TSV(R) Preview
19 Members and 9164 Guests Online

WEN

Difference between TV Commercial WEN and QVC WEN?

Started 1301797682.5 in WEN | Last reply 1307090986.617 by DebMarin

I am not a WEN user but one of my good friends is.

I told her about the TSV but she said she likes to get hers from the informercial special.

I told her that I "think" it's a diff. formula than the one sold on the Q and we both were not sure why that would be but I swear I read that somewhere??

Is it the same or diff? ALSO, is one better than the other?

Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 1
ValentinaB­on1301797980.396934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

They are the same. The only difference is the company you are buying it from (guthy-renker vs. Qvc or Chaz's studio website).

DUH....WENing! :)

streetangel1301822517.736377 PostsRegistered 12/19/2007Near Harrisburg, PA

No, I believe there is a slight difference in the formulas. Some of the other ladies on here may be able to help further, as I think some have the ingredient decks written down. I have read on here in the past that the formulas on QVC and the ones Chaz sells at the salon are identical -- the Guthy-Renker formula is slightly different. Not sure why, though.

Mary

~~Cats are God's furry angels on earth, without wings~~
~~I bleed Black and Gold for the Pittsburgh Steelers!~~
~~Proud of my 18-yr old granddaughter, who's in the Army Reserves and just married the soldier of her dreams!

Rowdymom1301830373.98313099 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA

HTGT or Bruingirl would be the best to address this, but if memory serves me, the formulas are the same but labeling is different due to International requirements. The order of ingredients is different in International labeling, but I can't remember exactly why. The Salon/QVC formula is not labeled for international sale, G-R is. You have to remember that G-R "owns" their formula, which is why the labeling is different and the name. There's is "WEN Hair Care System", here it's "WEN by Chaz Dean".

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

Sandgirl13018418457313 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 4/3/2011 Rowdymom said:

HTGT or Bruingirl would be the best to address this, but if memory serves me, the formulas are the same but labeling is different due to International requirements. The order of ingredients is different in International labeling, but I can't remember exactly why. The Salon/QVC formula is not labeled for international sale, G-R is. You have to remember that G-R "owns" their formula, which is why the labeling is different and the name. There's is "WEN Hair Care System", here it's "WEN by Chaz Dean".

This is good info RM. I never noticed the names before...but, you are right humm interesting.

Thank you for clarifying!

ibb381301842523.56312381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

At last year's beauty bash, one of Chaz's reps told me the Q version is more moisturizing.

ValentinaB­on1301849329.9936934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

Well that is funny because I was told by a CS person from Chaz's website that they are the same formulas. But yeah, what do I know..

Lizzie76771301852857.651628 PostsRegistered 7/16/2006Mass

Wow, that is weird. I emailed Chaz's studio in 2009 and their Operations/Production Manager emailed me back stating they are different. The cc and the styling creme that is sold at Chaz studio is the same one sold at QVC.

He also said the remoist that GR is the original version that Chaz developed in the beginning. The one sold at their studio and at QVC is different because it has more oils and conditioning agents. HTH

ETA: He said they tested their version exhaustively prior to launching with GR and found the performance to be identical.

Last edited on 4/3/2011

Last edited on 4/3/2011

kar321301856282.9031981 PostsRegistered 3/28/2009
On 4/3/2011 ValentinaBon said:

Well that is funny because I was told by a CS person from Chaz's website that they are the same formulas. But yeah, what do I know..

i called Chaz Dean's customer service at his salon last summer and was told the formulas are slightly different.i forget why but i was calling about the remoist at the time.i bought a gunthy renker remoist off ebay it was sealed then i bought a different scent off qvc.when i recieved the qvc one it was a different thickness and seemed way better to me.i looked and the ingred. were different and posted abpout it on the boards.i called Chaz Dean's number on his website and the woman i spoke to told me they are different and the remoist at qvc and sold at their salon is much thicker and has more moisture.i forget all the details now but i did post about this before.

Cheryl A S­ophie1301861284.13952 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007
I am interested in finding the answer, I recall seeing on here a while ago that they were different formulas. Posted that once on Facebook on Wen page, in reply to someone's concern and people flipped that he (Chaz) had no right to sell as different lesser formula under G-R. When comments got nasty I backed out as looked in beauty form but could not find the thread with information, lord why are people SO nasty and suit happy to one another?

Ban the Deed not the Breed.
Spay and Neuter your pet

yogagirl7771301867213.36481 PostsRegistered 1/1/2011

the TV version label/ingrediants is almost identical to Hair One, the WEN dupe sold at Sally's Beauty. Not the same as WEN sold at Chaz's site or QVC.

little dai­sy1301868921.092259 PostsRegistered 3/6/2007

I have used both of them and they are the same.

yogagirl7771301869648.05481 PostsRegistered 1/1/2011
On 4/3/2011 daisy mae said:

I have used both of them and they are the same.

