New Holiday Decor
69 Members and 16616 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Poor Grammar On TV

Started 1275842916.8 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1275865852.447 by violann

We're all so tired of all the umms, as well, amazing, love it, etc on the Q.

I've been noticing the same speech patterns on a lot of TV shows and newscasts. On the Today show someone was talking about fashion and accessories and must have ended every sentence with "as well". I had to hit the mute button.

Pay attention when listening and you'll hear the same sloppy speech pattern on so many shows, not just Q. Guess good grammar is a thing of the past.

There, I've vented. Thanks for listening.Smile

what a long strange trip it's been

Page 1 of 1
Chicagomag­nolia1275843489.0818 PostsRegistered 2/8/2009

The newer male host whose last name is Redford has terrible grammar. I cannot understand why they don't get him some help with this. He does seem like a nice guy.

abbeythe8th1275845923.194133 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007

What drives me nuts is when the professional does not know when to use a subjective case or an objective case pronoun. For instance, between John and I or send it to John or I. If the object of the preposition is a pronoun, it calls for the objective case. I can still see those diagrammed sentences all over the board.

Melly1231275846610.9772547 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008

Functionality. I hate this addition to the English language. I'm a bit of a book collector and just checked (again) my Webster's Unabridged New 12th Century Dictionary of the English Language,published in 1951. The kind that got their own podium in a library they are so huge and cumbersome. Nowhere is this word defined! If an item is useful it will function properly. If an item functions properly, it will be useful. One could even say that an useful item possesses function.

When the -ality is added it seems to me to be a pathetic attempt to personify an item with some type of personality! I HATE IT!

Thanks for letting me vent.

happygal1275847148.4072715 PostsRegistered 10/22/2005

I haven't noticed the grammar so much, but maybe I will now.

What bothers me is when the hosts waste time ohhhh-ing and ahhhh-ing over an item, saying how high-end it is, it looks like what you would see in Italy, or New York, heads will turn when you walk in a room, blah, blah, blah...... Well, I can decide this for myself, just show me the item and point out the features, close-ups, models, show me how it can be worn or used. Don't waste time just talking. This especially bugs me when I watch a video of the presentation of an item. I just want to see it and learn about it, not hear their opinions. Facts, I want facts!

Troop_Angel1275847208.8535424 PostsRegistered 4/22/2006

I agree, poor grammar is a lot more evident these days. And young people use so much slang; no one corrects them. I shudder at that because English was always my favorite subject in school. I was taught by nuns from first grade through high school. In high school, we were still diagramming sentences. And we had so much reading to do, mostly the classics. I doubt if public schools emphasize any of that. That's why parents have to be proactive, and pay attention to what is going on in the classrooms.

Margo Chan­ning1275850314.6613381 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007

It's becoming a problem online as well{#emotions_dlg.lol}

It's not the typing, it's arthritis.
NO-ONE puts Leisle in the corner
BRING OUR GIRLS HOME

chickenbutt1275850530.9124193 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Poor grammar seems to be the norm, these days, pretty much everywhere. Back when I grew up we had to go to English classes that taught grammar and spelling. I guess they don't have that anymore. It's a shame, really, as I tend to disregard people who speak with poor grammar.

While we're at it - I just think we need to get rid of the pronouns and the apostrophe. I don't know what color the sky is on somebody's planet who will say something like 'me and my husband went to the store'. Seriously? Like fingernails on a blackboard!

As for the apostrophe - I thought the difference between a plural and a possessive was taught in elementary school...no?

Last edited on 6/6/2010

Last edited on 6/6/2010

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

lulu21275853697.3321428 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
On 6/6/2010 chickenbutt said:

While we're at it - I just think we need to get rid of the pronouns and the apostrophe. I don't know what color the sky is on somebody's planet who will say something like 'me and my husband went to the store'. Seriously? Like fingernails on a blackboard!

My MIL ALWAYS said, "him and I". It drove me nuts and obviously said so when our son was around. When he was about ten he told his Nanny, he goes with I, and him goes with me. She told him, "not always".{#emotions_dlg.scared}

esmerelda1275854598.4914409 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Overuse of the phrase "right now."

The temperature is 88...right now.

The story is unfolding...right now.

If you're saying "is," it's right now. No need to be redundant.

Starting sentences with "now," like we're 3.

"Now, police are saying...."

"Now, it appears that...."

I thought these people went to college. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Nothing fuels bravery more than the lack of the will to live. ~Lovers at the Chameleon Club, Paris 1932: A Novel (Francine Prose)

sunala1275854839.4919493 PostsRegistered 11/13/2004

I heard Oprah say "mis-chee-vee-us" instead of "mis-chi-vus."

