Better Than Black Friday
32 Members and 13495 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Severe Sciatica pain and Botox Injection ??

Started 1283528653.95 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1283716971.437 by debcakes

I have a good friend that is in the hospital with severe sciatica pain, the Dr has decided to try Botox injection's.

has anyone had botox for sciatica? did it work how long did it last. TY Katie

Page 1 of 1
Magenta1283529292.4479585 PostsRegistered 11/4/2004washington, d.c.

i think there are so many alternative ways of dealing with this, doing botox is awful, is m.o. and i would imagine more expensive too!!

chiropractors and acupuncturists deal with this all the time. there is also alternative medicine from health food store that helps this (abt. $10.00 per bottle.) one such brand at Whole Foods is HYLAND, AN AMERICAN COMP. THAT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR MORE THAN A CENTURY.

Magenta

sfnative1283531952.4375782 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Portland, OR

It's certainly worth an internet search on the subject.

I have a colleague here at work who suggested I consider botox for my chronic migraines. She had had great success with it. Three years later and under the care of a new migraine neurologist who suggested the same thing, I am free of migraines!

Since I am also plagued with sciatic pain, I'm going to check this out - big time. I want to see the results of clinical trials, etc.

San Francisco Giants
2014 World Series Champs!

antyel1283533041.77310585 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Miami
On 9/3/2010 sfnative said:

It's certainly worth an internet search on the subject.

I have a colleague here at work who suggested I consider botox for my chronic migraines. She had had great success with it. Three years later and under the care of a new migraine neurologist who suggested the same thing, I am free of migraines!

Since I am also plagued with sciatic pain, I'm going to check this out - big time. I want to see the results of clinical trials, etc.

I am with you. When I get it I want to cry. It feels like there is a machete in my tush. Perhaps it will help with cellulite too!

Ellen

"I Am Woman Hear Me Roar"
14 year breast cancer survivor!!

violann1283533277.84712956 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004

It seems to me that botox would be quite a logical choice, inasmuch as it releases the tension in the muscles.

The most simple (almost silly sounding) tip I ever heard was to sleep with a pillow between the knees, but I know that can work for some people.

Hope she feels better soon.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

lovemygigi1283541066.245095 PostsRegistered 3/12/2010

I receive Botox in my spinal muscles to relieve spasm...it really helps me!

..." Right now, I'm in the sweet spot between complete ignorance and righteous indignation..." Stephen Colbert, 6/5/2014

Shorty2U1283542506.8315155 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA

Never was offered Botox and have been going to a pain center for 10 years. I get steroid injections, nerves burnt, other injections etc etc etc.. so I know nothing at all about this (but I find it interesting)

I KNOW alot here say chiropractors helped them, (they made me 10X worse) I know people use accupuncture, (I tried it a few times, although wasnt able to keep going because insurance doesnt cover it and its a fortune but accupuncture only gave me temporary relief).

I guess it boils down to what doesnt work for some works for others. I wish your friend good luck. Pain is no picnic.

(Oh PS Im surprised they admitted her to a hospital. I went 3 times before (twice ambulanced) and they gave me a shot and send me home, so I no longer bother to go when I have flare ups of severe pain//which is alot).

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

marmot241283542526.32423 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009 Steeler country

I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread for suggestions on dealing with sciatica pain. Lately I have been waking up every day with it, sit with ice on back for about 1/2 hr. and that relieves it somewhat.

I'm just about to buy a new mattress, but should I get firmer, softer??? I'm definately going to try the pillow between knees tonight.

Keep those suggestions comin!!

Marmot to 4 and Bob the fox terrier.

My kitties have a prized home with canned food & lots of love!

sfnative1283544693.2175782 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Portland, OR

Marmot:

I thought I was doing the right thing when I bought us a Tem-pur-pedic mattress. It was horrible for my back. After sleeping on it for two years, I asked a physical therapist about those beds and he said that they are considered "firm" and that I had no business sleeping on one.

Of interest, Tem-pur-pedic has changed their TV advertising of late. They now say that their mattresses are for people without previous back pain or something to that effect. Interesting!

So...I purchased a Sweda latex bed (has lots more give). Latex is from the rubber tree, so it's a "green" product. Also, the padding over it is "green also," so it doesn't provide a welcome home for mites and the like. My second choice would have been a Sleep Number bed.

San Francisco Giants
2014 World Series Champs!

violann1283546188.01712956 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
On 9/3/2010 marmot24 said:

I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread for suggestions on dealing with sciatica pain. Lately I have been waking up every day with it, sit with ice on back for about 1/2 hr. and that relieves it somewhat.

I'm just about to buy a new mattress, but should I get firmer, softer??? I'm definately going to try the pillow between knees tonight.

Keep those suggestions comin!!

Marmot to 4 and Bob the fox terrier.

The only thing that works for me is a thick (12") latex mattress on a firm base. I also use a Cuddle Ewe and could not be without one. This combination lets your body sink in a bit- most of my pain is in my hips and the small of my back since 2 pregnancies with 10 pound boys- but it definitely hurts more if there isn't a secure base to keep the areas of support from shifting when you move in your sleep.