I've used them both also, but just check the labels. The TV version label is not the same and matches the Hair One Cucumber Aloe nearly identical if not identical. I'd post it but I haven't used anything but QVC ordered WEN in a few years. I've used WEN for 5 yrs now.

Rowdymom1301917573.08713099 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA
On 4/3/2011 Purrson said: I am interested in finding the answer, I recall seeing on here a while ago that they were different formulas. Posted that once on Facebook on Wen page, in reply to someone's concern and people flipped that he (Chaz) had no right to sell as different lesser formula under G-R. When comments got nasty I backed out as looked in beauty form but could not find the thread with information, lord why are people SO nasty and suit happy to one another?

Here's the deal. Chaz contracted with G-R for the SAM formula when he did the informercial. From what I've heard and read about G-R, their contracts include the right to "tweak" the formula to meet their "standards". Whatever changes have been made are to satisfy International labeling and G-R's specific needs. I've been told that their formula performs equally well in testing. Chaz is involved in the marketing and consumer education areas, training their phone center personnel, but the formula is legally G-R's to do what they will.

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

ValentinaB­on1301954840.476934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

I hope that someone from WEN can clear this up for all of us, especially since I was told one thing by CS and someone else was told the opposite.

I understand that G-R may be able to tweak it but, say, if someone bought the one from G-R and loved it and then thought they'd purchase it from QVC or Chaz's website and didn't like it as well, that may not bode well for the product and the person may stop using it altogether (thinking the product has changed). Or vice versa...a person may HATE the G-R version and never even think to try the ones on QVC or Chaz's website, even though it may work better for them, because they don't realize the formulas are different. I think it is odd of WEN SAM from G-R is different from WEN SAM from the Q or Chaz's studio as I've never heard of any other product with the exact same name but different formulas. Or maybe a disclaimer on G-R site saying it is a different formula than found elsewhere so customers are made aware that there is a difference. JMHO! Smile

Rowdymom1301969166.2913099 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA
On 4/4/2011 ValentinaBon said:

I hope that someone from WEN can clear this up for all of us, especially since I was told one thing by CS and someone else was told the opposite.

I understand that G-R may be able to tweak it but, say, if someone bought the one from G-R and loved it and then thought they'd purchase it from QVC or Chaz's website and didn't like it as well, that may not bode well for the product and the person may stop using it altogether (thinking the product has changed). Or vice versa...a person may HATE the G-R version and never even think to try the ones on QVC or Chaz's website, even though it may work better for them, because they don't realize the formulas are different. I think it is odd of WEN SAM from G-R is different from WEN SAM from the Q or Chaz's studio as I've never heard of any other product with the exact same name but different formulas. Or maybe a disclaimer on G-R site saying it is a different formula than found elsewhere so customers are made aware that there is a difference. JMHO! Smile

As I said in my post downthread, they do not have the same name and have totally different labelling. Have you ever seen the G-R products? You may want to visit the site and check them out. G-R's is the "WEN Hair Care System" with no mention of Chaz's name. What is sold here and at the Studio is "WEN by Chaz Dean".. no deception, different labeling, potentially different products.

kar321301978762.171981 PostsRegistered 3/28/2009
On 4/4/2011 Rowdymom said:

As I said in my post downthread, they do not have the same name and have totally different labelling. Have you ever seen the G-R products? You may want to visit the site and check them out. G-R's is the "WEN Hair Care System" with no mention of Chaz's name. What is sold here and at the Studio is "WEN by Chaz Dean".. no deception, different labeling, potentially different products.

GR has all the flavors besides sweet al mint well at least they have fig and cucumber.i've seen them on ebay.it seems a ton of the GR version is sold on ebay. i bought the cucumber remoit once on ebay and never again it was totally different to me than the one on qvc and chaz's website.

