TSV(R) Preview
92 Members and 14321 Guests Online

WEN

Itchy Scalp

Started 1304521208.947 in WEN | Last reply 1313155027.827 by mcogirl

Has anyone else experienced an itchy scalp using Wen? I use TT and Lavender(have tried all flavors). I have tried single cleanse, cleanse and repeat, cleanse & leave-in overnight and I am still experiencing an itchy scalp only at the nape. I have never had this problem before Wen. I follow the directions exactly and I love Wen and so want it to work. I have used Wen for 5 months and just hate to give up. I can use a regular shampoo(shhh don't tell Chaz) and the itchiness stops with one shampoo. I go back to Wen and within three cleansings I get the itchy nape again. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2
ibb381304521780.7812376 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I've had this happen (also that dry feeling!) when it isn't rinsed well- I have this problem with fig. I also don't use Wen as an overnight- or a leave in.

nycbiggurl1304739414.433627 PostsRegistered 5/29/2010

My scalp itches after every shampoo I have ever used. I don't notice it as much with WEN. Maybe you need to rinse more. When I use WEN as a leave in conditioner I don't put it on my scalp just on my hair, and this is a must. It makes such a big difference.

rachaelb1304739863.48795 PostsRegistered 5/6/2011

Maybe your allergic to some of the ingredients. I use to have a itchy scalp before using WEN. I've been using for less then a week and LOVE the TT. It really has helped me. I feel so bad for you because I know what its like to go through that. Maybe you could just use your shampoo then the CC just on the ends of your hair.

mzbeers1304776631.12352 PostsRegistered 4/2/2011

I think the new formula will help with that issue.......you might want to give it a try.

jilly bean1305389642.52717 PostsRegistered 5/14/2011

It's building up on your scalp. Scratch the area with your fingernail, and now look under it. See a white residue. I have no idea how anyone can use this everyday. Your scalp needs to breath. I'm in the shower 5 to 7 minutes longer everyday just for my hair, and it still looks heavy. I like the way my hair looks for about the first week when using Wen. So I will use Wen for one week and switch to Ojon the next week. It works for me.

DonnaE1305390797.23139 PostsRegistered 12/14/2008
On 5/14/2011 jilly bean said:

It's building up on your scalp. Scratch the area with your fingernail, and now look under it. See a white residue. I have no idea how anyone can use this everyday. Your scalp needs to breath. I'm in the shower 5 to 7 minutes longer everyday just for my hair, and it still looks heavy. I like the way my hair looks for about the first week when using Wen. So I will use Wen for one week and switch to Ojon the next week. It works for me.

I have the same problem as OP...this seems well worth a try! I would hate to give up Wen.

Another poster mentioned a new formula...what is that?

JanieQ1305751908.034 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008

I am so glad you posted this! I was beginning to think I was crazy lol. I tried WEN back in November -- loved what it did for my hair but I had the same itchiness, mostly at the nape of my neck, too. I went back to shampoo and it cleared up right away -- thought I'd try WEN again last month and am having the same problem. And I have rinsed VERY well. So very frustrating.

I am beginning to think that I am allergic to some of the ingredients. But I also appreciate the idea from Jilly Bean to use just for a week and then switch to Ojon (which I also like). I think I will try that.

THANKS FOR POSTING!

Jane

mavdrkangl21306564046.413232 PostsRegistered 3/16/2011

I switch from WEN to OJON too. Since the SWA is just once a week, I use WEN the rest of the time. I would get an itchy scalp once in a while when using the WEN and you are right, if you switch to another "regular"shampoo, it will clear up. You just really have to spend alot of time rinsing your hair. Don't use it as your leave in on your scalp or the top of your head, just put it into the ends. The ends of your hair are the parts that need the most moisture usually anyway. The TT can be especially strong on the scalp when left in overnight as a leave-in or not rinsed out properly. It is meant to stimulate the scalp. I thought I might be allergic to some of the products too but I have been using them for two years now and I think putting the extra in my hair as a leave in was causing it to get on my skin after showering and the residue was causing the itching.

