate a problem.

Now whether Wen "clogs hair follicles" or not, I have no idea, but SOMETHING about it is causing major hair loss for a lot of people.

No one product works for EVERYONE.

graceupong­race1313595457.513453 PostsRegistered 8/6/2010

I have no intention of insulting anyone, or accuse anyone of lying. I just felt some people may be mistaking normal hair loss for a problem with WEN. The problem is obviously not coming from an internal source, but if your hair is great, it's not an external source either. Now, if someone gets a damaging service to their hair, and it starts to break and fall out, you know it's from that service. But if you use WEN and your hair is great, how can it be damaged enough to fall out? Just ignore me, I don't mean to cause a controversy, I just see so many posts about hair loss, I wanted to add my 2 cents.

shoptillId­rop1313597177.169399 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan

Hi graceupongrace, you're entitled to post your thoughts just as those who've posted their thoughts about WEN/hair loss.

I for one think you're bringing up some very valid points.

I tried being patient but it took too long.

LABoheme1313601838.16356 PostsRegistered 12/5/2010

Grace, I've kept quiet on this subject because I've seen how controversial it is. I am coming out of the closet to agree with you whole-heartedly. I use Wen, but have no vested interest in it's success or failure, but I've been to beauty school and know something about hair. You are correct that follicle damage from the ingredients in Wen is highly unlikely and so is breakage of hair at the scalp. Some people are claiming allergies, which is possible. If a person has an allergic reaction, they will also have other symptoms, such as burning, itching, etc. If it doesn't work for some people, okay, but so many people claiming hair loss from the product....doesn't work for me.

blondegirl1313602705.1931787 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006
On 8/17/2011 graceupongrace said:

I have no intention of insulting anyone, or accuse anyone of lying. I just felt some people may be mistaking normal hair loss for a problem with WEN. The problem is obviously not coming from an internal source, but if your hair is great, it's not an external source either. Now, if someone gets a damaging service to their hair, and it starts to break and fall out, you know it's from that service. But if you use WEN and your hair is great, how can it be damaged enough to fall out? Just ignore me, I don't mean to cause a controversy, I just see so many posts about hair loss, I wanted to add my 2 cents.

What a condescending statement to insinuate people are too stupid to be able to tell with their own hair whether it is "normal" hair loss or something else. I think most people can tell the difference between what is routinely shed everyday versus a lot of hair falling/coming out. I can imagine ingredients could cause damage in some people's hair and not others. I, for example, am allergic to salycilates. That includes menthol so it could be an issue for me but I did not like WEN anyhow because of the ingredients. Some of them are not entirely natural but have parfum/fragrance in them - for others, that too could be an issue. Hard to say but I think if people post their hair is falling out it unnecessary for someone to suggest they don't know what they are talking about JMO.

running sh­elby1313618687.0071954 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

I beleive that many of the people who have hair loss issues have come to the fork in the road where they have processed their hair to the point of breakage. They are looking for a miracle to a lot of damage and that is what attracted them to WEN in the first place.

They wanted those yards of flowing long hair they see in the presentation but they also wanted to sit for 45 minutes under a heat lamp with bleach and foil on their head and tell us that a cleanser was making their hair fall out was going to be even reasonable. It isn't. WEN doesn't cause hair loss. Coloring, heat processing, plastic hair clips and washing too often cause breakage.

Take a really good look at your hair..is it close to the same thickness from root to end. If it isn't, that is damage and breakage not hair loss. Sorry that is hard to face.

I imagine there are women who have alergies to certain products and I would absolutley encourage them to tread carefully with WEN because of the essential oils. If you think this product isn't right for you then you are absolutely right...but hair loss. No, sorry that is breakage.

Grandmaof61313621865.7039 PostsRegistered 8/17/2011
On 8/17/2011 Grandmaof6 said:

You better believe it causes hair loss. I tried Wen for over a month. While using it, my hair felt "soft", so I would run my fingers through it. EVERY time I did that, I had hair between each finger. Also, my hand felt like it had a coating of lotion on it. My bathroom floor was covered in hair. My drain stopper was full of hair. Now that I have stopped using Wen, I can run my fingers through my hair in the exact same say, and not one hair comes out. My drain stopper is no longer full of hair. Wen also stripped my haircolor like I have never seen before. My medium brown haircolor turned into a brassy light brown. I have a whole gallon, does anyone want to buy it?