The Cuddle Ewe is amazing, and I can't imagine why it works but it does. They're expensive but they really last if you take care of them. Also, don't be put off by the wool. They really do keep the bed cooler in hot weather and cozier when it's cool.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

Magenta1283547613.869585 PostsRegistered 11/4/2004washington, d.c.

we all want immediate results, but in some cases we have to do something for it.

first, acupuncture at times for permanent healing one needs between 6-9 treatments. also, a good chiropractor teaches exercise how to improve. i can't teach you which ones, but for me that has helped too.

and the other thing i recommended was a medicine, alternative, by this american outstanding company who has been practicing for over a century, and at least one knows what one has....

one thing i have against botox is that we don't know what it does to the body in another 20-30 years, long-term, as that has not been proven. nothing for nothing, and why not try the other solutions?? can't understand it.

Magenta

Miss Lorra­ine1283549092.1276805 PostsRegistered 3/23/2007
On 9/3/2010 Magenta said:

i think there are so many alternative ways of dealing with this, doing botox is awful, is m.o. and i would imagine more expensive too!!

chiropractors and acupuncturists deal with this all the time. there is also alternative medicine from health food store that helps this (abt. $10.00 per bottle.) one such brand at Whole Foods is HYLAND, AN AMERICAN COMP. THAT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR MORE THAN A CENTURY.

Magenta

Ignore this person. If you haven't had to deal with this situation, you don't know what you're talking about.

PS--Magenta, are you a sales rep for Hyland? I'll bet you are.

BASTET1283575738.89221 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007

I have had botox for muscle spasms in my neck and back and yes, it has helped. I imagine some correctly placed injections would help with sciatica if you are a good candidate for this.

GrannySher­ry1283639805.4576720 PostsRegistered 1/26/2010Proud So. Cal. South Bay native now in WA state

Magenta, you need to get better educated as you have NO idea what you're yapping about.

Shorty2U1283710924.2115155 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA

For those who asked what else?

If you can tolerate it and are not allergic to, try to take any IBuProfen products they work because they reduce inflammation, but it takes a while (maybe weeks of taking it and you shouldnt take it long long term ie IB can bad for your stomach etc long term).

And yes sleeping on your side in the fetal position with a pillow between your knees helps relieve the pressure. (some also sleep on their back with a pillow under the knees but I cant tolerate that one much)

There are excercises too that you can ask your docs about or look up online (they havent worked for me, but they do help alot for others).

Lastly heat OR ice. Some people rotate those two, some prefer one or the other.

With a bad back never lay in bed or sit too long. Try (if the pain is lighter) to walk around even if only in your house. (I know its very hard to walk at all with severe pain believe me, but if you can try).

On the mattresses I never heard of those Latex? ones. We have a regular mattress (not springs) and we have the two level system pedic topper (bottom is sturdy/ top foam) Q sells on our mattress. I find it to feel good even though I have read that foam is not good for bad backs, but that it is best to be be on a semi hard mattress. So I believe the person who posted about the 12" thick Latex has a point (thanks for mentioning that, we are hoping to buy a new mattress next year and I will look into that!).

Well. I hope those suffering get relief. I know what is like to have bad back pain. Not good.

Ps I am going to ask my pain team about the botox..Thanks..

Take care, Shorty

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Katmary1283715432.6031618 PostsRegistered 4/24/2006

Irish Mama,

I'm glad to hear Botox was offered to your friend, I haven't heard of anyone yet who has had it for sciatic pain, but it's become fairly common with pelvic nerve pain injuries, possibly because there's often more than one nerve injured in many who have pelvic injuries. I've also had them for headaches (had a histamine reaction and had secondary alopecia) where my head was burning real bad and had severe headaches and it helped to numb the sensation of burning and the headaches lessened quite a bit. I haven't tried them for pelvic pain, I've only had the Lidocaine-type injections for that, obturator, and for sciatic pain, then have had many steroid injections over the years in all of the nerves with varying success depending on how often they were done and when they were done. When I was younger and had a severe herniation they didn't work at all, but prior to my last back surgery when that same disc reherniated (19 yrs later) and I had bad congenital stenosis in the disc above it, they seemed to help. While the surgery helped my back quite a bit, I have some permament nerve problems and the sciatic nerve tends to irritate the others from spasming in the hip and rear and triggering the others, so I've had them as needed the last year to two years.

If I remember correctly, The American Pain Foundation has done articles on Botox injections. I think it was two articles ago (August or July newsletter) that they had a story on them. Their online newsletters are great at putting out pain information first and I've been getting them for years. I strongly recommend them. I think it's a dot org, but am not positive.

debcakes1283716971.4371926 PostsRegistered 11/18/2006

I saw an old grade school friend a while ago. He looked great. He explained that he had been a a terrible accident at work and had a lot of damage. One of the things that happened was that he was left with an eye tick so bad it really interfered. One side of his face had quite a bit of damage. Botox took care of it. Then of course one side of his face looked so good, they had to even out the other side for cosmetic reasons.

I'm sure the injuries bother him daily, but yes, botox can be used for medical reasons.

Page 1 of 1