Guaranteed Delivery
112 Members and 17495 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Trex deck or other composite material.....do you like it?

Started 1275737094.03 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1275802213.613 by LaterGator

We are thinking of having our deck replaced with a composite material (trex or veranda). I've been reading online that they can stain, crack and are slippery when wet or icy.

Is it a good product? Do you like what you have or know others that like/hate it?

Page 1 of 1
lizofgeorg­ia1275741133.39195 PostsRegistered 11/13/2008New England girl in love with the south

My neighbor has Trex decking, going on two years, and loves it. No staining or cracking. Not sure about being slippery. Does Trex or Veranda have a textured decking that would prevent slipping>

Kitlynn1275742811.712563 PostsRegistered 1/4/2008Colorado

We have had our Trex patio for over five years and we Love It!! It is the dark color and it still looks brand new. It doesn't have scratches and we have two small dogs running around on it all the time. My DH power washes it each Spring and it just cleans up like a dream. We also don't have any slickness problem either. Supposedly the lighter colors will show scratches but I don't know this first hand.

You get one go round in this old world and you better make the most of it. It is not a dress rehearsal! Step out of your box and enjoy all that life has to offer!

Jen-PT1275745266.891796 PostsRegistered 9/14/2007West Coast

We have a composite deck and love it. We picked a beautiful color that looks like real wood and designed a multi-layer deck with a beautiful design in how the boards were layed out. We've had it for about 3 years and it looks brand new. The first house we built had a wood deck and after 3 years, it looked horrible--and that was with staining it every year. A composite deck is maintenance free, other than power washing it once in a while. I highly recommend spending the extra money on a composite deck.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they are sexy.

Jen-PT1275745396.5371796 PostsRegistered 9/14/2007West Coast

Forgot to add, it does not get slippery, ours hasn't stained or cracked either but it does get very hot in the summer if the suns beating down on it.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they are sexy.

Lynneuk1275756739.2378370 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

This is the twelth summer for our Trex deck.

We got it when it was still new and not many people had tried it yet.

It still looks awesome although it does get mildew underneath our hanging baskets but we clean it with olympic deck cleaner and it comes right off. Even when things are called maintenance free it doesn't mean you never have to clean it. Just don't have to stain or repaint etc.

It has not stained and is not slippery at all.

Would definitely recommend it.

Lynne

minkbunny1275758438.76727759 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

What a timely thread, I am currently on a break from putting the clear waterproffing/uv treatment on our new wooden deck (and then I will do the new front porch.)

We talked to our builder about the composites but decided, for our setting in the country, treated wood would be best.

And it is so pretty, they actually delivered a whole load of boards and my husband and the builder picked out certain boards for the railings, the stairs, the deck, etc - so the grain and the knots, etc. would be in the prettiest spots.

It is looking great, just as we had hoped. The boards are a pretty dark honey color.

Very happy with our decision, but had we lived in a development or somewhere, the composite would have been a good choice.

Same with fencing, we have split rail and pipe corral (for the horses). In town, I see a lot of the three board white composite fences, pretty but not sturdy enough for a farm.

Enoy whatever you have chosen in good health,

minkySmile

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are it seems.

“Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life,
love gives us a fairy tale”

Subject1275758889.83311269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

I heard you have to be careful picking out a good brand that does not mildrew and get moldy.

Allegheny1275760552.861424 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007PA
On 6/5/2010 minkbunny said:

What a timely thread, I am currently on a break from putting the clear waterproffing/uv treatment on our new wooden deck (and then I will do the new front porch.)

We talked to our builder about the composites but decided, for our setting in the country, treated wood would be best.

And it is so pretty, they actually delivered a whole load of boards and my husband and the builder picked out certain boards for the railings, the stairs, the deck, etc - so the grain and the knots, etc. would be in the prettiest spots.

It is looking great, just as we had hoped. The boards are a pretty dark honey color.

Very happy with our decision, but had we lived in a development or somewhere, the composite would have been a good choice.