Desertdi1306580101.68315944 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

I itched terribly when my husband was alive. I think it was my nerves..............

mavdrkangl21306612704.567232 PostsRegistered 3/16/2011

Desertdi -

I think that symptom is universal ... had the same reaction with my ex{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

wilmus1307326747.368 PostsRegistered 7/24/2010

Thank you ALL for your posting because you helped me realize I needed to stop using WEN. I have extremely sensitive skin and finally realized that I was having an allergic reaction to the product after I tried one last time doing 2 washes and leaving it in longer – I ended up burning my scalp to the point that the skin crusted over, and I’m someone who has NEVER had dandruff in my life. All your posts were very encouraging. I know it is going to take several months for my scalp to heal – and I am extremely sad that I can’t use the product because my HAIR LOVED WEN!! Nothing has ever made my fine, limp, hair full of body before WEN. I really was sad to have to stop using it. I will be 60 this year and have wondered if some of this is due to aging. Wish Chaz would come up with something for us older gals. My doctor said even though all the ingredients were natural, something burned my skin.

ThinkOutsi­deTheBox1307563161.421632 PostsRegistered 1/23/2011
Same itching problem here when I have never had this problem prior to using WEN. And yes, I rinse thoroughly...very thoroughly.

beautybust­er1307588329.6131037 PostsRegistered 8/20/2007Newbury Park, Ca.

I got bumps and itchy scalp from the POM. I use LAV most of the time. Did not like any of the other flavors. I need the volume that Lav gives me.

mooshbear1307636884.07857 PostsRegistered 12/9/2010
On 6/5/2011 wilmus said:

Thank you ALL for your posting because you helped me realize I needed to stop using WEN. I have extremely sensitive skin and finally realized that I was having an allergic reaction to the product after I tried one last time doing 2 washes and leaving it in longer – I ended up burning my scalp to the point that the skin crusted over, and I’m someone who has NEVER had dandruff in my life. All your posts were very encouraging. I know it is going to take several months for my scalp to heal – and I am extremely sad that I can’t use the product because my HAIR LOVED WEN!! Nothing has ever made my fine, limp, hair full of body before WEN. I really was sad to have to stop using it. I will be 60 this year and have wondered if some of this is due to aging. Wish Chaz would come up with something for us older gals. My doctor said even though all the ingredients were natural, something burned my skin.

According to the description on Chaz's website, the new 613 CC is supposed to be geared towards those with sensative skin and it is also supposed to be very repairing and nourishing. I don't know whether or not you will want to give it another go after what sounds like a very upsetting experience but if so, this just may be the best of both worlds for you. HTH!

Connieb1307639533.713236 PostsRegistered 11/16/2007
On 6/8/2011 beautybuster said:

I got bumps and itchy scalp from the POM. I use LAV most of the time. Did not like any of the other flavors. I need the volume that Lav gives me.

I, too, have experienced the itchy scalp after using the WEN Pomegranate TSV. I stopped using all WEN products for 2 weeks and the itchiness stopped. On this past Sunday I shampooed with the shampoo I was using during the past 2 weeks but used the TSV 32 oz. Pom CC as a conditioner and then rinsed it all out. By Monday morning I was itching and scratching like mad. I must have developed an allergy to it. I never had a reaction to the 16 oz. Pom that I purchased last November, and I've also used Tea Tree.

Last edited on 6/9/2011

Last edited on 6/9/2011

josyjay1308435736.8031 PostsRegistered 6/18/2011

I am so glad I found these postings. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. I have been using the WEN fig formulation for about 4 mos now and have been suffering with an itchy and peeling scalp around my hairline. It is not happening anywhere else on the scalp only at the top 1/2 inch of my forehead and temples and maybe a 1/2 inch into the hair itself. My scalp has actually started bleeding on several occasions. I am 46 and was acutally thinking that it had something to do with being perimenopausal. It didn't "click" until recently that it may be due to the WEN, so I started rinsing my hair for 5-8 mins (I have thick, coarse, very curly hair) and I stopped putting it on the scalp as a leave-in but continue to have the problems. Now that I see these other posts it seems more likely that this product is the culprit. I have never had problems with sensitive skin so I am not sure what this reaction is from. Like most others have said, I love what it has done for my hair (especially the new hair growth) and would hate to have to stop using it but my scalp is starting to look pretty bad. I was thinking of trying the tea tree but am afraid that the same thing will happen.

nycbiggurl1310919765.46627 PostsRegistered 5/29/2010
On 5/6/2011 nycbiggurl said:

My scalp itches after every shampoo I have ever used. I don't notice it as much with WEN. Maybe you need to rinse more. When I use WEN as a leave in conditioner I don't put it on my scalp just on my hair, and this is a must. It makes such a big difference.

