The Joy of Christmas
93 Members and 15606 Guests Online

WEN

Fairly New-User of WEN......"feeling of build-up"??

Started 1301771539.75 in WEN | Last reply 1302120799.627 by Lowry83

OK, so I tried WEN for the first time a few months ago. Sweet Almond Mint. Loved it the very first use, seemed to get better over time. However, after a while, I noticed my hair not getting oily at all, even after like 3 or 4 days of not washing (I was ill at the time). I also noticed not getting that "tingling" feeling anymore with the SAW.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you long time users do to prevent a build-up feeling? I broke down and used a regular shampoo (oh the horror!), but it did seem to recitify the problem. I immediately used SAW after that shampoo.

Does the Cucumber Aloe act as a kind of clarifier? Should I be alternating the types?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Page 1 of 1
JMINNY1301776709.7372233 PostsRegistered 7/6/2006N.Y.

I am not sure I completely understand what you mean about "not getting oily at all"...But Yes--I always use the Cucumber Aloe as my first cleanse for clarifying and cleaning of the scalp, (although it is not totally necessary)--I just prefer to...My second cleanse, I usually use the tea tree on scalp-and one of the others on the ends, as I have all 6 of them...most important---The product should not build-up at all, so You may not be rinsing enough...I always rinse very thoroughly, and even when I think It's enough, I go a minute or so more, just to be sure...I no longer get the tingling feeling, and that's o.k....When you get used to it-it will not tingle anymore...I have been using WEN, since he came to QVC-about 5 years..

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.

I am a WEN girl, a Geller girl, a Mallinista, and proud of it!!!

beautybust­er1301786571.521028 PostsRegistered 8/20/2007Newbury Park, Ca.
I only had a build up and feeling of my hair not really getting clean when I did not use enough product. I found more was better. But I also learned that I had to rinse extra well too. HTH

kal1301809283.1572440 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007
On 4/2/2011 mzbeers said:

OK, so I tried WEN for the first time a few months ago. Sweet Almond Mint. Loved it the very first use, seemed to get better over time. However, after a while, I noticed my hair not getting oily at all, even after like 3 or 4 days of not washing (I was ill at the time). I also noticed not getting that "tingling" feeling anymore with the SAW.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you long time users do to prevent a build-up feeling? I broke down and used a regular shampoo (oh the horror!), but it did seem to recitify the problem. I immediately used SAW after that shampoo.

Does the Cucumber Aloe act as a kind of clarifier? Should I be alternating the types?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, my hair does not get oily at all, but I don't think that is build-up and I don't see it as a problem. I believe the cuticle has been smoothed down, the hair is protected, and dirt and styling products just slide out of my hair when I rinse it. I'm not sure what you are saying the problem is.

Rowdymom1301831068.35713089 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005SE PA

The quick and easy answer is more product, more rinsing. If you have some Cucumber Aloe it can't hurt to do a cleanse with that once a week or so, or use that on your scalp and your usual formula on your ends. Another option (my personal choice) is Tea Tree on your scalp and your favorite formula on your ends. I use either Lavender or Pom.

It takes a while to get used to the feel of hair that isn't being stripped when you cleanse and to change your mindset of what feels "clean". As others have said, the cuticle will feel smoother and you won't get that harsh "squeak" when you feel your freshly rinsed hair. I do like to feel a subtle one, to let me know that I have rinsed effectively, but not like I did with shampoo.

When you apply your WEN, make sure that you use enough that it feels creamy to the touch after you added your water. If it doesn't, add a pump or two. If it feels too heavy, decrease by a pump or two next time. I find that as my hair grows between cuts, I need to adjust my pumps a time or two to get a good result. After you've allowed the WEN to stay in your hair, rinse well... and when you're thinking you're done rinsing, rinse a little more.Smile Always finish your rinse with as cool a final rinse as you can tolerate.

Don't forget your styling products. If you do use a pump or so of leave in and Styling Cream, only apply those to the lower 2/3 of your hair, keeping it away from your scalp.