I am 48 years old, and in good health, with hair down the middle of my back that is in good condition. I have been using the same at-home hair color for the past 10 years or more, with no fading problems until Wen. When I started using Wen, my head itched for the first week, and my scalp was so red it looked like it was sunburn. I emailed Wen, and the girl told me to stop using it because I must have been having an alergic reaction to it. My hair did not break off from Wen, it was literally shedding...falling out. Hair was all over my house, on my pillow, on my couch where I sit, on the floor. I was constantly picking hairs off my arms and back. It has now been two weeks since I stopped using Wen. I no longer have hair loss! I have no medical condition that only made my hair fall out while I was using Wen. I only tried Wen because my hair is naturally wavy that frizzes a little, especially on humid days. I've come to the conclusion that some people can use Wen, and some cannot.

puglet11313623558.6071478 PostsRegistered 3/31/2011

I agree, Grandmaof6.

I have no health problems, take no meds. My hair is long, layered, healthy, and I have a lot of it. I don't use product on my hair, I don't use heat. My hair takes 2 hours to air-dry. After using Wen for about 8 months, I noticed the hair loss because my parts looked wider all over my head. So I started counting the number of hairs I was losing each day, which averaged at least 200! (Normally, I lose about 50 hairs/day.) I also noticed a "pulling" sensation on my scalp. I had no problem understanding how to use Wen - I'm a pretty quick study and I found the process to be extremely easy. I rinsed especially well because I do not like residue in my hair and on my scalp. I went to 3 doctors to rule out any medical cause - internist, derm, rheumatologist. All tests came back negative. In addition to routine blood panels, I had more sensitive thyroid tests, hormone levels, as well as nutritional levels. I was not under any particular stress. All other things being equal in my boring, dull life, LOL, the only thing that had changed was my using Wen. When I switched back to my regular shampoo, my hair stopped falling out. Simple as that.

It always baffles me why those who love Wen feel they must try to put forth "excuses" for why so many of us have experienced hair loss or other ill effects with Wen. Frankly, I'm always amazed at how defensive and hostile those individuals are. It would seem to me, if you like a product, just be happy in your enjoyment of it. Why would you have to go to such lengths to try to convince those of us who have suffered that we must be wrong?? Is it an insecurity? I certainly don't understand that.

I report my experience simply so that others are AWARE of the potential for side effects with Wen. I was not on these boards when this happened to me and I went through a really terrible time (for those of you who have been through hair loss, you know the feeling). I wish I had known about these boards -- reading other people's experiences would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation. Kiss

LovemyHusky1313624108.0272871 PostsRegistered 3/4/2010
On 8/17/2011 barc said:

I agree, Grandmaof6.

I have no health problems, take no meds. My hair is long, layered, healthy, and I have a lot of it. I don't use product on my hair, I don't use heat. My hair takes 2 hours to air-dry. After using Wen for about 8 months, I noticed the hair loss because my parts looked wider all over my head. So I started counting the number of hairs I was losing each day, which averaged at least 200! (Normally, I lose about 50 hairs/day.) I also noticed a "pulling" sensation on my scalp. I had no problem understanding how to use Wen - I'm a pretty quick study and I found the process to be extremely easy. I rinsed especially well because I do not like residue in my hair and on my scalp. I went to 3 doctors to rule out any medical cause - internist, derm, rheumatologist. All tests came back negative. In addition to routine blood panels, I had more sensitive thyroid tests, hormone levels, as well as nutritional levels. I was not under any particular stress. All other things being equal in my boring, dull life, LOL, the only thing that had changed was my using Wen. When I switched back to my regular shampoo, my hair stopped falling out. Simple as that.

It always baffles me why those who love Wen feel they must try to put forth "excuses" for why so many of us have experienced hair loss or other ill effects with Wen. Frankly, I'm always amazed at how defensive and hostile those individuals are. It would seem to me, if you like a product, just be happy in your enjoyment of it. Why would you have to go to such lengths to try to convince those of us who have suffered that we must be wrong?? Is it an insecurity? I certainly don't understand that.