I expected more from her, somehow. I mean, doesn't she talk for a living? {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I don't expect much from the Q hosts, who make up their own words...like "fabrication." Umm that's not the cloth, it's a LIE!

Sunny

He who limps is still walking.
~~Joan Rivers

Don't take an elevator if you have to go to the bathroom.
~~My mom

lulu21275854935.11721428 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

Sunny,

I believe both pronunciations are correct.

here

Last edited on 6/6/2010

Last edited on 6/6/2010

Kathleen1275854938.04713114 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
On 6/6/2010 esmerelda said:

If you're saying "is," it's right now. No need to be redundant.

Reminds me of the words of a prominent political figure: {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is.

pommom1275857440.7833488 PostsRegistered 9/19/2006

My biggest pet peeve is when the hosts use the singular when they should use the plural word. For instance, "We started out with (fill in the blank) and there's only (____) left.

Correct grammar would be, "there are".

Every single host has made that mistake - yes, including Mary Beth, Lisa M & Lisa R, Jill, etc., etc.

Namaste

sunala1275858075.9419493 PostsRegistered 11/13/2004
On 6/6/2010 lulu2 said:

Sunny,

I believe both pronunciations are correct.

here

Last edited on 6/6/2010

lulu thanks! I looked it up when Oprah said it, and her pronunciation was not listed. Go figure {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Sunny

He who limps is still walking.
~~Joan Rivers

Don't take an elevator if you have to go to the bathroom.
~~My mom

BacktoBrun­ette1275858629.0534256 PostsRegistered 12/22/2008PA, but a NJ native

ITA about the preponderence of bad grammar - everywhere - but long-held speech patterns are often very hard to change as they're just 'automatic'. Also, your education and upbringing come into play as well.

Last edited on 6/6/2010

Last edited on 6/6/2010

~ The only thing that every person deeply wants is to be validated; to know that they matter. ~

docsgirl1275864325.673652 PostsRegistered 10/15/2006

Improper grammar is an accepted fact of life. I hear it used by our local newscasters. As an English teacher, it grates on my nerves but I feel helpless. Another teacher and I refer to ourselves as the Grammar Police. For a class assignment, I had my students watch the local newscast of their choice. They were to write down all the grammatical infractions they heard. Their lists were quite long. We made copies and I mailed them to the stations with a request that these infractions be corrected. I received a phone call from one station manager who wanted to know 'what grammar fractions I meant.' He didn't got no clue! I rest my case!!! {#emotions_dlg.scared} docsgirl {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

LaterGator1275864709.59710201 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007
On 6/6/2010 abbeythe8th said:

What drives me nuts is when the professional does not know when to use a subjective case or an objective case pronoun. For instance, between John and I or send it to John or I. If the object of the preposition is a pronoun, it calls for the objective case. I can still see those diagrammed sentences all over the board.

Between John and "I"? Send it to John and "I"? I don't understand your use of the English language.

LaterGator1275864827.0310201 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007
On 6/6/2010 Melly123 said:

Functionality. I hate this addition to the English language. I'm a bit of a book collector and just checked (again) my Webster's Unabridged New 12th Century Dictionary of the English Language,published in 1951. The kind that got their own podium in a library they are so huge and cumbersome. Nowhere is this word defined! If an item is useful it will function properly. If an item functions properly, it will be useful. One could even say that an useful item possesses function.

When the -ality is added it seems to me to be a pathetic attempt to personify an item with some type of personality! I HATE IT!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Do you mean 20th Century? 12th Century is kind of old, isn't it?

AbigailAda­ms1275864974.441177 PostsRegistered 5/7/2010

The "ums" drive me crazy (*cough* PAT *cough*). I don't much mind the "I" and "me" mixups. I flub those up myself.

The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable. -- James Garfield

abbeythe8th1275865009.5834133 PostsRegistered 9/2/2007
On 6/6/2010 Rover said:

Between John and "I"? Send it to John and "I"? I don't understand your use of the English language.

I hear "I" when it should be "me". Between and to are prepositions which require an objective pronoun.

LaterGator1275865164.2110201 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007
On 6/6/2010 Rover said:

I hear "I" when it should be "me". Between and to are prepositions which require an objective pronoun.

Okay. I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. I have to go back to my English books. Sorry.

violann1275865852.44712698 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004

The "test" for compound pronouns is how each pronoun stands alone. If you were to say "Send it to John and I" you would be combining "Send it to I" with "Send it to John".

The "ear" test is not the absolute bottom line in formal English. It is no longer considered important to teach formal English grammar in school, so in fact, very few people speak English according to rules.

Because so few speakers speak the language formally, what used to be considered proper English can sound stilted and fussy to the contemporary ear.

For myself, I love the sound of formal English, and for better or for worse, usually use the rules of old-fashioned grammar when speaking. Stuffy ol' me.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

Page 1 of 1