ValentinaB­on1301979780.2976934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011

I am not sure what website you see but the one I see that is the G-R website for WEN DOES say "WEN by Chaz Dean" and is the exact same packaging so I am confused about your statement. Here is the one I am referring to. It also has Chaz himself on the site...

http://www.wenhaircare.com/index.php?uci=ous116&refcd=GO006894s_wen&tsacr=GO6749367256&s_kwcid=TC|8124|wen||S|e|6749367256

Rowdymom1302000542.113099 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA
<br />

I am not sure what website you see but the one I see that is the G-R website for WEN DOES say "WEN by Chaz Dean" and is the exact same packaging so I am confused about your statement. Here is the one I am referring to. It also has Chaz himself on the site...

http://www.wenhaircare.com/index.php?uci=ous116&refcd=GO006894s_wen&tsacr=GO6749367256&s_kwcid=TC|8124|wen||S|e|6749367256

Sorry, I stand corrected. The labels are different but it does have Chaz's name on it. I had been told that the labeling for G-R said "WEN" but the phrasing was different than the studio line. You're right then, there should be some clarification of what, if any, differences exist.Smile

I discussed this with someone from his marketing team a year or so ago and was told that the major differences in the ingredients and labeling had to do with international sales, which is why the studio line cannot be sold on QVC's international outlets. People who use both definitely need to understand what they're purchasing.

ValentinaB­on1302017857.8376934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011
On 4/5/2011 Rowdymom said:

Sorry, I stand corrected. The labels are different but it does have Chaz's name on it. I had been told that the labeling for G-R said "WEN" but the phrasing was different than the studio line. You're right then, there should be some clarification of what, if any, differences exist.SmileI discussed this with someone from his marketing team a year or so ago and was told that the major differences in the ingredients and labeling had to do with international sales, which is why the studio line cannot be sold on QVC's international outlets. People who use both definitely need to understand what they're purchasing.

No problem! Just want to be sure there wasn't a THIRD variety out there!Smile

Okay so check this out....I have, in my hot little hand, a G-R SAM styling cream my friend gave me. I did not know it was the G-R one and I have been using it for about a month now and LOVE it. Soooo...I just now looked on Chaz's website and compared ingredients of the two SAM styling creams and NO they are NOT the same!!!! Actually, they are a bit different. In the G-R one, the first time a "cone" is listed is in the fourth ingredient (versus Chaz's, which is the third). Also, the G-R actually has Sweet ALmond seed extract in it (which is good!), which Chaz's version does not and the G-R one does NOT contain parabens (good for those avoiding parabens) which the Q and Chaz's versions DO contain parabens. This is rather upsetting to me, actually, and now I am soooo happy I did NOT buy the SAM styling cream yet from the Q or Chaz's site (I was about to on Saturday)! I would be so disappointed getting one of the ones from his site, unaware it was different, and then been puzzled if it wasn't working as well! Grrrrr...so frustrating. Well, now I know and I know I will (unfortunately) have to order from G-R when I want to replace my SAM styling cream, although I think I will try the CA styling cream from the Q or Chaz's site. Now I am almost sure the CC must be different...

Hope that helps!

Last edited on 4/5/2011

Last edited on 4/5/2011

littlepixie1302019161.703446 PostsRegistered 4/2/2011New York, NY

Hmm... this is kind of upsetting. I would prefer the ones with no parabens either but I hate ordering anything through GR, so I bought the CC from Q last night.

I found this on the GR Chaz site.. and ingredient list (although not sure if its a complete list):

http://www.wenhaircare.com/whyitsunique.php

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant .

ValentinaB­on1302020166.0476934 PostsRegistered 3/18/2011
On 4/5/2011 littlepixie said:

Hmm... this is kind of upsetting. I would prefer the ones with no parabens either but I hate ordering anything through GR, so I bought the CC from Q last night.

I found this on the GR Chaz site.. and ingredient list (although not sure if its a complete list):

http://www.wenhaircare.com/whyitsunique.php

well what the heck! Those ingredients for the syling cream (aka Creme) are NOT the same as the two I have in my hand! Soooo crazy! Mine are from last year so maybe they changed the ingredients since then. Here are the ingredients for the two tubes I have:

Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyacrylamide, Dimethiconol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Extract, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene.

{#emotions_dlg.bored}

And looking at the CC ingredients, those are obviously different as well...wow, quite the eye opener!

Last edited on 4/5/2011

Last edited on 4/5/2011

Cheryl A S­ophie1302416155.237952 PostsRegistered 10/20/2007

Glad threads going can reference it if others post things on facebook.

Ban the Deed not the Breed.
Spay and Neuter your pet

WILHELMINA1307070110.9372 PostsRegistered 4/25/2010

WEN IS GREAT! BUT WEN FROM QVC IS DIFFERENT FROM WEN GUTHY RENKER! WEN GUTHY RENKER S U C K S! WEN QVC ROX!

DebMarin1307090986.4171 PostsRegistered 6/3/2011

The products are the SAME, but Guthy Renker only carries Sweet Almond Mint and Cucumber scents. Originally, I ordered thru Guthy Renker, but quit when I realized QVC had ALL the scents. Also, QVC has better prices and doesn't force you into auto-shipments.

Page 1 of 1