Just-Reduced Clearance
143 Members and 17110 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Help Please a stray cat scratched me and she has had no shots at all!

Started 1282012722.61 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1282264177.497 by EM7

I washed with soap used peroxide and then neosporin then I took off neosporin and washed again added peroxide and alcohol. The scratches did not bleed but did break the skin. I am going to call my doctor in the morning.....I can't get the cat because she runs away to know if she has rabbies. She has never foamed at the mouth. I feed her daily. For those that want to help please and thank you.

Page 1 of 2
kiddo1282013078.6510263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

So far, so good.

But -- even though there was no blood -- most probably you're gonna need a tetanus shot. OR an antibiotic shot.

The peroxide and alcohol.. well.. the first time you used it would be the ONLY time you'd need to use it. And the Neosporin is the best move for helping the SKIN of the scratched areas to heal.

HOWEVER - you really DO need to call the local Emergency Room to ask for advice. Or, I hate to tell ya, you probably need to just take yourself there NOW.

If you can't get a call in to the Emergency Room TONIGHT -- then, tomorrow, call your doctor's office to get in right away.

Definition

Rabies is a frequently fatal, acute viral infection. You can get rabies when an infected animal (often raccoons, dogs, or bats) bites you or when the infected animal's saliva touches a scrape or cut on your skin. Rabies may also be spread from person to person through organ transplantation.

This next is from the site -- How Stuff Works - Cat Disease Basics

Rabies. This is serious business. Rabies is a fatal disease. What's more, once the disease has taken hold, there's not much that can be done to stop it. The best defense against rabies is a strong offense. An indoor cat has nearly no chance of being exposed to rabies, but the safest bet is to give your cat a rabies vaccine and keep it current.

Rabies is passed in the bite or scratch of an infected animal, so every time an outdoor cat gets in a scrape with another cat or tangles with local wildlife, there's a chance she'll contract it.

Rabies infects all warm-blooded animals, including people.

Any bite or scratch from an animal -- even one that you know and that's up-to-date with its rabies shots -- should be treated as potentially dangerous.

It's never an overreaction to seek medical care for a cat bite or serious cat scratch.

Cat scratch disease (also referred to as cat scratch fever). Some folks insist that cat scratch fever is a myth, but it really is a medically proven disease. Cat scratches and bites can turn into serious infections literally overnight. Cat bites, in particular, need careful attention.

Wash bites or serious scratches thoroughly and call your doctor for advice.

You may need a tetanus booster or an antibiotic shot to prevent infection.

Last edited on 8/16/2010

Last edited on 8/16/2010

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

drkcharger1282013453.183777 PostsRegistered 2/17/2005

You did the right thing! keep it clean till you talk to your doctor. I don't think you need to over med. but i would have done the same. Washing with soap and water was the best thing to do and then the neosporin. I really doubt she had rabies but talking to your doc. is a good thing.An infection is probably more likely than rabies in witch she probably would have bitten you first as well as been acting kinda sick herself. Don't get me wrong though,scratches can be sorta nasty on there own.

Keep us posted and try not to worry to much. I'm pretty sure rabies is only contracted from the bite of an animal

kiddo1282013675.68310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Rabies does not transmit from only a bite. In any case, I have a relative who had to have a series of anti-rabies shots just from having picked up a dead animal of uncertain origin.

Don't worry too much. Don't give it less medical attention than it still needs.

Call your local Emergency Room and get some advice for whether - or not -- you must go in for a doctor there to take a look-see at the scratches even before you get a chance to speak with your own doctor tomorrow.

Please.

----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

drkcharger1282013699.043777 PostsRegistered 2/17/2005

ok i stand corrected here. I was always told and my cat books say from a bite.

Sorry, i wouldn't want to misguide you in any way. But definatly see a doctor

sista1282013790.107917 PostsRegistered 8/14/2007

If the skin was not broken, it doesn't qualify as a serious scratch. The worst thing would be the cat has dirty claws. I wouldn't worry about rabies, cat scratch, blah blah. Meaning, you washed it, it's clean, nothing entered your system. Don't freak out.

Call your dr. to see if you need antibiotics. Personally, I wouldn't take antibiotics for a surface scratch, but I tend to think they are for more serious injuries.

Wear garden gloves and long sleeves when feeding her, and make sure she has enough space that she doesn't strike out at you. Don't try to pet her or pick her up.

Feral cats can be aggressive. But the poor things are still hungry, and it is kind of you to feed her.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Consider the cat....for he is of the Tribe of the Tiger.