I report my experience simply so that others are AWARE of the potential for side effects with Wen. I was not on these boards when this happened to me and I went through a really terrible time (for those of you who have been through hair loss, you know the feeling). I wish I had known about these boards -- reading other people's experiences would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation. Kiss

I also am surprised at how hostle and defensive some people are about hair loss and Wen. I had thought about using wen, but after seeing how quite a bit of people have experienced hair loss I decided that it wouldn't be worth it. Now for some people I have seen that it does work really well and they love it and it has made a difference, but I am not willing to take that chance.

jurby1313700378.087593 PostsRegistered 8/14/2007

it's interesting that with all the posts by people complaining about hair loss that pretty much all of them never say anything about the factor of them being possibly being allergic to something in the Wen. they just point fingers and rant without really ever trying to find out WHY they are losing hair (ie. going to a dermatologist and getting allergy tested for common ingredients in beauty products - i've done this and found i'm allergic to a couple things, so i don't buy anything that have those ingrients). One of the ingredients in Wen is menthol. every one of us Wen lovers knows this. i personally love the menthol as it's so refreshing. i work in the healthcare industry and know that many people are allergic to menthol without ever knowing it until they use something with menthol in it and voila, they have an allergic reaction of redness, itchiness, sores, etc. i would bet that the vast majority of people losing their hair after using Wen are having allergic reactions to the menthol (or another ingredient) but unless they actually get tested for a menthol allergy (or other common ingredients in most beauty products), they're going to simply continue to freak out and whine and complain that Wen is a causing their hair loss, that it's a horrible product and should be taken off the market, etc. i'm not trying to downplay what they're going through as i understand that for some, it's quite traumatic, but i'm simply making an observation. it would be very interesting if every person who's used Wen and experienced hair loss were to be tested for menthol allergies (and other allergies from Wen's ingredients) as it wouldn't surprise me at all if the vast majority of them were actually allergic to one or more of Wen's ingredients. just saying....

jonnycat1313702824.01202 PostsRegistered 12/9/2007
On 8/17/2011 running shelby said:

I beleive that many of the people who have hair loss issues have come to the fork in the road where they have processed their hair to the point of breakage. They are looking for a miracle to a lot of damage and that is what attracted them to WEN in the first place.

They wanted those yards of flowing long hair they see in the presentation but they also wanted to sit for 45 minutes under a heat lamp with bleach and foil on their head and tell us that a cleanser was making their hair fall out was going to be even reasonable. It isn't. WEN doesn't cause hair loss. Coloring, heat processing, plastic hair clips and washing too often cause breakage.

Take a really good look at your hair..is it close to the same thickness from root to end. If it isn't, that is damage and breakage not hair loss. Sorry that is hard to face.

I imagine there are women who have alergies to certain products and I would absolutley encourage them to tread carefully with WEN because of the essential oils. If you think this product isn't right for you then you are absolutely right...but hair loss. No, sorry that is breakage.

All of my hairs that I lost had a root attatched to them. Tons of them. That is proof that it is more than external breakage.

ValentinaB­on1313726521.5276934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011
On 8/18/2011 jurby said:

it's interesting that with all the posts by people complaining about hair loss that pretty much all of them never say anything about the factor of them being possibly being allergic to something in the Wen. they just point fingers and rant without really ever trying to find out WHY they are losing hair (ie. going to a dermatologist and getting allergy tested for common ingredients in beauty products - i've done this and found i'm allergic to a couple things, so i don't buy anything that have those ingrients). One of the ingredients in Wen is menthol. every one of us Wen lovers knows this. i personally love the menthol as it's so refreshing. i work in the healthcare industry and know that many people are allergic to menthol without ever knowing it until they use something with menthol in it and voila, they have an allergic reaction of redness, itchiness, sores, etc. i would bet that the vast majority of people losing their hair after using Wen are having allergic reactions to the menthol (or another ingredient) but unless they actually get tested for a menthol allergy (or other common ingredients in most beauty products), they're going to simply continue to freak out and whine and complain that Wen is a causing their hair loss, that it's a horrible product and should be taken off the market, etc. i'm not trying to downplay what they're going through as i understand that for some, it's quite traumatic, but i'm simply making an observation. it would be very interesting if every person who's used Wen and experienced hair loss were to be tested for menthol allergies (and other allergies from Wen's ingredients) as it wouldn't surprise me at all if the vast majority of them were actually allergic to one or more of Wen's ingredients. just saying....