Good luck with your WEN!

blonde/gray, blue-gray, dry combination, neutral beige. WEN, Somerville, Clinique

ibb381301844561.18312016 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't know about using more product- but I do know about more rinsing. I can't use fig because it takes forever to rinse out of my medium thick hair. I thought fig itself was making my hair dry and brittle- but it was all that product lingering in my hair! The other formulations rinse out of my hair much better.

belleandme1301845127.7178642 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois

i know i am in the minority here, but i alternate back and forth with wen and reg. poo.

i have been using wen since it came to the q. and i love it! wont be without it.

but i just like to use a reg. shampoo once every week or two.

i put the wen on the ends and add the poo to the crown. then i work it down over the wen so the ends arent too effected.

this works for me.

then the rest of the time i dont have to worry about using more or extra rinsing (though i do lean toward dry most of the time).

i personally dont like to feel boxed in by rules and just figured out my own routine. i know others use only wen, and are thrilled with it. this wasnt the case for me. last summer i tried using only wen for 3-4 weeks in a row, and i just wasnt feeling right about my scalp. so i used the poo and everything was fine again.

ojon makes good low/no sulfate shampoo's and so do many health food stores.

good luck whatever you find works!

belleandme

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

mzbeers1301859037.783352 PostsRegistered 4/2/2011

Thanks for all the responses everyone, it really helps a lot! I've ordered some different kinds, and can't wait to try them all. I've got every different one coming except Cucumber Aloe, and would love to try that one as well. Too bad it didn't come as a choice in the TSV.

Can't wait for the Lemon/Citrus, I am a huge fan of Citrus anything!

Vikes Fan1302116725.7886 PostsRegistered 2/14/2008
I do the same thing. I love my Wen but sometimes feel like I need to shampoo so I use Ojon once and awhile. This works great for me and my hair has never looked better.

On 4/3/2011 belleandme said:

i know i am in the minority here, but i alternate back and forth with wen and reg. poo.

i have been using wen since it came to the q. and i love it! wont be without it.

but i just like to use a reg. shampoo once every week or two.

i put the wen on the ends and add the poo to the crown. then i work it down over the wen so the ends arent too effected.

this works for me.

then the rest of the time i dont have to worry about using more or extra rinsing (though i do lean toward dry most of the time).

i personally dont like to feel boxed in by rules and just figured out my own routine. i know others use only wen, and are thrilled with it. this wasnt the case for me. last summer i tried using only wen for 3-4 weeks in a row, and i just wasnt feeling right about my scalp. so i used the poo and everything was fine again.

ojon makes good low/no sulfate shampoo's and so do many health food stores.

good luck whatever you find works!

belleandme

Last edited on 4/6/2011

Last edited on 4/6/2011

bruingirl1302118540.016782 PostsRegistered 8/3/2006Los Angeles, CA
On 4/3/2011 Rowdymom said:

The quick and easy answer is more product, more rinsing. If you have some Cucumber Aloe it can't hurt to do a cleanse with that once a week or so, or use that on your scalp and your usual formula on your ends. Another option (my personal choice) is Tea Tree on your scalp and your favorite formula on your ends. I use either Lavender or Pom.

It takes a while to get used to the feel of hair that isn't being stripped when you cleanse and to change your mindset of what feels "clean". As others have said, the cuticle will feel smoother and you won't get that harsh "squeak" when you feel your freshly rinsed hair. I do like to feel a subtle one, to let me know that I have rinsed effectively, but not like I did with shampoo.

When you apply your WEN, make sure that you use enough that it feels creamy to the touch after you added your water. If it doesn't, add a pump or two. If it feels too heavy, decrease by a pump or two next time. I find that as my hair grows between cuts, I need to adjust my pumps a time or two to get a good result. After you've allowed the WEN to stay in your hair, rinse well... and when you're thinking you're done rinsing, rinse a little more.Smile Always finish your rinse with as cool a final rinse as you can tolerate.

Don't forget your styling products. If you do use a pump or so of leave in and Styling Cream, only apply those to the lower 2/3 of your hair, keeping it away from your scalp.

Good luck with your WEN!

ditto what Rowdymom said...I would add to make sure you comb thru while rinsing...that helps make sure all of the product gets rinsed out. I've been using wen for over 4 years and I've never had buildup.

Live.....Laugh.....Love

Lowry831302120799.6273370 PostsRegistered 8/15/2008

I agree with those who said more rinsing likely would help. Also, for at least some of your cleansings, do a cleanse, rinse and repeat - with half your normal amount of WEN for each cleanse. I don't have to do this every time - maybe every other time I cleanse.

Page 1 of 1