Same with fencing, we have split rail and pipe corral (for the horses). In town, I see a lot of the three board white composite fences, pretty but not sturdy enough for a farm.

Enoy whatever you have chosen in good health,

minkySmile

Hi Minkbunny,

I know how you feel about wood. We have a cedar house in the woods. When we decided to replace our deck last year I pitched a royal fit because I wanted to keep it all wood. DH said we needed to do a different material as he didn't want to deal with the maintenance.

We looked at several options including a stone tile, but ended up compromising. We settled for Azek composite for the deck boards, but I got to have wood for the rails and went with bronzed aluminum balusters. I am surprised how pleased I am with how it turned out.

We just cleaned it this weekend, and again, I was surprised how well it cleaned up. I was concerned because we used a very light color of decking.

Smurfette1275763257.2372267 PostsRegistered 5/27/2007Under the Moonlight

My trex deck is almost 10 years old. I think it looks in much better condition than my neighbors who have wood decks.

As others have mentioned, I do have to clean it off to keep it looking nice. However, there is absolutely no other wear or tear or need to restain.

polar1275764622.8072717 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

I have TimberTech on the back deck and it still looks good and not slippery. We just put the new Trex Transcend on the front deck and again no slipping. I prefer the Transcend to the TimberTech however and we put the Trex Transcend railing up as well. It looks so much better than the wood railing and no more painting.

minkbunny1275771591.1127759 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

PamK,

Yeah, there is something about wood. Smile

We also have a huge barn (the classic two story red barn, double doors on top and bottom front and back that are white with the black X trim.) We had to search and search to find a builder who would build us a wooden barn, not a metal Morton structure. We finally got a homebuilder to do the job as we were also installing a bathroom and kitchen in the tackroom part of the barn. He built a wooden staircase with a landing and everything, turned out great.

Someday wood will be non-existant, I fear.

Your deck design combinations sound amazing. Especially the balusters. Ours is just wood flooring, wood spindles, wide wood railings, and wood steps.

Just finished the entire back deck and took a hot bath. Ah, it looks great and I feel great.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Last edited on 6/5/2010

Last edited on 6/5/2010

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are it seems.

“Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life,
love gives us a fairy tale”

Allegheny1275799383.021424 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007PA
On 6/5/2010 minkbunny said:

PamK,

Yeah, there is something about wood. Smile

We also have a huge barn (the classic two story red barn, double doors on top and bottom front and back that are white with the black X trim.) We had to search and search to find a builder who would build us a wooden barn, not a metal Morton structure. We finally got a homebuilder to do the job as we were also installing a bathroom and kitchen in the tackroom part of the barn. He built a wooden staircase with a landing and everything, turned out great.

Someday wood will be non-existant, I fear.

Your deck design combinations sound amazing. Especially the balusters. Ours is just wood flooring, wood spindles, wide wood railings, and wood steps.

Just finished the entire back deck and took a hot bath. Ah, it looks great and I feel great.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Last edited on 6/5/2010

Hi Minkbunny,

I grew up on a farm. We had a huge barn probably built in the early 1900's. I remember the long beams which were honed using one tree. Impossible to find anymore. I'm glad when Dad sold the farm he was adamant in it going to people who wanted to continue it as a farm. It is just down the road from our home and the barn is still going strong; the owners own many horses. The old barns are becoming a thing of the past, it breaks my heart to see so many in disrepair. It would cost a small fortune to build one now the way the were in the past.

LaterGator1275802213.61310272 PostsRegistered 1/9/2007

I agree with those of you who said they would prefer reall wood in certain settings.

We have a traditional brick home and the composite decking looks great with it. We've had it for almost 5 years. It shows no wear and it hasn't bleached out in the sun and it gets really hot here in the summer. We have two decks and a balcony in composite that is a walnut color and it looks brand new. It does not get slippery when it rains and I've never noticed it feeling really hot either.

Page 1 of 1