Ironically, some that say WEN is causing hair loss (and many say it is menthol) say their hair never looks better since they started using another product...and that product also contains menthol and some of the same ingredients WEN has. I don't doubt that some may be have issues with WEN but if you are, wouldn't you want to find out what is causing it since many shampoos and conditioners have similar ingredients? I know if I was losing tons of hair, I'd be going to the doctors and trying to find out the issue, whether it be a product (and, more specifically, a particular ingredient) or a medical issue.

Also, those that say you should never put conditioner on your scalp...I've been doing it all my life and it has not affected my hair one way or the other. I really think that is an old wives' tale...if it really was bad (i.e. that the majority of people who do so have some type of issue with doing so), why wouldn't there be disclaimers on conditioners saying "keep away from the scalp to prevent hair from falling out" or something to that effect?

DUH....WENing! :)

foundinlv21313727531.645277 PostsRegistered 6/16/2010

I tried Living Proof and it caused itchiness to my scalp although didn't lose hair. I stopped using it.

Last edited on 8/18/2011

Last edited on 8/18/2011

wishd4it1313728896.4213794 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007NC
On 8/18/2011 jurby said:

DEFINITELY & very well said.

sharibel1313748687.237372 PostsRegistered 7/24/2011
On 8/18/2011 ValentinaBon said:
On 8/18/2011 jurby said:

Ironically, some that say WEN is causing hair loss (and many say it is menthol) say their hair never looks better since they started using another product...and that product also contains menthol and some of the same ingredients WEN has. I don't doubt that some may be have issues with WEN but if you are, wouldn't you want to find out what is causing it since many shampoos and conditioners have similar ingredients? I know if I was losing tons of hair, I'd be going to the doctors and trying to find out the issue, whether it be a product (and, more specifically, a particular ingredient) or a medical issue.

Also, those that say you should never put conditioner on your scalp...I've been doing it all my life and it has not affected my hair one way or the other. I really think that is an old wives' tale...if it really was bad (i.e. that the majority of people who do so have some type of issue with doing so), why wouldn't there be disclaimers on conditioners saying "keep away from the scalp to prevent hair from falling out" or something to that effect?

Sorry, I do not see that "most posters" who have suffered adverse effects from Wen are "ranting and pointing fingers" -- What I see are most posters simply reporting their adverse experience with Wen to make others aware of the potential for adverse effects.

Like barc, I immediately went to my doctors to rule out any health issues after noticing significant hair loss with Wen. I have used many mentholated products in my life, including mentholated shampoos, and have never had my hair fall out like this. Actually, I tried to research menthol as well as other ingredients in Wen to, perhaps, find some answers. Unfortunately, there has been virtually no research on shampoos and their ingredients. The research on menthol focuses on menthol in cigarettes. This is exactly why it is so important to report adverse effects to the FDA, especially when there is such a large number of individuals who have suffered such effects with a particular product. It is only when enough people come forward and speak up that research will be initiated.

So, jurby, I don't know if I am understanding your point that people need to establish whether they have an allergy to menthol . . . Let's say I go to my doctor and I'm tested for a menthol allergy, which turns out to be positive. I will still be posting my experience with Wen -- that it caused significant hair loss -- with the addition of, "If you have a known allergy to menthol, you should not use Wen." So, what is the difference? For those posters who do not know if they have a menthol allergy, I don't think they are going to run to their doctor to be tested just so they can rule out an allergy in order to purchase Wen. That's not how things work, in reality. They will probably either decide to purchase Wen and take a risk, or decide that it's not worth the risk. The picture hasn't changed.

And, I will say once again, everyone reacts differently to different products. ValentinaBon, you believe that conditioner on the scalp causing hair loss is an "old wives' tale." You are certainly entitled to your opinion -- that is within the realm of YOUR experience. Others may have experienced otherwise.

I'm thinking that all the defensiveness and hostility from those of you who constantly challenge those of us who have experienced adverse reactions from Wen is because you are afraid that if too many people speak up, the product you love will be taken off the market. That is the only reason I can think of. Am I correct?

The bottom line is, given the significant number of people experiencing adverse reactions with Wen, I think more investigation is needed. Wen is certainly aware of the adverse reactions. I would hope they would take some responsibility for this investigation. If not, it would need to be handled by the FDA and can only be done so if people speak up.