Tissyannie1282013884.5136563 PostsRegistered 6/26/2010

I am not trying to tell you what to do but I hope you will not panic. If you have been feeding this cat chances are that it does not have rabies. My husband was actually bitten by a stray we were feeding and nothing came of it. Check with your doctor though to get his/her advice. Again, please do not panic.

Last edited on 8/16/2010

Last edited on 8/16/2010

I go to prepare a place for you, in my father's house are many mansions.

kiddo1282014187.49310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

I've learned that animals that are sick do not always appear to be sick.

The cat may or may not be sick. If they are, they won't necessarily show any signs of an illness.. even rabies.

It's an instinctive thing. This is because if they show signs of being sick, then their enemies in the animal world who consider them to be prey.. would attack them and kill them.

The cat may -- or may not -- have rabies or any other infectious disease. You just don't know.

Please. Call the Emergency Room right NOW -- because you'll probably be on hold for a long time.

Or.. just take yourself there. Bring a book. And an MP3 player or iPod for while you wait.

Better safe.. than sorry.

You've done GREAT so far! Drkcharger and I both are advising you to see a doctor.

----------------------------

RABIES

Causes

Rabies is spread by infected saliva that enters the body through a bite or broken skin. The virus travels from the wound to the brain, where it causes swelling, or inflammation. This inflammation leads to symptoms of the disease.

Symptoms

The actual time between infection and when you get sick (called the "incubation period") ranges from 10 days - 7 years. The average incubation period is 3 - 7 weeks.

Symptoms may include:

----

Ilovehummi­ngbirds1282014218.9035018 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

Many thanks to each of you. I am going to call the doctor in the morning and go to Urgent Care. I may need a tetnus shot....for some reason I can't use spell check on this.......so I will update tomorrow.

Ilovehummi­ngbirds1282014283.2435018 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
On 8/16/2010 Tissyannie said:

I am not trying to tell you what to do but I hope you will not panic. If you have been feeding this cat chances are that it does not have rabies. My husband was actually bitten by a stray we were feeding and nothing came of it. Check with your doctor though to get his/her advice. Again, please do not panic.

Last edited on 8/16/2010

I am praying and I am trying to not worry. I know the Lord loves us. Thank you for your help.....and everyone else thank you!

Jeantippit­ytop1282014627.98607 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010

Definitely see a doctor. Other than rabies there is cat scratch feuer so you should seek medical attention.

JTT

doodles761282014748.72379 PostsRegistered 8/16/2010

Why are you in such a panic? Nothing is going to happen to you tonight. If it's been 10 years, of course, your dr. will say came in. What dr. says don't come in? Hope this doesn't discourage you from feeding the cats. We've been taking care of feral cats for 15 years.

Ilovehummi­ngbirds1282014790.3235018 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

My skin was broken just no blood. I forgot to add that I was trying to put her in a box because my neighbor has a friend that wants her....she was going to get her shots and all. They it why she clawed me. I will never do that again. In our city they will not take cats..I have tried to find her a good home and I fed her because she was so hungry.

Penny in O­KC1282021283.06727 PostsRegistered 8/6/2010

Cat bites AND scratches can cause very serious medical problems if untreated. Don't panic but be very precautious. I was bitten by my indoor cat in the middle of the night and by morning, my hand was swollen like a balloon. I had to go to the Dr. for three consecutive days to have the wounds irrigated and treated. I also was unable to use my hand for almost a week and had to take medicine. It turned out to be quite an ordeal and quite costly. Considering the missed time from work, Dr. office copays, medications not to mention all the teasing from everyone. Good luck!!!

sylviahome­atlast1282021335.519846 PostsRegistered 6/9/2008CO

go to the ER

I got an infection from my own cat,sylvia from a toenail stick--I soaked it 3xday until the redness claered up--

DON"T squeeze it!! that drives the infection into your body

Last edited on 8/16/2010

Last edited on 8/16/2010

"I am light.I am death. I am life. I am darkness. I am light. I am error. am truth.I am destruction. I am creation.I am light. I am error.I am the wound. I am healing."
Eliot Weinberger "An Elemental Thing"

sista1282022086.25917 PostsRegistered 8/14/2007
On 8/16/2010 Ilovehummingbirds said:

My skin was broken just no blood. I forgot to add that I was trying to put her in a box because my neighbor has a friend that wants her....she was going to get her shots and all. They it why she clawed me. I will never do that again. In our city they will not take cats..I have tried to find her a good home and I fed her because she was so hungry.

What a sweet thing to do! She is lucky to have picked your house. You can probably still catch her, she'll be back looking for her food. See if you can find a HavAHeart trap to catch her, maybe from a vet's office. It would be a shame for her to lose out on a home because she got scared.

Good luck and let us know what happens - we love our kitties around here, don't we?

