TSV(R) Preview
22 Members and 12766 Guests Online

WEN

What to use to control dandruff.

Started 1301816678.64 in WEN | Last reply 1301919406.283 by Latonya

So today as I was getting ready for work, I happened to stop on QVC and was introduced to WEN for the first time. I was intrigued by what he was saying, but my first questions was "is my dandruff because of my shampoo?"

I'm 25 years old with normal hair. Once I hit my teen's I have constantly been dealing with persistent dandruff. I've used most of the standard dandruff shampoos that I can find in the grocery store (Denorex, something from Neutrogena, and others that I can't think of). In the last few months I found Matrix BioLage which I can only find at one store. I have no allergies to ingredients (that I know of).

So, is there anyone who has/had dandruff out there who can share how WEN worked for them? And, which one is best for treating dandruff?

(Crosses fingers and hopes Lavender will work.)

Thank you so much for you thoughts!

Page 1 of 1
darkpoet1301819283.633719 PostsRegistered 10/1/2010

I would see a dermatologist if I were you.

realsilver­girl1301827574.361979 PostsRegistered 12/12/2009

I would use the Neutrogena T GEL. Neutrogena has another one for dandruff that is clear but T GEL has always worked for me for prevention. It stinks kindof but it has improved in that area. I just wash my hair, then use T GEL, then wash it again with something fruity or Gingerbread man from Philosophy (so clean!). I have oily hair though so I often do a few shampoos anyway. Don't use if you are allergic to sulfa I think. Or check with your doctor.

If you twist and turn away.
It you tear yourself in two again.
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would let it go.
Surrender, dislocate.
Bad U2

mzbeers1301839007.52352 PostsRegistered 4/2/2011

Chaz always says Tea Tree for scalp issues, and if you have problems wearing black. So if dandruff is your issue, try Tea Tree. Lavender is for moisture and volume.

I just started using Sweet Almond Mint a few months ago, I have some of the other varieties on their way, Tea Tree being one of them.

Let us know how the Lavender works for you!

glorybe1301865149.1972700 PostsRegistered 9/25/2007

Hi,

I have always had issues with dandruff/itchy scalp.......like you, I have tried all the over-the-counter shampoos for dandruff. None of them worked well for me, even the Neutrogena T-Gel. I used to use Paul Mitchell TT shampoo, but they changed the formula.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I have used WEN for the last few months and am finding it works better than anything else for me. I use the TT for the scalp always, then use CCA on the rest, or if I want to encourage the "waves" in my hair I use Lavender on the rest. No more itchy scalp or flakes. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} HTH

palmajo1301865287.3637582 PostsRegistered 10/22/2007

I would see a Dermatologist. They have prescriptions that work better than anything OTC.

"The Only Thing Greater Than the Power of the Mind is the Courage of the Heart"

Nightowlz1301865617.4139688 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

You can add 10 drops of tea tree oil to 8 oz shampoo. You can also try Sea Breeze. http://aztec.asu.edu/iaha/articles/Tea_Tree_Article/tea_tree_article.html

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

oboearia1301900596.0273 PostsRegistered 4/3/2011

Thank you all so much for your recommendations!

For those who recommended seeing a dermatologist, I did see one in High School. At that time I was told that I what I had was not so serious as to need a prescription. Since the issues has not worsened that is why I have simply dealt with it (there is also the difficulty of not having insurance at this point in time).

From all the suggestions I think I'll save my pennies and try the Tea Tree Clen. Cond. and the WEN Tea Tree Oil.

Again thank you all so much for your thoughts on this!

SuziQ21301902781.3132529 PostsRegistered 9/18/2008

oboearia -

Regular doctors treat symptoms with drugs/topical creams and surgeries, and don't go to the root cause. A Naturpathic Doctor would be able to tell you what is wrong and why you are having an issue. They work on finding out 'why' you have a problem. I have had scalp issues since I was a teen. To keep itching under control, I have pretty much washed my hair every day since then. After going to a Naturpathic Dr, I was told I had a Candida issue, and it can affect your scalp. It is an overgrowth of yeast in your system...and sugar/carbs feed it. I recently found out that my youngest brother has had this same problem and I knew my Dad used a prescription on his scalp to keep the sores down when I was growing up. He never knew why he had them, but all of us are real sugar/sweet lovers. I have noticed when I eat more sugar, I have more issues.

I bathe everyday, and keep my home and person clean, but I get bumps/sores on my head if I go more than every other day in between washing my hair. Every 1-1/2 days is best for me but that is an odd schedule so I just am careful to wash everyday when I can. I am using Wen Tea Tree after I lather with head & shoulders, and it is working well. I find when I am dieting and staying away from sugar, I don't have the issues nearly as bad and the itching is very much diminished. Just treating the scalp isn't findiing out 'why' we have issues. I like to get rid of problems, not just treat them, so will continue to get help until it is under control or gone. Good luck to you too....

Last edited on 4/4/2011

Last edited on 4/4/2011

Chocolate; It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Latonya1301919094.3874179 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006

I have psoriasis and eczema. As a teenager my scalp would flake up and get worse while I washed my hair. My Dermatologist prescribed several Rx shampoos that treated my scalp and told me to wash my hair no more than twice a week. The Rx shampoos and creams made my hair dry and brittle. That was many years ago though. As an adult I still deal with scalp issues. Until Wen, I was managing it with creams, oils and whatever I could find to keep the issues under control and not dry out my hair.

I've been using Wen since October. Wen hasn't alleviated the problem but it has made a huge difference. I apply the Tea Tree oil to my scalp and let it sit for at least 2 hours then I wash it out with Wen cleansing conditioners (TT on scalp, Fig or Pom on hair).

My scalp is still dry but it's nothing like it was. It improves each time I use Tea Tree and my hair isn't being sacrificed.

Good luck to you.

Latonya1301919406.2834179 PostsRegistered 12/3/2006
On 4/4/2011 SuziQ2 said:

oboearia -

Regular doctors treat symptoms with drugs/topical creams and surgeries, and don't go to the root cause. A Naturpathic Doctor would be able to tell you what is wrong and why you are having an issue. They work on finding out 'why' you have a problem. I have had scalp issues since I was a teen. To keep itching under control, I have pretty much washed my hair every day since then. After going to a Naturpathic Dr, I was told I had a Candida issue, and it can affect your scalp. It is an overgrowth of yeast in your system...and sugar/carbs feed it. I recently found out that my youngest brother has had this same problem and I knew my Dad used a prescription on his scalp to keep the sores down when I was growing up. He never knew why he had them, but all of us are real sugar/sweet lovers. I have noticed when I eat more sugar, I have more issues.

I bathe everyday, and keep my home and person clean, but I get bumps/sores on my head if I go more than every other day in between washing my hair. Every 1-1/2 days is best for me but that is an odd schedule so I just am careful to wash everyday when I can. I am using Wen Tea Tree after I lather with head & shoulders, and it is working well. I find when I am dieting and staying away from sugar, I don't have the issues nearly as bad and the itching is very much diminished. Just treating the scalp isn't findiing out 'why' we have issues. I like to get rid of problems, not just treat them, so will continue to get help until it is under control or gone. Good luck to you too....

Last edited on 4/4/2011

Hey SuzieQ2,

Have you tried Tea Tree oil? That makes the difference for me. I can feel it working and it has really helped with itching. Once I start scratching it's all over.

The Wen Tea Tree oil smell is very strong. I could never use it as a leave in, though I'd like to.

Page 1 of 1