Last edited on 8/19/2011

Last edited on 8/19/2011

Last edited on 8/19/2011

Lottina1313752091.3131359 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007Georgia

I, of course, can only speak for myself.

Two years ago I had a bald spot on back of my head and when I would cut my hair short, which I like to do, the bald spot would be so prominent that I would have to leave portions of the hair long enough to cover it up somewhat.

Now I have been using WEN for several years and I was so suprised a few months ago that I do not have to protect a bald spot anymore but can pretty much cut my hair as I choose. My hair has never been thick and is not now, but I do not have bald spots as I had for a long time before starting to use WEN.

I do my own hair cutting so I have to notice any problems that may be arising. I note also that when I comb or brush my hair there are fewer hairs in the brush than ever I remember before using WEN these last few years.

I find the the Almond Mint seems to fair better than the other "flavors".

Lottina

shoptillId­rop1313764040.749399 PostsRegistered 10/25/2006Michigan
On 8/19/2011 sharibel said:

I'm thinking that all the defensiveness and hostility from those of you who constantly challenge those of us who have experienced adverse reactions from Wen is because you are afraid that if too many people speak up, the product you love will be taken off the market. That is the only reason I can think of. Am I correct?

The bottom line is, given the significant number of people experiencing adverse reactions with Wen, I think more investigation is needed. Wen is certainly aware of the adverse reactions. I would hope they would take some responsibility for this investigation. If not, it would need to be handled by the FDA and can only be done so if people speak up.

Last edited on 8/19/2011

Last edited on 8/19/2011

No, you are not correct!

Let me start by saying this, your claimof hostility goes both ways. Before I started back with WEN, I calmly responded to a post about WEN and hair loss stating I'd never, in the two years of use, lost hair. A poster who'd used WEN and experienced hair loss, jumped on me like no body's business. I was quite shocked to tell you the truth.

You mention a "significant number of people experiencing adverse reactions with Wen", a significant number of people based on what? Can you explain this comment? This is a forum of only a few WEN users, there are thousands or more that use WEN on a regular basis without adverse reactions. So, for those who are having problems with WEN, they should stop using WEN, go to their Dr. and see what's causing their hair loss problem.

To say that those who use WEN "are afraid that if too many people speak up, the product you love will be taken off the market" is just plain silly. But, maybe that's what you're hoping for?

I tried being patient but it took too long.

ValentinaB­on1313765249.666934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

I, for one, am not worried about it being removed from the market because I know it never will be.

I do not mind people telling their experiences about WEN, negative or positive. What I mind is coming to a thread where those of us that enjoy are having a nice, civil conversation about it and someone who hates it (or hates Chaz personally) posts within the thread, trying to instigate an argument or stir up trouble. I also am tired of being attacked for being in a cult because I love WEN and it makes my hair better than anything I've ever tried. Again, I am not sure why people that hate WEN so much or Chaz or the beautiful models he has on his presenations like to come to the WEN forum and attack but it is getting old and tiresome. I will not be run out of the forum because I would like to help those that do have legitimate questions and want to discuss WEN civilly but I am certainly glad I've found another home on another site where people can have a mature, civil, adult conversation without namecalling, nastiness and attacks, whether we agree or disagree on the topic.

DUH....WENing! :)

GRAINGERDA­NGER1313771403.312 PostsRegistered 8/19/2011Dallas, TX

I just joined the WEN forum today. I've read several threads about the hair loss/allergy issues some are having. I think some hair loss may just be from the "vigorous" massaging of the product through the hair, as it instructs you to do. That is what i am attributing my hair loss to at the moment. And the every other day washings, that is normal for me to lose more hair when waiting a couple of days between washings. If i start losing copious amounts of hair or clumps like some have, i will quit using it. So far i have had no scalp redness, pain, allergic reaction at 6 weeks into regular use. But yeah, i know some are just trying to be helpful but i don't see any reason in arguing over any of this. I absolutely believe that some people are having bad reactions from using WEN, there are plenty of posts from people to indicate this. I might wind up being one of them, time will tell i guess. But i really love WEN so far and am excited about the seasonal TSV A/D coming up! Let's focus on the good stuff for those of us that can use it and not argue about things we cannot control.

Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 4 ...7Next