Consider the cat....for he is of the Tribe of the Tiger.

stuyvesant1282023279.128316 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010

This is a situation where you definitely need to be safe, not sorry. I think it works to your advantage that you kindly fed the cat. If push comes to shove, and it's not likely that it will, the cat can be captured by feeding it a narcotic.

~~~

Desertdi1282024448.46716393 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

wouldn't shots only help if the cat bit you?

cindychats1282038683.52717559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008

you have 72 hrs to get a tatenus shot. the incubation period for rabies is not immediate either. If you were able to confine the animal for 10 days for observation for symptoms that would be the protocol in MS. if the animal were dead and you are going to save it to send away for testing, keep it cool but do not freeze. if it comes back with a positive result(which takes time) then you take the rabies shots.

Some people would go to the ER, some people would see the doc the next day and some would not.

All have their own opinions.

darlight1282039654.8672328 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007NY

wow, all this from a scratch that did not break the skin? It does not seem like something to freak out about..

They will probably give a tetnus shot.

Now a cat BITE is something else, I had them and the pain is so bad and risk of infection big time..

dont blame the kitty, sounds like he was scared and gave you a quick swipe of the paw,

They can do alot worse if they have a mind to..

EM71282055346.5931917 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009
On 8/17/2010 darklight said:

wow, all this from a scratch that did not break the skin? It does not seem like something to freak out about..

Now a cat BITE is something else, I had them and the pain is so bad and risk of infection big time..

dont blame the kitty, sounds like he was scared and gave you a quick swipe of the paw,

I have to say I'm also pretty amazed at the kerfuffle over a scratch. You don't get rabies from a scratch--it's transmitted by saliva, so, yeah, it doesn't have to be a bite, but the animal's saliva would need to get into an open wound somehow, which is pretty unlikely, and unless you're in some area where rabies is a specific concern, there is little chance of the animal having it in the first place.

Obviously any wound can become infected, so normal precautions should be taken, and it sounds like they were. A bite is a lot more likely to need medical attention than a minor scratch.

Missey11282056396.333174 PostsRegistered 12/21/2008Sierra Foothills CA

Rabies is transmited from animal to man by exposure of infected saliva through broken skin. It is not transmitted from a scratch by the paw. If you are that worried about rabies, and have been feeding this stray, continue to feed for at least 10 days and if the animal is alive and well by the end of that time it does not have rabies. Check with your animal control/health department. You could also trap the cat and have it quarantined. I truly think you are over reacting. And stop trying to pet stray animals.

Missey11282056782.0633174 PostsRegistered 12/21/2008Sierra Foothills CA
On 8/17/2010 EM7 said:
On 8/17/2010 darklight said:

I have to say I'm also pretty amazed at the kerfuffle over a scratch. You don't get rabies from a scratch--it's transmitted by saliva, so, yeah, it doesn't have to be a bite, but the animal's saliva would need to get into an open wound somehow, which is pretty unlikely, and unless you're in some area where rabies is a specific concern, there is little chance of the animal having it in the first place.

Obviously any wound can become infected, so normal precautions should be taken, and it sounds like they were. A bite is a lot more likely to need medical attention than a minor scratch.

Both of you, well said. In addition, trapping the stray, getting him/her fixed, vaccinatiated and then re-releasing if no other accomodations can be found would really be the responsible thing to do. This is not an uncommon thing to have done to a stray.

Brabls1282057013.04714740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007
On 8/16/2010 sylviahomeatlast said:

go to the ER

I got an infection from my own cat,sylvia from a toenail stick--I soaked it 3xday until the redness claered up--

DON"T squeeze it!! that drives the infection into your body

Last edited on 8/16/2010

If not bite, onlyreal issues are infections. I got cat scratch fever from a dog or cat who scratched me. Talk to you doc.

Burnsite1282057831.627589 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

Brabls is right. I knew someone who had cat scratch fever.

An outside cat will have more germs on the claws than an indoor kitty. I would think that rabies is quite unlikely, but cat scratch fever is not uncommon.

The person I knew had a flu-like fever but then a long, mono like illness after that as well.

I almost got scratched doing the same thing early this summer with a stray that matched the description of a Lost Cat posted around my neighborhood. He was fine with being picked up until. . . a gigantic Sears semi suddenly roared into my driveway (they were delivering an appliance). It was almost like a cartoon. He clawed, but I had work gloves on, then he lit out, went right through my patio screen like Wile E Coyote in a Road Runner cartoon. I was able to call the owner, and she did find him later that day.

Miss Lorra­ine1282057963.5236805 PostsRegistered 3/23/2007

One answer and one answer only: SEE YOUR DOCTOR if you haven't already.

Page 1 of 2