I started using Pom about a month ago and I noticed right away that I had no itching. This is big for me. No matter what shampoo I used I always had itching. It may be the the fragrance, have you tried Pom?

GApeachy1311306810.551 PostsRegistered 7/21/2011

Me too. I've used WEN on and off for about a year. I started with the Almond Mint formula which got me hooked, but then it seemed to be a little too heavy for my oily hair during the hot weather months. Next, I got the sampler set so I could try all the formulas. I read all the reviews for each formula and thought that TT and CucAloe would work best for my oily hair but those two caused me the worst itching. So I'm thinking overall the conditioning cleansers just aren't right for me, but I still love the styling products and since I don't apply those directly to my scalp I'll probably stick with those. Unless of course I still have itching or I find they are building up too heavily on my hair over time.

I Teach Too1311337748.60711790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.

I got my hair cut yesterday. My head is itching like crazy from the shampoo the stylist used...and it was NOT WEN!

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

NoelAnn1311359500.3474 PostsRegistered 3/6/2011

I just used wen for the first time. there is a burning on the back of my head wher ethe hair meets the neck. WHY?? The only thing that ever does that in anyway for me is hair dye.

I don't understand. Can someone tell me what's going on. I bought a gallon of lavender, after reading about it for a long time it was just more economical on easy pay.

so ladies i do not have a sensitve scalp. is this normal?????

I used exactly what was recommended.

Last edited on 7/22/2011

Last edited on 7/22/2011

mom of 6!!1311360320.48203 PostsRegistered 3/15/2011

If it is BURNING STOP using!!!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

NoelAnn1311361214.80774 PostsRegistered 3/6/2011
On 7/22/2011 mom of 6!! said:

If it is BURNING STOP using!!!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

it'a stopped now . took about 15 min. felt more like a tingle at first... but yeah it was eventually burning... :(.... i must have been using too much... i don't feel like returning it... has anyone else had that sensation and it went away? i don't remember they saying anything about this on the presentations at all.

NoelAnn1311378858.76374 PostsRegistered 3/6/2011

anyone else have anything to say?

NoelAnn1311465203.49774 PostsRegistered 3/6/2011

hellooooo anyone else have experience with this or not?? When i read about Chad it said that wen is astringent base... thus the burning. I'll trying one more time. hope it's not past 30 days i was using up my OJON before i tried it. i did like ojon but wanted to see which is better.

Last edited on 7/23/2011

Last edited on 7/23/2011

betteb1311466725.32716444 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz
On 7/23/2011 NoelAnn said:

hellooooo anyone else have experience with this or not?? When i read about Chad it said that wen is astringent base... thus the burning. I'll trying one more time. hope it's not past 30 days i was using up my OJON before i tried it. i did like ojon but wanted to see which is better.

Last edited on 7/23/2011

I had this as well as the itchy flakey scalp. Not everything is for everyone. I had much better results with Ojon, but, Ojon recently sold to Estee Lauder and all the formulas have changed completely{#emotions_dlg.mad}. It is now garbage, IMO. Just awful. So dispointed by that.

I have started using this NICK CHAVEZ I have not cared for his other poo/cond, but this is a new formulation and I like it a lot. It takes a very small amount to do the job and leaves my hair full, shiney and managable. Now if I could just find a replacement for the Ojon Revitalizing Mist. Loved that stuff and they ruined it.

ETA If I were you I would return that gallon while you still can. That is a lot of $$ to give up.

Last edited on 7/23/2011

Last edited on 7/23/2011

"God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes. 'Cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues" Everlast

Page 1 of 2